2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the integrated air compressor worth the cost?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2021, 04:51 PM
Winching
Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts

Can it really be a DEFENDER if the build-sheet doesn't exceed $100K ?

LOL

The following users liked this post:
Vin (08-24-2021)
Old 06-19-2021, 08:53 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

It’s one of my favorite things on the Defender. It’s fast enough for my needs, and the deflate/inflate function is awesome. Hose reaches my trailer easily. Totally worth the money.

DonMitsu (08-24-2021)
Old 06-20-2021, 03:47 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,302 Likes on 950 Posts

My plan is to use my regular 110V small compressor plugged into the outlet that comes as part of the off-road package as needed. Granted it won't be as simple as the built in option but I'll rarely use it. Even if you're airing down regularly I reckon there are better solutions for a lot less than $1000.

Loading up the trunk for a camping trip or something like that, lobbing coolers and boxes in there, I'd worry about børking it up somehow with my clumsy hamfistedness.

I just hope the power outlet will provide enough juice for the little compressor I have. I'm guessing that is the main reason for the power outlet featuring in the off road pack.

Just a thought if you've already paid for the power outlet. Seems to make the onboard compressor redundant,

Old 06-20-2021, 04:29 AM
Winching
Received 559 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by GavinC
I just hope the power outlet will provide enough juice for the little compressor I have.
150 watts max. Not much. You may want to look for 12v alternatives.

GavinC (06-20-2021)
Old 06-20-2021, 06:09 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,394 Likes on 688 Posts

I use a Viair 400P. Alligator clip it to battery terminals. It’s fast and will take 4 37” tires from 7-25 psi without complaint. I think I paid $175 in 2014. And I use Stauns to deflate. 4 to a kit, screw them on each valve stem, get back in and start driving. They deflate to whatever PSI you’ve set them to then shut off. You hear them whistling as long as they’re still deflating. When they’re finished, you get out and remove them from the valve stems.

I woulda considered the factory unit if it was under 300 bucks, just to have one with me always (I don’t drive around with the Viair in back, even though it’s really tidy. But for a grand, I’ll pass, since I would take the Viair anyway if I was going off-road intentionally, and that would be 95% of my use case for a compressor. So in reality, I might only use the OEM one once or twice in five years.

GavinC (06-20-2021)
Old 06-20-2021, 01:12 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,302 Likes on 950 Posts

Originally Posted by umbertob
150 watts max. Not much. You may want to look for 12v alternatives.
150Watts. That should work nicely for my other defender

The following 2 users liked this post by GavinC:
AustralianIdoma (11-29-2021), jwasson68 (07-20-2021)
Old 06-20-2021, 03:15 PM
Mudding
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

If money isn't a concern, it's a nice unit to have on board, but if you calculate the cost per fill, there are alternate options. I've run a single pump Viair that you will need to check duty rating as some models will overheat and shut down before you get all 4 tires filled. It is more of an issue with 35" and larger, but something to be aware of portable external compressors. After a short run on a portable Viair unit, I ran an ARB dual compressor unit in my Jeep. With the Defender, I'm going to go C02 Powertank and carry when I run off road. No heat and very fast. Refillable at anyplace that handles paint-ball guns. Just another option to toss in the mix.

Old 06-20-2021, 04:09 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,394 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBreeze
If money isn't a concern, it's a nice unit to have on board, but if you calculate the cost per fill, there are alternate options. I've run a single pump Viair that you will need to check duty rating as some models will overheat and shut down before you get all 4 tires filled. It is more of an issue with 35" and larger, but something to be aware of portable external compressors. After a short run on a portable Viair unit, I ran an ARB dual compressor unit in my Jeep. With the Defender, I'm going to go C02 Powertank and carry when I run off road. No heat and very fast. Refillable at anyplace that handles paint-ball guns. Just another option to toss in the mix.
I have a 5# CO2 tank; it’s spectacularly fast and simple. My only complaint was I took it on a two-week jaunt to Moab and ran out pretty early and couldn’t find a CO2 fill place in town; wound up borrowing a portable compressor from a friend who lives there but I was surprised how quickly the 5-pounder ran out. I would probably go with 10# if I had it to do over, but those tanks are so dang big!

Old 06-21-2021, 10:53 AM
Mudding
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
I have a 5# CO2 tank; it’s spectacularly fast and simple. My only complaint was I took it on a two-week jaunt to Moab and ran out pretty early and couldn’t find a CO2 fill place in town; wound up borrowing a portable compressor from a friend who lives there but I was surprised how quickly the 5-pounder ran out. I would probably go with 10# if I had it to do over, but those tanks are so dang big!

I hear ya. Particularly when filling large tires (37's or 40's) on beadlocks where as you are dropping down to as low as 8 lbs of air.
With the Defender, I'll keep the stock tires and wheels, and the relatively few times I'll be airing down, a 10 lb tank will be more than enough for a couple years before needing a refill.
This chart gives a good idea as to what to expect: https://powertank.com/pages/tire-air-up-chart

Old 08-24-2021, 10:49 AM
Vin
Mudding
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts

Did you have your tank finished to match your truck? If so, hats off to you sir!

Quick Reply: Is the integrated air compressor worth the cost?