2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Would you order a Grenadier?
Yes to keep
50.00%
Yes to flip
6.25%
No
25.00%
Why am I here?
18.75%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Ineos Configurator Now Live

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2022, 04:15 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,403 Likes on 689 Posts

When my jeep broke down in Moab I had to have it flat bedded to Grand Junction Colorado, two hours away. If I had been in a land rover product, it would have had to go to4 hours to Salt Lake City. I’m pretty sure Ineos will have a Salt Lake City dealer also. If we have to put up with all those bad things you mention about JLR, and we do, then why not just get whatever the hell you want? How much worse could it be?

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (05-21-2022)
Old 05-20-2022, 05:04 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,412 Likes on 713 Posts

Unrelated but saw a Rivian just now. It turned left in front of me as I wasn't paying attention but my neck snapped when I caught a headlight and I stalked it into a parking lot.

The front end looks way less awkward in person than any pictures. Loved the little pops of yellow.. Paint, trim, and fir & finish were solid. Overall, it looks nice but most people would probably see it and not think twice. It kinda blends in unless you know what it is.

Old 05-20-2022, 06:38 PM
Winching
Received 653 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
When my jeep broke down in Moab I had to have it flat bedded to Grand Junction Colorado, two hours away. If I had been in a land rover product, it would have had to go to4 hours to Salt Lake City. I’m pretty sure Ineos will have a Salt Lake City dealer also. If we have to put up with all those bad things you mention about JLR, and we do, then why not just get whatever the hell you want? How much worse could it be?
Totally agree, get whatever you want. And I love my Defender. Zero complaints. As was my first model year Evoque. Never saw the dealer after the delivery. I was referring to some of the complaints on the forum, of which I have none. And when we buy vehicles from limited coverage manufacturers, that’s the risk we take. Luckily, I have a JLR dealer 20 minutes from my house. My other car, a Porsche Boxster has only two dealerships ‘nearby’. I can choose to drive nearly two hours North to Melbourne, or an hour and a half South to West Palm. Hence, I do my own maintenance and upgrades. Besides saving money on parts and labor, I like to believe that I am more meticulous and careful because I am not trying to squeeze more labor man hours into an 8 hour day.

The following 2 users liked this post by WTFChuck:
GrouseK9 (05-22-2022), NoGaBiker (05-20-2022)
Old 05-20-2022, 07:01 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,403 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by WTFChuck
Totally agree, get whatever you want. And I love my Defender. Zero complaints. As was my first model year Evoque. Never saw the dealer after the delivery. I was referring to some of the complaints on the forum, of which I have none. And when we buy vehicles from limited coverage manufacturers, that’s the risk we take. Luckily, I have a JLR dealer 20 minutes from my house. My other car, a Porsche Boxster has only two dealerships ‘nearby’. I can choose to drive nearly two hours North to Melbourne, or an hour and a half South to West Palm. Hence, I do my own maintenance and upgrades. Besides saving money on parts and labor, I like to believe that I am more meticulous and careful because I am not trying to squeeze more labor man hours into an 8 hour day.
I agree with all the above, including being a mid engine Porsche owner. Fortunately my dealers for both Land Rover and Porsche are just a few minutes away, as are my Indies for both.

Old 05-21-2022, 08:52 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,253 Likes on 672 Posts

Very interesting thread, seeing that it is coming from fellow Defender owners, some of whom vent their frustration with JLR, the dealerships and the dealership network, and the sometime inability to get proper repairs, parts or cogent communications from JLR or the selling dealership. Yet, I see many are willing to bet the house on a brand new, mostly untested brand, with a skeleton support network. I can only imagine someone breaking down and needing assistance on some off-road trail and the recovery driver, after he asks, ‘what is this?’, then asking, ‘where do you want it towed?’ I would hate to reply, “I dunno”. But, good luck to all those prospective owners.
110% spot on

Old 05-21-2022, 09:09 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by nashvegas
110% spot on
They aren't just selling them without a service plan.

