2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I’m out, thank you

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2021, 08:33 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 196 Likes on 112 Posts

It’s a huge lesson for everyone in the consumer manufacturing industry that JIT has a major flaw when the chain is broken. It wasn’t in anyone’s planning unfortunately.

Maybe JLR will adjust delivery price or communicate a solution but I’m sure they don’t have a playbook on hand and it’s simply chaos.

I really wish things would be back to normal. So many other plans I had are on hold for the foreseeable future.

I read the other day that Mercedes canceled all US V8 AMG models for MY2022. That’s a massive hit not only to Mercedes but customers. Toyota is reducing output by 40%. The list goes on and on.

The other lesson at least for me, is that a customer is very different from a consumer. Customers have a choice, whatever it that may be, but a consumer has no rights.

Last edited by Count Laszlo; 08-19-2021 at 08:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Magnumforc (08-20-2021)
Old 08-19-2021, 08:33 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 254 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Llid
I know this might not be popular in this forum ,but at that price I rather have a Bentley Bentayga
I think I may be in your camp. These high-priced city cruiser builds I don't think fit the vehicle's persona much IMO. I mean don't get me wrong it looks cool and all and if that's what someone wants I applaud it, but I don't care how much anyone spends on the current Defender it's never really going to be posh. It's neoprene and rubber coated from stem to stern.

Old 08-19-2021, 09:23 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 308 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Chief65
I think I may be in your camp. These high-priced city cruiser builds I don't think fit the vehicle's persona much IMO. I mean don't get me wrong it looks cool and all and if that's what someone wants I applaud it, but I don't care how much anyone spends on the current Defender it's never really going to be posh. It's neoprene and rubber coated from stem to stern.
I think what drew us to the Defender was that blend of a decent amount of tech and comfort but with a significant amount of capability.

We weren't looking for posh just for posh's sake. Anyone can make a comfortable SUV. We wanted something that was comfortable but capable.

And in this it's definitely met our expectations plus so far.

The following 2 users liked this post by Kev M:
Magnumforc (08-20-2021), Muppetry (10-05-2021)
Old 08-19-2021, 09:55 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

FWIW: I have the digital display and wouldn’t spend a dime for it let alone drop my 110 because it was analog. I’ve run thru all the options and there’s really nothing there distinguishing, useful or unique. I keep the two displays on either side and never change them. The middle, I dislike all the options as redundant to the PiviPro and rarely glance at them. I do like checking the outside and temp down there, so if those are in analog - If be all in. My vote is don’t pass just for that time. It would never be a deal breaker for me and heck If be just as happy without it. BTW: you will have a very rare Defender in a low production year. The NPV of the lower depreciation rate / higher resale value should offset the amount that they are pocketing re it. So my vote: wouldn’t pass in a Defender for a lack of digital dash as it really isn’t that special. I’m a whole lot more posed that they dropped my ClearView when they switched me to MY22. At the time they were building them and they went from Standard to Option and never asked if I’d up pay. I would have! In fact I feel sorry for anyone in the future trying to buy or repair one of these snowflakes being produced. Every one is different!

The following 2 users liked this post by GrouseK9:
Kev M (08-20-2021), PaulLR (08-20-2021)
Old 08-19-2021, 10:27 PM
Overlanding
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
FWIW: I have the digital display and wouldn’t spend a dime for it let alone drop my 110 because it was analog. I’ve run thru all the options and there’s really nothing there distinguishing, useful or unique. I keep the two displays on either side and never change them. The middle, I dislike all the options as redundant to the PiviPro and rarely glance at them. I do like checking the outside and temp down there, so if those are in analog - If be all in. My vote is don’t pass just for that time. It would never be a deal breaker for me and heck If be just as happy without it. BTW: you will have a very rare Defender in a low production year. The NPV of the lower depreciation rate / higher resale value should offset the amount that they are pocketing re it. So my vote: wouldn’t pass in a Defender for a lack of digital dash as it really isn’t that special. I’m a whole lot more posed that they dropped my ClearView when they switched me to MY22. At the time they were building them and they went from Standard to Option and never asked if I’d up pay. I would have! In fact I feel sorry for anyone in the future trying to buy or repair one of these snowflakes being produced. Every one is different!
Lol. That’s so true. My major problem with the analog gauges, as I mentioned earlier, is that two of them failed on my old disco. I had to use an app on my phone as my speedometer as it didn’t move and the fuel gauge was actually empty when it showed a quarter of a tank. I keep cars for a long time. It seems to me that gauges are just more moving parts that are prone to failure. Seems like it would be easier to replace a screen than a gauge. Eventually, I got the gauge fixed for around $500 which is incidentally close to the price of the whole upgrade to the interactive digital display.

