2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Would you order a Grenadier?
Yes to keep
50.00%
Yes to flip
6.25%
No
25.00%
Why am I here?
18.75%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Ineos Configurator Now Live

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2022, 11:04 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,402 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by _Allegedly
They wanted full torque at the lowest rpm. Towing, pulling a boat out of the water, and rock crawling should help take your mind off of how much of a loaded teapot it will be around town.
I'll be very interested in how that feels in actual day-to-day driving. I just got back from the beach again and that 4.5-hour interstate drive offers numerous times I need to zoom around some 71mph left-lane bandit very quickly before he closes the gap between with the 68mph right-lane dweller and I'm stuck behind the two of them. On those occasions the effortless big power of the P400 is welcome and necessary. But most of the time I find it very hard to judge right-foot throttle input properly for a medium-speed getaway from stop at a light or pulling out of a driveway into traffic. It's easy to stomp it and get moving quickly, it's easy to really baby it and putter up to 50 in 20 seconds, but moving along at a 0-50 clip of 10 seconds seems to result in surging power delivery, or an abrupt transition from slow to fast, with a big gear kickdown in the middle. I find that Sport mode helps make power delivery both more immediate and more linear, but still not satisfying.

Old 05-24-2022, 01:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 262 Likes on 138 Posts

Something to think about is what is the fuel rating and what the current engine design brings to the table. It can run on really crappy gas.

The BMW engine can produce close to 1000hp (with limited mods around 3G) but to get that HP and torque, you need to run high octane mixed with water-methanol to keep it cool. As much as I have a dream of driving this around the world, at least for next 10 years, I will be driving in North America and have the luxury of better quality fuel. This means I can tune the engine up to 500hp for 1k and run the high octane gas that I already run in the L663. When the time comes to drive across Africa, I will detune the engine by removing all the stuff that requires high octane and I will have the low HP engine again. I also believe the tractor axels and drive shafts can handle a higher HP and torque. We already know the ZF transmission can handle it.

Old 05-24-2022, 08:39 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,412 Likes on 713 Posts

Originally Posted by ADVAW8S
Something to think about is what is the fuel rating and what the current engine design brings to the table. It can run on really crappy gas.

The BMW engine can produce close to 1000hp (with limited mods around 3G) but to get that HP and torque, you need to run high octane mixed with water-methanol to keep it cool. As much as I have a dream of driving this around the world, at least for next 10 years, I will be driving in North America and have the luxury of better quality fuel. This means I can tune the engine up to 500hp for 1k and run the high octane gas that I already run in the L663. When the time comes to drive across Africa, I will detune the engine by removing all the stuff that requires high octane and I will have the low HP engine again. I also believe the tractor axels and drive shafts can handle a higher HP and torque. We already know the ZF transmission can handle it.

Ahh, detuned so I can run my french fry grease through it. Makes sense. I had assumed only for low rpm torque but had a feeling I was missing part of the story.

Does that open up a NAS/ ROW since pretty much everyone in North America could at least run clean 89? Or is this truly an end-of-days no apologies zombie hunter?

This is shaping up to be the truck that all the sh*tposters in the comment section of every Defender story ever published insist that LR should have built. Problem is, those people also have rules about buying a first model year, anything made in France, most BMW things, and... most are also broke.

The following 2 users liked this post by _Allegedly:
GrouseK9 (05-25-2022), Jarrodrex (05-28-2022)
Old 05-24-2022, 08:54 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by _Allegedly

This is shaping up to be the truck that all the sh*tposters in the comment section of every Defender story ever published insist that LR should have built. Problem is, those people also have rules about buying a first model year, anything made in France, most BMW things, and... most are also broke.
:roflmao:

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (05-25-2022)
Old 05-24-2022, 11:58 PM
Drifting
Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Just learned the Grenadier Prototype tour is coming to Vancouver, BC. Signed up to see it in a few weeks - stoked to see it in person! Now I can ask the Ineos folks in person about the HP / Torque numbers and getting a real close look.

Old 05-25-2022, 05:27 AM
Mudding
Received 147 Likes on 83 Posts

Beyond the whole first model first year thing, aftermarket support will probably have me delaying a bit even past the US release date. The stock approach/departure angles and ground clearance are a downgrade from the defender for instance, so i’d want to lift it at least a couple inches (also aesthetically, it needs much more rubber to my eye to balance that boxy shape).

this could just be Ineos not truly understanding the US market of course. People in this very forum slate the Defender for not being offered with 33s, while the Grenadier is rocking 31.6” rubber. That’s not going to steal sales from the Wrangler/Bronco offroad market. Anyways, it’s good to have more options, and by the time it could feasibly be delivered to me i’ll be getting close to my Defender warranty mileage limit lol

Last edited by Mcdooogs; 05-25-2022 at 06:12 AM.
Old 05-25-2022, 02:14 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Mcdooogs
Beyond the whole first model first year thing, aftermarket support will probably have me delaying a bit even past the US release date. The stock approach/departure angles and ground clearance are a downgrade from the defender for instance, so i’d want to lift it at least a couple inches (also aesthetically, it needs much more rubber to my eye to balance that boxy shape).

this could just be Ineos not truly understanding the US market of course. People in this very forum slate the Defender for not being offered with 33s, while the Grenadier is rocking 31.6” rubber. That’s not going to steal sales from the Wrangler/Bronco offroad market. Anyways, it’s good to have more options, and by the time it could feasibly be delivered to me i’ll be getting close to my Defender warranty mileage limit lol
Old Man Emu has stated that they are working on a lift as we speak.
Here is the kicker, you can put 35 with limited modification, rumor has it no modifications. Here is a comparison of Grenadier vs coil L663. Approach Angle: Gren 35.5 vs L663 31.5, Breakover Angle: Gren 28.2 vs L663: 24.2, Departure Angle: Gren 36.1 vs. L663 37.5

Old 05-25-2022, 02:23 PM
Rock Crawling

"Does that open up a NAS/ ROW since pretty much everyone in North America could at least run clean 89? Or is this truly an end-of-days no apologies zombie hunter?"

It is a zombie hunter all the way

Old 05-25-2022, 04:44 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by ADVAW8S

It is a zombie hunter all the way
As long as the zombies don't have any EMPs.

Old 05-26-2022, 08:09 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

I saw on FB that someone has already ordered one! In "Slate Blue" I believe. Wow. Seems like it's starting to get real.