2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I’m out, thank you

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2021, 03:30 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 261 Likes on 138 Posts

I say wait until it arrives and make a decision. You could also work a deal where you have the one you want built but lease this one until the new one arrives. You could even sell this as the Land Rover Second Edition Version. Only a few 100 made.

Old 08-19-2021, 04:28 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,407 Likes on 710 Posts

Originally Posted by Llid
My dealer stated that trucks build between September 13th through October are affected.
Hot News:

I asked my dealer and he says my P400 110 X-Dynamic HSE is NOT getting the digital dash delete.

My build in September 17 so it's in the range that was mentioned above.

He said if it does get deleted, they will notify me and I will have the chance to delay into a holding pool or go ahead and take the analog display and keep my build date.

Obvs the holding pool will be an unknown but you don't just go to the back of the line.

Seems reasonable.

Old 08-19-2021, 05:03 PM
Mudding
Received 116 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by _Allegedly
My 15yo has received 2 gift packs in the mail and a phone call from Ford with updates on his Bronco order.

We also got called and personally invited to the Bronco Off-Roadeo event free of charge BEFORE we get the truck.

They gave him a price lock until 2023 as long as he orders the same model, and they gave him $1,100 in Ford cash for accessories. They also included a sound deadening headliner upgrade at no charge.
All I have down is a $100 deposit that actually got refunded even though my order is still in because that's how they handle it when you switch dealers.

I've paid them $0 for this $52,000 car order and truly feel like they've communicated honestly and have done far better than anything that Land Rover has offered for my $90,000 Defender, which is absolutely nothing.

I also realize they are having problems with these tops but you know what, they're going to replace them all and, oh yeah, give me another free upgrade to the pre-wire for a hard top if I order soft top now. Tell me how the Defender A-pillar situation is being handled. Tell me about the TSB for fabric that they failed to treat at the factory so it's all staining and their answer is to "Shop-Vac it".

The Ford bashing is getting old. Land Rover just doesn't give a f***.

​​​​​​
Ford understands they can appease their fanboys by sending out gifts to 15 year olds because that's the mindset of a Ford Fanboy. The reason they're locking in pricing until 2023 is because that's when you might get delivery..........oh yeah, Ford is great because they're replacing defective tops?????....that's laughable.

Stop drinking the kool-aid....Ford doesn't give a f^^^ either. Sending out quarterly apology letters doesn't get you your vehicle any faster, in case you didn't notice.

Old 08-19-2021, 05:26 PM
Drifting
Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by _Allegedly
Hot News:

I asked my dealer and he says my P400 110 X-Dynamic HSE is NOT getting the digital dash delete.

My build in September 17 so it's in the range that was mentioned above.

He said if it does get deleted, they will notify me and I will have the chance to delay into a holding pool or go ahead and take the analog display and keep my build date.

Obvs the holding pool will be an unknown but you don't just go to the back of the line.

Seems reasonable.
Thank you for the heads up. This is the exact model I have ordered… Let us know if the status changes.

The following users liked this post:
_Allegedly (08-19-2021)
Old 08-19-2021, 06:04 PM
Winching
Received 246 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Barstoolman1127
Ford understands they can appease their fanboys by sending out gifts to 15 year olds because that's the mindset of a Ford Fanboy. The reason they're locking in pricing until 2023 is because that's when you might get delivery..........oh yeah, Ford is great because they're replacing defective tops?????....that's laughable.

Stop drinking the kool-aid....Ford doesn't give a f^^^ either. Sending out quarterly apology letters doesn't get you your vehicle any faster, in case you didn't notice.
I for one would have appreciated much better communication. The typical consumer has no idea what is going on with the supply chains, demand, virus/vaccine conditions at the plant etc. Our expectations need to be kept in check. At first we are frustrated that our defender has been delayed two months but relatively thats better than loosing out on options that are no longer available. Ford has their own issues but at least they are doing something.

I was told I would receive my defender in June after my early February order. Instead I am hoping for a mid to late September delivery with a lovely 4k price increase thanks to the switch to the my22 change. I have heard nothing from LR corporate and my dealer has basically taken the approach that it is what it is and take it or leave it.

Can anyone tell me another scenario were they have placed an order for something at a certain price (perhaps even put down a hefty deposit) only to have the price be significantly changed because the seller cant keep up with demand? Maybe you think differently on this then me, but I think its very poor to change prices once the price has been agreed upon. If you are confirmed into an order and a model year changes (and if it changes very early) that should not penalize the consumer.

The following users liked this post:
_Allegedly (08-19-2021)
Old 08-19-2021, 06:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 196 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Moretti
I for one would have appreciated much better communication. The typical consumer has no idea what is going on with the supply chains, demand, virus/vaccine conditions at the plant etc. Our expectations need to be kept in check. At first we are frustrated that our defender has been delayed two months but relatively thats better than loosing out on options that are no longer available. Ford has their own issues but at least they are doing something.