Old 08-19-2021, 11:48 PM
Winching
Received 246 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Laszlo
Please don’t take this the wrong way, but I’m definitely not in your consumer cohort and am well informed outside of the ‘dealership’ that there’s a massive worldwide shortage and near collapse in just about everything in consumer goods. We’re lucky we’re still getting toilet paper for crying out loud. I’ll never be or act like your type of consumer. Be ready for a lot more disappointments.
That post just came off as some entitled piece of fluff that neither addresses what I said or its relevancy to the typical consumer. If you are trying to make some sort of point about expectation that is fine, but it doesn't escape JLR from having the ability to provide a better buying experience and it sure doesn't help curb disappointment.

My buying process started last October and that was before any of the issues with production starting really becoming significant. I have no idea if JLR informs the local dealers of what is occurring or if they just simply chose to hide it. When my vehicle was delayed several times my sales rep had no explanation.

The following users liked this post:
tkiel (08-20-2021)
Old 08-20-2021, 12:47 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,505 Likes on 1,016 Posts

Originally Posted by Llid
After recently getting a call from my dealer saying they would have to down grade the gauge screen. I’m officially calling it quits. I love technology so having it in an almost $82,000 truck is important to me. . Land Rover has not stated it would refund the difference between a full screen and the analogue cluster. They did say that if I waited that I run the risk of getting into the 2023 model year with the included price increase. Im surprised by their complete lack of customer service and fore thought in their building process. My build was originally P400 HSE and I’ve been waiting for months. I’m really disappointed but with the Rivian SUV coming out the middle of next year and the Jeep Grand Wagoneer coming to market I certainly have options. It stings but I admire this forums passion for the Defender and off roading. Peace
I hear you mate. That would really grind my gears too.

Land Rover seems to be The Cheesecake Factory of the auto world. An options menu as long as your arm but nothing done quite right.

I don't understand the added complexity of offering two dash types. Perhaps in the short term it nets a higher revenue but it's got to be tempered by the additional logistics.

I'm waiting on an P400 SE (already built and have not heard of any changes to spec) but if something important to me was suddenly pulled from the build I took a long time to finalize and think through, I'd be less than pleased. Would I bail and go elsewhere? Depends on how important the feature is to me.

I suppose that makes me an ingrate who should quietly handover my hard earned coin for a contract-breaking truck and be thankful JLR execs didn't pillage my home, slaughter my first born and give me herpes. I suppose I could spend more time reflecting on the desertification of sub-saharan Africa or the genocide of the Uyghurs, and less fixating on vehicle options that have little to no impact on the promotion of women's rights. Sadly, I'm just that type of shallow consumer you've read about.

Last edited by GavinC; 08-20-2021 at 01:13 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by GavinC:
4x4 DAVE (08-21-2021), Magnumforc (08-20-2021)
Old 08-20-2021, 04:27 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,412 Likes on 713 Posts

Originally Posted by Barstoolman1127
Ford understands they can appease their fanboys by sending out gifts to 15 year olds because that's the mindset of a Ford Fanboy. The reason they're locking in pricing until 2023 is because that's when you might get delivery..........oh yeah, Ford is great because they're replacing defective tops?????....that's laughable.

Stop drinking the kool-aid....Ford doesn't give a f^^^ either. Sending out quarterly apology letters doesn't get you your vehicle any faster, in case you didn't notice.
Uh oh, you've caught on to me friend. I'm truly a Ford fanboi... with a Defender on order.

If you're dating a girl on Valentine's day, the minimal expectation is dinner and flowers. JLR leaves the girl at home, puts up an Instagram post about how fun it is to be out with the boys then turns its phone off for 3 days. She keeps trying to call and, when she finally gets through, JLR says, "Valentine's day is a made-up corporate holiday... if you're mad, that's on you".

Ford might take her out 2 nights after Valentine's day because it screwed up the reservations but it makes up for it with a bunch of nice texts, a cheap gift, a coupon for a foot rub whenever she wants and a surprise game of mini-golf after the dinner.

Ford may not truly love the girl but it understands how to play the game. JLR takes the girl for granted so much that it doesn't even try to pretend.There are, after all, plenty of girls who want a ride in JLR's Defender. Well, as long as it's not that hideous Trophy Edition.

Last edited by _Allegedly; 08-20-2021 at 06:56 AM.
The following 6 users liked this post by _Allegedly:
4x4 DAVE (08-21-2021), GavinC (08-20-2021), GrouseK9 (08-20-2021), JustSean (08-20-2021), Magnumforc (08-20-2021), Muppetry (10-05-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-20-2021, 06:48 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,402 Likes on 689 Posts

^^ I have no dog in this hunt but that’s some fine writing and some fine analogyzing you did there! Always appreciated when somebody takes the time to craft well-reasoned replies on an Internet forum.

Cheers!

The following 3 users liked this post by NoGaBiker:
4x4 DAVE (08-21-2021), GrouseK9 (08-20-2021), _Allegedly (08-20-2021)
Old 08-20-2021, 06:57 AM
Overlanding
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

is it me or is the dash half analog and half digital?

Quick Reply: I’m out, thank you