Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I’m out, thank you

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2021, 07:28 AM
Mudding
Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by tarmac
is it me or is the dash half analog and half digital?
It’s you. The gauge is two thirds analog, one third digital.

Old 08-20-2021, 07:41 AM
Overlanding
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMoke
It’s you. The gauge is two thirds analog, one third digital.
got it but its still pretty bad imo... should be either full digital or full analog. Has this been done before on another model?

Old 08-20-2021, 08:15 AM
Mudding
Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

got it but its still pretty bad imo... should be either full digital or full analog. Has this been done before on another model?
I’m not sure I understand your point. Hybrid digital/analog instrument clusters have been around for years. The TFT screen we are talking about here is as good as it gets and it displays the same amount of information you get with the full digital display. The only difference is that you do not have the ability to move things around or have full screen display of nav maps for example. I would suggest you search YouTube for video reviews of the Defender Commercial which comes with the hybrid version as standard. It looks great to me.

Old 08-20-2021, 08:54 AM
Winching
Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

I have it on my 2013 L320 range rover sport. digital is better. the analog and digital combo looks old school though if that is your taste.

Old 08-20-2021, 08:57 AM
Overlanding
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I’m not sure I understand your point. Hybrid digital/analog instrument clusters have been around for years. The TFT screen we are talking about here is as good as it gets and it displays the same amount of information you get with the full digital display. The only difference is that you do not have the ability to move things around or have full screen display of nav maps for example. I would suggest you search YouTube for video reviews of the Defender Commercial which comes with the hybrid version as standard. It looks great to me.
Ok maybe i was confused ill search youtube thanks

Old 08-20-2021, 09:18 AM
Overlanding
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Just a heads up that JRL has changed their stance since yesterday. Models that come standard with the interactive digital display are not currently affected. They specifically mention the X and V8’s will still receive them. Defenders ordered with IDD and HUD as options will either have those options removed from the order or require the dealer to modify the order with the customer. So, that’s where it stands as of last night.

Old 08-20-2021, 09:54 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,407 Likes on 710 Posts

Originally Posted by benb007
Just a heads up that JRL has changed their stance since yesterday. Models that come standard with the interactive digital display are not currently affected. They specifically mention the X and V8’s will still receive them. Defenders ordered with IDD and HUD as options will either have those options removed from the order or require the dealer to modify the order with the customer. So, that’s where it stands as of last night.
Lump the XD HSE in with the X & V8. My dealer just double-confirmed that mine will get digital.

XD seems to be the sweet spot trim. Nothing deleted except for HUD (gone on every trim level apparently) and not impacted by the smoked light recall.

Old 08-20-2021, 10:55 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 95 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by benb007
Where was this posted? All trims have the IDD standard except for the base model Defender. Even my S has it standard.

Old 08-20-2021, 11:11 AM
8th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not the hybrid cluster that looks so bad, it's the fact the dials themselves are hybrid; three-quarter mechanical, and the final quarter is made of part of a screen the size of a cell phone. Trying to get the two to match looks horrible. I imagine at night it's impossible to get a good match between the brightness and contrast of the two different technologies. On a vehicle costing this much money, it looks an ugly solution in my opinion.

Old 08-20-2021, 12:09 PM
Mudding
Received 78 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcdooogs
I think there is some willful ignorance of the fact that at the beginning of the pandemic auto manufacturers sold off and canceled orders of commodities expecting a huge lengthy decline of demand.

Actually though demand bounced back extremely quickly and auto makers have been scrambling ever since which includes passing costs incurred at least partly by their poor planning to the consumer. To say nothing of the leaches in the middle, the dealers. It boggles the mind to read “its not a bit their fault” and “of course you should pay more for less” comments
The "Just in Time" production that has been the standard of production for many years bit them in the **** this time and the bite is a huge one. Manufacturers of vehicles and just about anything else do not keep huge inventories of consumable parts laying around. They arrange for goods and materials to be delivered as needed, with some small surplus to cover damaged or mis-installed parts. What if the aluminum supplier for JLR had not had a huge infusion of cash in recent months? They were close to bankruptcy, and from all reports, JLR was not going to buy them to bail the company out. Then there would be no parts to even build vehicles as no manufacturer stocks large numbers of body panels . There in lies the conundrum...should manufacturers continue with "Just in Time" stocking or move to some "Just in Case" stocks so they can continue on in a crisis. I presume the current shortages have many second guessing their long term production management.

Quick Reply: I’m out, thank you