If they execute at only 25%, it's still a far better expectation than anything I've ever had with JLR. Who the hell else "flies a tech to you" unless you're some sort of sheik or something.

https://ineosgrenadier.com/en/gb/ser...your-grenadier

Old 05-21-2022, 09:35 AM
Winching

Allegedly: Thanks for the pics of the Rivian. But as an aside, looking at the pics you posted I would think that the owner might be just a tad more careful. Maybe it’s just my ‘anality’, but it appears that it is parked waaay too close to the passenger side parking space line, and three feet off the drivers side parking space line. Although careless, selfish drivers seem to be the norm these days. Down here in Florida there seems to be a law forbidding you to use your signals under any circumstances. Heck, I’ve been behind County Deputy Sheriffs and Florida Highway Patrol when they stop in the middle of the road to make a left and fail to signal. And with my mind reading abilities fading, it’s very unsafe, discourteous, and yes, illegal. Let’s all bring back the practice of signaling, it’s becoming a lost art.

Last edited by WTFChuck; 05-21-2022 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Add a picture
Old 05-21-2022, 11:06 AM
Pro Wrench

Allegedly: Thanks for the pics of the Rivian. But as an aside, looking at the pics you posted I would think that the owner might be just a tad more careful. Maybe it’s just my ‘anality’, but it appears that it is parked waaay too close to the passenger side parking space line, and three feet off the drivers side parking space line. Although careless, selfish drivers seem to be the norm these days. Down here in Florida there seems to be a law forbidding you to use your signals under any circumstances. Heck, I’ve been behind County Deputy Sheriffs and Florida Highway Patrol when they stop in the middle of the road to make a left and fail to signal. And with my mind reading abilities fading, it’s very unsafe, discourteous, and yes, illegal. Let’s all bring back the practice of signaling, it’s becoming a lost art.
Oh yeah, it's delightful driving here, especially the tourist areas.

​​​​​​It has an Illinois paper tag as in Normal, Illinois where they mfr. It wasn't a standard temp tag, looked like a manufacturer tag of some sort and they are currently doing at-home demos in Central FL. I think this was a Rivian employee. Would almost have to be given how rare they are. They only delivered 1200 vehicles in 1q and that includes Amazon vans.

Old 05-21-2022, 01:03 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by _Allegedly
Oh yeah, it's delightful driving here, especially the tourist areas.

​​​​​​It has an Illinois paper tag as in Normal, Illinois where they mfr. It wasn't a standard temp tag, looked like a manufacturer tag of some sort and they are currently doing at-home demos in Central FL. I think this was a Rivian employee. Would almost have to be given how rare they are. They only delivered 1200 vehicles in 1q and that includes Amazon vans.
Funny how the locals blame the tourists here. Does that mean the law enforcement here are tourists? Sorry I don’t buy that theory, most of the craziest driving I see here are the locals. I guess the Florida plates are a dead giveaway. And these are not rental cars, unless Hertz is renting jacked up pickups with tires that extend a foot past the wheel wells. Having driven in most of the states in the US, I would have to give the lowest rating on the scale for drivers to the ‘locals’ here. Sorry, but that’s been my observation. I’ve got dash cam footage which bears that out, so it’s not my imagination. Red lights? What are they? Right turn on red at 40 mph without touching the brake? Doesn’t everybody? Driving on the sidewalk to avoid traffic? Just being efficient I guess.

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (05-23-2022)
Old 05-21-2022, 01:40 PM
Pro Wrench

Funny how the locals blame the tourists here. Does that mean the law enforcement here are tourists? Sorry I don’t buy that theory, most of the craziest driving I see here are the locals. I guess the Florida plates are a dead giveaway. And these are not rental cars, unless Hertz is renting jacked up pickups with tires that extend a foot past the wheel wells. Having driven in most of the states in the US, I would have to give the lowest rating on the scale for drivers to the ‘locals’ here. Sorry, but that’s been my observation. I’ve got dash cam footage which bears that out, so it’s not my imagination. Red lights? What are they? Right turn on red at 40 mph without touching the brake? Doesn’t everybody? Driving on the sidewalk to avoid traffic? Just being efficient I guess.
That's why I say "in the tourist areas" not "due to tourists" for reasons but not really worth talking about here.

Quick Reply: Ineos Configurator Now Live