Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm tired of waiting and I'm out. New stuff for sale

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2022, 01:16 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 212 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBreeze
I'm glad you are having better luck with the throttle application than I have! After 7 months and 5,000 miles, I still find it to be too binary in its power delivery. I agree there is a ton of technology in the P400 engine and there are certainly times where it out performs an old-school naturally aspirated V8, but perhaps some re-mapping on my Defender would have resolved the sensitivity of the throttle response.
Activating eco mode makes the throttle less sensitive, and the various terrain response modes will also change throttle response. There's a graphic that's been posted here on the forum that shows how each mode impacts throttle response, differential control and traction sensitivity. If you have TR2 you can set up a custom preset.

Old 02-09-2022, 02:36 PM
Mudding
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
Activating eco mode makes the throttle less sensitive, and the various terrain response modes will also change throttle response. There's a graphic that's been posted here on the forum that shows how each mode impacts throttle response, differential control and traction sensitivity. If you have TR2 you can set up a custom preset.
Thanks. Hopefully that helps others who have a similar experience. For me, I sold my 6 month old Defender with 5,000 miles to CarMax for $13k over what I paid.

Old 02-09-2022, 02:41 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 212 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBreeze
Thanks. Hopefully that helps others who have a similar experience. For me, I sold my 6 month old Defender with 5,000 miles to CarMax for $13k over what I paid.
Yep, an option open to all of us. I've had well over MSRP offers too, but I really like the car and will keep it.

Old 02-09-2022, 03:09 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 175 Likes on 105 Posts

My biggest problem with a Jeep is that they are just too common (for good reason). The second reason is even when you buy the top end model you're still stuck with switch gear from a ~$30k car and it lacks a premium feel. Not sure if they solved that in the new one.

Old 02-09-2022, 04:21 PM
Mudding
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Yulongtd6
My biggest problem with a Jeep is that they are just too common (for good reason). The second reason is even when you buy the top end model you're still stuck with switch gear from a ~$30k car and it lacks a premium feel. Not sure if they solved that in the new one.
I agree. The commonality is a factor, I've preferred to have something more unique - another reason why I'm putting custom wheels and considering a satin PPF rather than clear. But with regard to the switches/*****/etc - while there are parts that are utilized in multiple vehicles which helps keep costs down, I can tell you that the new 2022 models are significantly improved with regard to materials, feel and finish. The wood on the dash is REAL wood. They have diamond stitching in on the seats and door panels, and a lot of tech (camera/regular rear view mirror, HUD with night vision, screen for the front passenger, air suspension, terrific 4 wheel drive system, foot activated electric rear hatch, damn fine McIntosh stereo system, massaging, heated & cooled seats....etc
Yes, it is still a "Jeep" with all the baggage that comes with that name, but dang, they have stepped up their game on this one. I'm not trying to convince anyone on this forum that it is a "better" choice than a Defender, just a better choice for me at this time.

The following users liked this post:
swajames (02-09-2022)
Old 02-09-2022, 05:09 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 185 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by maxmk8
thanks for the write up! Great thoughts in here.

I am myself torn on the defender, as I see it as a much better bronco but a much worse G Wagen. So squarely in the middle. Initially I was going to go for a G550 but they don’t make them for 22 and dealers want 50-100k on top of sticker, and here we thought JLR is greedy.

My spec while not as expensive as yours is right around 65-71k pending the engine selection. Ironically you pointed out the power delivery and the bigger engine seems less smooth than then I4… which frankly seems too small for this gargantuan vehicle. So I’m still on the fence as to which motor to get even though I have had one on order in the “holding pool” for the last 3 months…
Orders have reopened for the G-Class I believe as of last week.