Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS reception with Gaia in backcountry

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2022, 10:57 PM
Mudding
Received 120 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
Not sure if Gaia is being used on your phone, tethered to the Defender, or if you have it on a dedicated iPad (with or without a data plan). Each will come up with a different option. I'll stick to the easy one: on your phone. If not, just tether to your phone rather than the Defender's data plan.

Interestingly, you do NOT need cell service to get a GPS signal on your cell phone. I believe the same is true for your Defender's data, but not sure. Also, you don't need a cell subscription to call 911 (in the US), but that's a different matter. Gaia is a great app. It allows you the ability to download maps/map segments. So, just download where you plan to be, and your cell phone's GPS will serve you just fine. I do it this way a LOT.

There are other off-road specific apps that can be recommended, but I'm a huge Gaia fan and you'll love it. Good luck.

If using the Phone app (similar on the iPad) do these.

1) Starting with the app, go to where you plan to go off the grid.

2) In the upper right corner, choose those stacked rectangles. That usually lets you choose what type of map to see. Then, scroll to the bottom to "Download Maps".

3. Select the area in red you want to download. Obviously, the bigger the area the more storage. You will save the map and then be good to go when you are at the map location. This works awesome hiking as well. I use this feature a lot.

Oops. My bad. Didn't really read thru your entire post. Let me add some other thoughts. Two things re: your ACTUAL question (pays to re-read when I'm not skimming):
1. The antenna for the SIM/native nav of the Defender is in the Fin. As long as that is clear, you should get a GPS signal for your native apps or maybe JLR data plan.
2. Not sure about the SE, but I have the X-Dynamic HSE and it has a cell charger in the center console area. If you have the same, you are GOOD TO GO. That cell charger also doubles as a cell booster. The antennae is outside the Defender, 3M'd to the inside of your left rear light cluster. Well actually the plastic cover on the left rear corner that covers your brake/turn signal. As long as you aren't into deep forest, that should also serve as a GPS point. I'm pretty sure that it will also help with the GPS signal.

However, it wouldn't be a bad idea to bring one "just in case"!

Good luck and enjoy the trip!
Just to clarify a couple of things:
  1. The vehicle doesn't pass GNSS data to the iOS device - it's not like a BT GPS dongle.
  2. The cell phone booster doesn't boost GNSS reception - it only works on cellular frequencies.
I recently ran some tests inside the vehicle with a multi-constellation, dual-frequency L1/L5 GPS receiver to see if the windshield and window coatings significantly degraded the signal. The answer is yes - the windshield (solar attenuating) doesn't help. Satellite count and absolute accuracy were better with the receiver under the sunroof, although I was looking for sub-meter accuracy, which is definitely not necessary for general navigation.

I've used Gaia in many remote parts of NM, and it is generally pretty good, especially if you have the USFS maps (or Nat Geo where available) loaded which are much better than the USGS equivalents. My only significant disappointment is that Gaia lost the use of the high-resolution Google aerial imagery, which was my preferred layer for planning search and rescue operations. The alternatives are not nearly as good.

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (03-12-2022)