2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Would you order a Grenadier?
Yes to keep
50.00%
Yes to flip
6.25%
No
25.00%
Why am I here?
18.75%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Ineos Configurator Now Live

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2022, 04:56 PM
Winching
Received 653 Likes on 318 Posts

[QUOTE=_Allegedly;825817]That's why I say "in the tourist areas" not "due to tourists" for reasons but not really worth talking about here.

Thanks for clearing that up. ‘Nuff said.

The following users liked this post:
_Allegedly (05-21-2022)
Old 05-23-2022, 01:29 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 262 Likes on 138 Posts

Coming in hot as I was offline on Friday and missed the wrangling. I will add two things that I find fascinating with the Ineos service model.
1. They are providing a 5-year unlimited mile warranty, you just have to bring it into the service department once a year for an inspection/review. Ineos has stated that it is a leap of faith on a brand new car manufacturer but also they want to prove the vehicle is robust.
2. Besides the flying mechanics, they have already demonstrated the repair manual that CAD inspired. They give you detailed instructions on how to repair the Grenadier and share exploded views of parts. The best part is you can purchase the said parts by clicking on the hyperlink and they have guaranteed a 24 hour delivery of your part. But you are in the backwoods and how are you going to get help, well they have a dedicated phone line that you can call and the mechanic will walk you through the repair.

To me this is just another reason the Grenadier will be parked next to the L663.

Old 05-23-2022, 03:25 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,412 Likes on 713 Posts

Quick review

curb-optional (06-14-2023)
Old 05-23-2022, 04:04 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

David Attenborough explores the Ineos! (My recommended new title...)

I think he nailed the entire design language with one sentence: "to me it ticks all the boxes and allows me a blank canvas to personalize it for me" (paraphrased). THAT is what JLR is missing out in making this a truly beloved heritage design. They do EVERYTHING they can to prevent you from accessorizing, trying to make every attachment proprietary and limiting what you can do. They totally are missing out in the current trends of tech where everyone is racing to create ecosystems of creativity, not specific feature deliveries.

Last edited by GrouseK9; 05-23-2022 at 04:17 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by GrouseK9:
curb-optional (06-14-2023), mopadzi (05-24-2022)
Old 05-23-2022, 04:36 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,505 Likes on 1,016 Posts

Originally Posted by _Allegedly
For a chap whose subject matter and location are of great interest to me, his videos are a big let down. I've watched a few and just can't get past his pervasive negativity. He was veritably moist at the prospect of getting to see a Grenadier and then farts about with the weird angle of the pedals. Hopefully Ronnie Dahl will get a hold of one soon and do a review. That bloke, I like.

He really hates the new Defender. I suspect RD does too, but is a little more gentlemanly in his delivery.

I wonder does the Grenadier come with a drain for the frame? I hear those are popular

Old 05-24-2022, 12:55 AM
Drifting
Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Is anyone else disappointed with the HP and Torque numbers on the Grenadier? I've had a reservation in for months but I was hoping they could get more from the 3.0L BMW engine like 300-350 hp / torque. My P400 Defender drives and tows great with +/-400hp / torque.

EngineBMW 3.0L Turbo Petrol, Straight-Six Engine
Engine Power (PS)286
Engine Power (HP)282
Max Torque (Nm)450
Max Torque (lb-ft)332

GrouseK9 (05-24-2022)
Old 05-24-2022, 07:04 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,402 Likes on 689 Posts

That IS disappointing. I don’t know why but for some reason I had the impression that tork was 450 lb-ft, I guess a brief skimming of the figures some time ago. I had reconciled myself to the idea that Ineos/BMW tuned the engine towards big tork/lower hp, and that seemed reasonable to me: give up 120hp but gain 50 pounds of tork. But to now see that you also give up 70 pounds of tork, in a modern engine of the same size and design, built by an even bigger manufacturer than JLR, hmmmm…

I guess if there was a proven exchange that resulted in higher reliability due to considerably lower stress on engine components, like you were getting an old Toyota I-6 or something, that would be a decent consideration. But I’ve read nothing of the BMW motor being exemplary in that respect either. Or perhaps the basic engine is very reliable and it’s the plastic cooling system and various other ancillary components that are perpetually problematic.

Old 05-24-2022, 07:24 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by anotherbillcat
Is anyone else disappointed with the HP and Torque numbers on the Grenadier? I've had a reservation in for months but I was hoping they could get more from the 3.0L BMW engine like 300-350 hp / torque. My P400 Defender drives and tows great with +/-400hp / torque.

EngineBMW 3.0L Turbo Petrol, Straight-Six Engine
Engine Power (PS)286
Engine Power (HP)282
Max Torque (Nm)450
Max Torque (lb-ft)332
They wanted full torque at the lowest rpm. Towing, pulling a boat out of the water, and rock crawling should help take your mind off of how much of a loaded teapot it will be around town.

Old 05-24-2022, 07:44 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
That IS disappointing. I don’t know why but for some reason I had the impression that tork was 450 lb-ft, I guess a brief skimming of the figures some time ago. I had reconciled myself to the idea that Ineos/BMW tuned the engine towards big tork/lower hp, and that seemed reasonable to me: give up 120hp but gain 50 pounds of tork. But to now see that you also give up 70 pounds of tork, in a modern engine of the same size and design, built by an even bigger manufacturer than JLR, hmmmm…

I guess if there was a proven exchange that resulted in higher reliability due to considerably lower stress on engine components, like you were getting an old Toyota I-6 or something, that would be a decent consideration. But I’ve read nothing of the BMW motor being exemplary in that respect either. Or perhaps the basic engine is very reliable and it’s the plastic cooling system and various other ancillary components that are perpetually problematic.
Internet myth would have you believe that the b58 can handle being tuned to 800-1000 hp. Maybe.

I don't think that's the same as what being done by Ineos. Building high torque at low rpm is more stressful to the engine than the same torque at higher rpm no?

In the end, I really probably just make this sh*t up.

Old 05-24-2022, 10:13 AM
Drifting
Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Loaded teapot for sure, especially wearing the heavy KO2's which is why I will opt for the other tires then put on my Toyos. I understand with overlanding fuel range is important then these power numbers will be fine. But for me launching the fishing boat at the lake, down a steep embankment then all 4 tires into the water (low lake level still) in off-road height worked brilliant this weekend with the Defender. The Grenadier can do this except it will get its belly wet (no air suspension) but hauling through the mountain passes fully loaded will be a chore. I want to send Ineos a message about this, maybe if enough people do they might think about a power bump. It's possible the US version will have different power numbers, this is the version meant for the UK and Europe... one can hope.

I am not a BMW guy but they do have a mild hybrid or supercharged version of the 3.0L which has more power but I assume its more complicated and you wouldn't want that 100's of miles into nowhere.

Quick Reply: Ineos Configurator Now Live