2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I’m out, thank you

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2021, 10:17 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 196 Likes on 112 Posts

BTW, what do the analog gauges look like?

Old 08-18-2021, 10:26 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,407 Likes on 710 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Laszlo
BTW, what do the analog gauges look like?

Old 08-18-2021, 10:38 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

For what it’s worth, I have the base analog gauge and don’t feel like I’m missing anything. There is a smaller digital screen in the middle. It can show navigation directions and other info (though I pretty much just leave it in the driver info screen that shows MPH, music info, and lane keep).

I usually run Apple CarPlay from my phone on the main screen, so that’s my primary source.

But also understand the principle and frustration of having to wait. I was lucky to buy off the lot in March, so I’ve come to be happy with what was available rather than ordering to my specs.

The following 2 users liked this post by BRW110:
Chief65 (08-19-2021), PaulLR (08-19-2021)
Old 08-18-2021, 10:38 PM
Overlanding
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Llid
After recently getting a call from my dealer saying they would have to down grade the gauge screen. I’m officially calling it quits. I love technology so having it in an almost $82,000 truck is important to me. . Land Rover has not stated it would refund the difference between a full screen and the analogue cluster. They did say that if I waited that I run the risk of getting into the 2023 model year with the included price increase. Im surprised by their complete lack of customer service and fore thought in their building process. My build was originally P400 HSE and I’ve been waiting for months. I’m really disappointed but with the Rivian SUV coming out the middle of next year and the Jeep Grand Wagoneer coming to market I certainly have options. It stings but I admire this forums passion for the Defender and off roading. Peace
Yup, I’d walk too. Not acceptable. Incidentally, the analogue guages were the first thing to go on my 96 Disco. $82K without a digital cluster is a ridiculous joke. Especially, if there isn’t some compelling compensation involved. If this is the new wave, then I’d just ride it out until the smoke clears. If I do get this call, I’ll pass as well.

The following users liked this post:
_Allegedly (08-18-2021)
Old 08-18-2021, 10:41 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 196 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by _Allegedly
Thank you.

Looks pretty good actually.

The woes of first world problems…

The following 3 users liked this post by Count Laszlo:
BBS (08-21-2021), Kev M (08-19-2021), PaulLR (08-19-2021)
Old 08-19-2021, 06:33 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,394 Likes on 688 Posts

Yeah, I prefer the analog gauges in my much-more-than-82,000-dollar Porsche GT cars to the hmm-what-to-make-it-look-like-today digitals in my cheap Land Rover.

The following 2 users liked this post by NoGaBiker:
BBS (08-21-2021), PaulLR (08-19-2021)
Old 08-19-2021, 07:50 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 634 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Laszlo
Thank you. Looks pretty good actually. The woes of first world problems…
Coming from an LR4 with analog guages and missing pixels on the display between the guages, I'd be fine with the analog display. Pretty sure I have just left my guages set to look exactly like the analog ones and will probably never change them.

As someone else noted, every manufacturer is having issues with certain components. Can only get a 200 watt base radio in a $75K BMW X5 40i right now. Now that's a deal breaker for me.

ADVAW8S (08-19-2021)
Old 08-19-2021, 07:51 AM
Mudding
Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Llid
After recently getting a call from my dealer saying they would have to down grade the gauge screen. I’m officially calling it quits. I love technology so having it in an almost $82,000 truck is important to me. . Land Rover has not stated it would refund the difference between a full screen and the analogue cluster. They did say that if I waited that I run the risk of getting into the 2023 model year with the included price increase. Im surprised by their complete lack of customer service and fore thought in their building process. My build was originally P400 HSE and I’ve been waiting for months. I’m really disappointed but with the Rivian SUV coming out the middle of next year and the Jeep Grand Wagoneer coming to market I certainly have options. It stings but I admire this forums passion for the Defender and off roading. Peace
All car manufacturers (and their dealers are in disarray). Good luck getting your Rivian. If they can’t get solid state gauge cluster, they have no backup plan. At least Land Rover designed the Defender with analog and solid state displays. FWIW, you would not lose much if you went with analog. For all practical purposes, the full digital display gives you no more functionality. There are a lot of tech things in the defender I would miss if they had to be swapped out for old tech, but the center gauge cluster is not one of them.

PaulLR (08-19-2021)
Old 08-19-2021, 07:59 AM
7th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMoke
All car manufacturers (and their dealers are in disarray). Good luck getting your Rivian. If they can’t get solid state gauge cluster, they have no backup plan. At least Land Rover designed the Defender with analog and solid state displays. FWIW, you would not lose much if you went with analog. For all practical purposes, the full digital display gives you no more functionality. There are a lot of tech things in the defender I would miss if they had to be swapped out for old tech, but the center gauge cluster is not one of them.
Yep, delays everywhere. Chips are only part of the problem. I came here from a Bronco reservation to try and buy a 90X off the lot, and yet I'm waiting again on a tail light recall. It's tough out there.

D-Fens (08-19-2021)
Old 08-19-2021, 08:11 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

The sense of entitlement among some consumers is surprising to me. All manufacturers across industries have found themselves in a unique and challenging position; especially luxury goods because they're getting it from both ends. The supply chain is bottlenecked on the back-end, and on the front-end we have a wealth effect that is driving unprecedented demand. It's seems logical to accept that there may be impacts because of this.

My sense is that people need to chill out and not take things personally or be blinded by their self-important expectations. If losing the display is a deal-breaker, walk away - but to express such disdain for a brand that has it's hands tied is too narrow of a view for a lot of us.

Perhaps the solution is to take a non-digital delivery and put in an order for a replacement Defender when it's available (plus who knows what 2023 will make standard, might want to do that anyway!). At the end of the day, this isn't really a loss that dilutes the ethos, utility, or functionality of the car materially. Yes, the L663 is a hybrid of overland prowess and on-road utility, but perhaps the analog gauges are a nice nod the elder.

-Joe

Last edited by TheJMG; 08-19-2021 at 08:24 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by TheJMG:
BBS (08-21-2021), JustSean (08-19-2021), Simon14 (08-20-2021), tjf323 (08-23-2021)

Quick Reply: I’m out, thank you