I was told I would receive my defender in June after my early February order. Instead I am hoping for a mid to late September delivery with a lovely 4k price increase thanks to the switch to the my22 change. I have heard nothing from LR corporate and my dealer has basically taken the approach that it is what it is and take it or leave it.

Can anyone tell me another scenario were they have placed an order for something at a certain price (perhaps even put down a hefty deposit) only to have the price be significantly changed because the seller cant keep up with demand? Maybe you think differently on this then me, but I think its very poor to change prices once the price has been agreed upon. If you are confirmed into an order and a model year changes (and if it changes very early) that should not penalize the consumer.
Please don’t take this the wrong way, but I’m definitely not in your consumer cohort and am well informed outside of the ‘dealership’ that there’s a massive worldwide shortage and near collapse in just about everything in consumer goods. We’re lucky we’re still getting toilet paper for crying out loud. I’ll never be or act like your type of consumer. Be ready for a lot more disappointments.

Old 08-19-2021, 06:23 PM
Mudding
Received 78 Likes on 45 Posts

And...on the other side of the pond...this 2022 Defender 90 V8 is selling for 134,844 British pounds...or...$183374 US Dollars. And I'll bet some fool buys it.

Old 08-19-2021, 07:49 PM
Drifting
Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnumforc
And...on the other side of the pond...this 2022 Defender 90 V8 is selling for 134,844 British pounds...or...$183374 US Dollars. And I'll bet some fool buys it.

I know this might not be popular in this forum ,but at that price I rather have a Bentley Bentayga

The following 2 users liked this post by Llid:
Magnumforc (08-20-2021), Mark1107 (08-22-2021)
Old 08-19-2021, 07:52 PM
Overlanding
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Laszlo
Please don’t take this the wrong way, but I’m definitely not in your consumer cohort and am well informed outside of the ‘dealership’ that there’s a massive worldwide shortage and near collapse in just about everything in consumer goods. We’re lucky we’re still getting toilet paper for crying out loud. I’ll never be or act like your type of consumer. Be ready for a lot more disappointments.
We all know things is tough all over. I think the question becomes, “who should eat the cost?”. As consumers, we as whole, will have to decide if we want to pay more for less. You’re right about getting ready for a lot of disappointment because supply chains aren’t going to get fixed anytime soon. If all consumers were informed and basing decisions on pure logic, most of us would simply walk because, as you infer, right now just isn’t a good time to buy a car. In fact, buying a car right now is just plain stupid. If consumers as a group were smart, we’d all just cancel our orders and maybe hope JLR survives so that when the market does change, they would be begging us to buy their cars. So, the question for.me is “when does the product fail to create enough excitement to justify the price”. I have no problems with the Land Rover dealers and feel terrible for what they must be going through. But, JLR is clearly testing the waters. If these posts are correct, they are asking the customer to basically pay for products they aren’t planning to deliver so they can make better margins. In my case, we’re talking about a $110K car, which is a lot to me, and JLR is treating me like I’m buying a Kia. We’re all in this together, I’m okay to sacrifice a little, but, JLR doesn’t seem to want to reciprocate. Taking someone’s money and giving them a product that is not what was agreed on, is fraud (pure and simple). My car was supposed to be delivered on July 30th. Now, they tell me to wait until January with no communication whatsoever (hey, I understand. I don’t like it but I get it). Now they are pulling features (okay, that’s no longer the vehicle I had ordered, but I get that too). But, oh, now we’re gonna make you pay for those features anyway. How can anyone excuse that? Is that how you would treat your customers? Imagine if restaurants or coffee shops did that. “Oh, yeah, you paid for a latte but we don’t have espresso and milk so we gave you a plain cup of coffee, enjoy”. No one would put up with that. I think, the right thing to do, is meet somewhere in the middle and I’ve been willing to do that all along.

Last edited by benb007; 08-19-2021 at 07:59 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by benb007:
4x4 DAVE (08-21-2021), Chad801 (10-07-2021)
Old 08-19-2021, 08:03 PM
Mudding
Received 147 Likes on 83 Posts

I think there is some willful ignorance of the fact that at the beginning of the pandemic auto manufacturers sold off and canceled orders of commodities expecting a huge lengthy decline of demand.

Actually though demand bounced back extremely quickly and auto makers have been scrambling ever since which includes passing costs incurred at least partly by their poor planning to the consumer. To say nothing of the leaches in the middle, the dealers. It boggles the mind to read “its not a bit their fault” and “of course you should pay more for less” comments

Last edited by Mcdooogs; 08-19-2021 at 08:05 PM.

Quick Reply: I’m out, thank you