2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I知 out, thank you

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2021, 08:49 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 231 Likes on 141 Posts

It's a personal decision but if it were me I'd keep my order in with the analog display. I have the digital display and I'm glad I do, however it was something I went back and forth with once or twice in the configurator. Same if I could only get the smaller screen, it still wouldn't deter me from going ahead with the order. I think smorgasbord on Youtube took the analog on his base model. I'd personally rather be daily driving even a base model Defender than any other vehicle. I love my Defender. I don't think you'll be disappointed even if you order with the analog option. If I were going to spend 80k though I'd probably have to think long and hard about it. You can grab a very nice one for 60k and still enjoy it for what it is IMO.

Last edited by Chief65; 08-19-2021 at 08:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
BBS (08-21-2021)
Old 08-19-2021, 09:25 AM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

It's amazing the different information each dealer gives out. I called to have my salesperson update me yesterday, and all I was told was the delivery date had been moved from 11/5 to 11/12, so presumable the 8/27 build date has moved out a week, but he wasn't able to tell me that. No mention of the screen issue, and frankly with a P300S, I don't really care what screen it is. I will be irritated if the build gets held up simply because they didn't give me the option to switch.

Has anyone confirmed if late-August builds will also be affected by this?

Old 08-19-2021, 09:38 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 95 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by kpd122
It's amazing the different information each dealer gives out. I called to have my salesperson update me yesterday, and all I was told was the delivery date had been moved from 11/5 to 11/12, so presumable the 8/27 build date has moved out a week, but he wasn't able to tell me that. No mention of the screen issue, and frankly with a P300S, I don't really care what screen it is. I will be irritated if the build gets held up simply because they didn't give me the option to switch.

Has anyone confirmed if late-August builds will also be affected by this?
Mine was scheduled to enter production on 8/26, with delivery 10/22, and I got the call yesterday for my P300S.

Old 08-19-2021, 09:42 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by TheJMG
The sense of entitlement among some consumers is surprising to me. All manufacturers across industries have found themselves in a unique and challenging position; especially luxury goods because they're getting it from both ends. The supply chain is bottlenecked on the back-end, and on the front-end we have a wealth effect that is driving unprecedented demand. It's seems logical to accept that there may be impacts because of this.

My sense is that people need to chill out and not take things personally or be blinded by their self-important expectations. If losing the display is a deal-breaker, walk away - but to express such disdain for a brand that has it's hands tied is too narrow of a view for a lot of us.

Perhaps the solution is to take a non-digital delivery and put in an order for a replacement Defender when it's available (plus who knows what 2023 will make standard, might want to do that anyway!). At the end of the day, this isn't really a loss that dilutes the ethos, utility, or functionality of the car materially. Yes, the L663 is a hybrid of overland prowess and on-road utility, but perhaps the analog gauges are a nice nod the elder.

-Joe

How do you explain the Trophy Edition cars? Also the forthcoming 130 model, as well as the V8 models, and the upcoming SVR model? Its one thing to say you dont have the parts to build the models you currently offer, its another to say that and then launch more models.

Secondly, if im paying for a feature, that is no longer available, presumably the price should be adjusted to reflect that. This isnt the case.

Thirdly, not every state has a favorable vehicle tax situation. Here in SC, we pay an exorbitant property tax every year to plate the car. States like Florida pay only once. So while yes, one could just order another one for 2023, it may prove far more costly.

Ford, unlike LR, has tried to keep their customers happy. If anything, thread after thread are examples of the lack of respect this brand has for its customers. Much like British Airways, they dont think their customers care enough to shop anywhere else.

The following 2 users liked this post by heliochrome85:
Kev M (08-19-2021), Magnumforc (08-20-2021)
Old 08-19-2021, 09:58 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,407 Likes on 710 Posts

Originally Posted by heliochrome85
If anything, thread after thread are examples of the lack of respect this brand has for its customers. Much like British Airways, they dont think their customers care enough to shop anywhere else.
Quotes from their c-suite since the new CEO arrived hav been "we want to be the most profitable car mfr on the planet", "we will have to delete some features", "we will have to raise prices"...

Not a single word about the customer experience and a complete lack of communication regarding any of the questions we're all sitting around here guessing about.

So yes, "entitled" is a lecture that falls on deaf ears. If anything, LR''s own corporate culture is the very definition of "entitled".

The following 2 users liked this post by _Allegedly:
benb007 (08-19-2021), heliochrome85 (08-19-2021)
Old 08-19-2021, 10:05 AM
Mudding
Received 167 Likes on 98 Posts

I think you are confused between "announcing" new models and making them available. They are not cannibalizing parts from existing orders to make those - it's not a zero sum game. If you wanted to order a Trophy Edition truck, that isn't getting built and shipped next week, it's for delivery some time in the second half of CY 2022.

But you've made up your mind and want to go elsewhere and see if they can treat you better, which is perfectly understandable. The only other vehicle I cross shopped was the Landcruiser and that was never really an option, so I'm happy to wait as long as it takes for them to build my 110.

I will say, though, that if you expect a Ford dealer to treat you better you are absolutely deluded.

Agree 100% on British Airways, though - they are skating on a reputation from decades ago. I pulled all my business from them 15 years ago and never looked back. Now have a million miles on United that a large portion could have gone in BA's direction. I take the train in the UK rather than fly BA domestically and never, ever fly transatlantic with them any more because they suck.

JustSean (08-19-2021)
Old 08-19-2021, 10:10 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by DoctorofRocks
I think you are confused between "announcing" new models and making them available. They are not cannibalizing parts from existing orders to make those - it's not a zero sum game. If you wanted to order a Trophy Edition truck, that isn't getting built and shipped next week, it's for delivery some time in the second half of CY 2022.

But you've made up your mind and want to go elsewhere and see if they can treat you better, which is perfectly understandable. The only other vehicle I cross shopped was the Landcruiser and that was never really an option, so I'm happy to wait as long as it takes for them to build my 110.

I will say, though, that if you expect a Ford dealer to treat you better you are absolutely deluded.

Agree 100% on British Airways, though - they are skating on a reputation from decades ago. I pulled all my business from them 15 years ago and never looked back. Now have a million miles on United that a large portion could have gone in BA's direction. I take the train in the UK rather than fly BA domestically and never, ever fly transatlantic with them any more because they suck.

I agree with you across the board. I think the issue is that JLR should know that announcing new models while not being able to deliver on the current ones, requires a bit of communication with the guys left in the lurch like us. Mind you, none of us were informed that they decided to discontinue the fabric/leather seats. Nor that the 11.4in screen was intermittently available before being only available in more profitable terms. This is a failure of communication, and using the chip shortage as a blanket excuse for bad corporate behavior is a bit much. I think we all recognize the industry wide chip shortage. I have not cancelled my order at this time and am not in a rush to get the car as I already have a full garage. My issue is the way JLR has handled everything. It isnt a dealer issue. Its a JLR issue. My dealer has been great and am willing to stick it out. JLR simply isn't pressured to treat their customers better.

Last edited by heliochrome85; 08-19-2021 at 10:12 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by heliochrome85:
benb007 (08-19-2021), Magnumforc (08-20-2021)
Old 08-19-2021, 10:10 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Laszlo
My buddies new 992 4S doesn稚 have a power telescope steering column but fully manual because of shortages and Porsche said they値l retrofit it sometime this year when parts become available. They are also keeping things moving but a lot of options are truly disappearing.
I would be extremely excited to have a manual telescoping steering wheel. One less thing to worry about.

Old 08-19-2021, 10:15 AM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine was scheduled to enter production on 8/26, with delivery 10/22, and I got the call yesterday for my P300S.
Not the best news, then. I'm hoping I'm at least made aware of the issue and given the option to swap out so the order stays reasonably on track. Does this mean basically every Defender is on hold unless the gauge swap is authorized? May as well idle the factory in that case. I honestly don't care either way, we just want it to arrive sooner than later. I have a 4Runner and a Ranger, so any tech is more than I have now...

The issue is definitely more understandable for those with higher spec builds. At $80k+ you should definitely have those features.

How do you explain the Trophy Edition cars? Also the forthcoming 130 model, as well as the V8 models, and the upcoming SVR model? Its one thing to say you dont have the parts to build the models you currently offer, its another to say that and then launch more models.

Secondly, if im paying for a feature, that is no longer available, presumably the price should be adjusted to reflect that. This isnt the case.

Thirdly, not every state has a favorable vehicle tax situation. Here in SC, we pay an exorbitant property tax every year to plate the car. States like Florida pay only once. So while yes, one could just order another one for 2023, it may prove far more costly.

Ford, unlike LR, has tried to keep their customers happy. If anything, thread after thread are examples of the lack of respect this brand has for its customers. Much like British Airways, they dont think their customers care enough to shop anywhere else.
Not surprising to hear JLR won't do any price adjustment. Similar to downgrading to the 18" wheel on the S model. the 19" costs for on the base, but there's no credit to the 18" once a bigger wheel is standard.

I wonder if your dealer's market manager is able to give a credit when the vehicle arrives? I've had the market manager step in to assist in the past with another manufacturer. They seem to have the ability to make certain adjustments/credits at sale-time. Given the industry vehicle-shortage, probably less likely, but maybe worth a shot.

Old 08-19-2021, 10:20 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,407 Likes on 710 Posts

Originally Posted by DoctorofRocks
There are people who claim to have taken delivery of one or know someone who has. It comes with competition entry for buyers who have taken delivery and that competition is in October of THIS year so I don't think your dates are correct.

Last edited by _Allegedly; 08-19-2021 at 10:23 AM.
heliochrome85 (08-19-2021)

Quick Reply: I知 out, thank you