2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JLR Spec Oil - Where/What Did you Buy?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2021, 10:56 AM
Winching
Received 559 Likes on 252 Posts

And this new one, also by Liqui Moly, is approved for the newer standard STJLR.03.5006. I might switch to that one when I run out of Special Tec LR, on the basis that this one's a bit cheaper.

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by umbertob; 10-08-2021 at 11:10 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by umbertob:
Iceman153 (10-07-2021), Kev M (10-07-2021), nashvegas (01-25-2024), PaulLR (10-07-2021)
Old 10-07-2021, 11:03 AM
Mudding
Received 120 Likes on 77 Posts

Yes - it just doesn't appear when you browse for it, or appear as a recommendation for the Defender.

Originally Posted by umbertob
And this new one, also by Liqui Moly, is approved for the newer standard STJLR.03.5006. I might switch to that one when I run out of Special Tec LR, on that basis that this one's a bit cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/Liqui-Moly-22...54149594&psc=1
Interesting. I guess it is better to follow the newer standard given the choice.

Old 10-07-2021, 11:46 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 697 Likes on 405 Posts

I only trust what is printed on the container. often it does not show up there. And I keep the container to know the truth

if umbertob is correct, the he has located the First oil available in the US to meet the Defender spec.

it will be interesting to hear if it shows up on the new Liqi Moly bottle. I will order some and see. Will let you know.

Enjoy !!

The following users liked this post:
Kev M (10-07-2021)
Old 10-07-2021, 11:51 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 697 Likes on 405 Posts

mupperty

correct no oil meets the new Defender spec — besides maybe the one just found by umbertob.

we are all running to the “current”, which is supposed to be replace the 21k mile “new” one and which the dealers, distribution and stores did not prepare to support in the US.

We had the same situation when JLR switched to the “current one”. Circa 2016 and beyond.

Old 10-07-2021, 11:59 AM
Winching
Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

I think Castrol professional 0/20 is recommended for better mileage and emissions but in the long run, the 0/40 weight would be better which is standard for Mercedes Benz'.

Old 10-07-2021, 12:39 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 304 Likes on 171 Posts

So I checked with my dealer. They buy only in bulk and will/do not sell even 1L/1qt bottles to customers even to top it up telling them to "just stop by and we'll top it up for you if necessary".

When the parts guy was pushed he said just used Castrol 0W-20 synthetic. Of course that statement wasn't in writing and the off-chance of him repeating it should a motor suffer catastrophic failure in warranty would seem slim.

So I visited the service department for the first time. Had a lovely conversation with a nice service writer and tech. They said "yeah, just forget the 21k mile BS and do it 10ish" and that they were happy to handle the dirty work and fluids for $265.

I think that despite my usual embracing of longer oil intervals I'm going to just have them do it and forget about it this time. Though I'm REALLY tempted to ask for an oil sample and send it out for analysis just to know. I just have such distrust of shops that I don't even know if I believe they would hand me MY OWN oil as a sample if you know what I mean.

Originally Posted by umbertob
And this new one, also by Liqui Moly, is approved for the newer standard STJLR.03.5006. I might switch to that one when I run out of Special Tec LR, on that basis that this one's a bit cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/Liqui-Moly-22...54149594&psc=1
Now THIS ONE has my attention.

Though I would generally prefer to keep with the OEM fill/brand during warranty if given the choice. But at least this is an option when I decide to I change it myself (which is definitely going to happen).

Ohhh, forgive me this thought as I'm not generally a litigious person. It seems a strong case can be made that JLR has chosen a spec of oil that is not being made available in the US (with possible exception to the above link that might foil my idea).

But does the Magnuson Moss Federal Warranty Act not specifically say that a manufacturer cannot require a specific fluid or part be used to maintain a warranty UNLESS they provide that fluid/part free of charge?

That's not the exact wording, but I'm under the impression it means that they must allow other brand/aftermarket equivalents or provide the OEM fluid/part?

If they have specified something that cannot be bought or even shipped to the US and their dealers won't sell it to us, do we not have a decent shot at a class action lawsuit against them for the cost of every oil change on every vehicle they've sold in the US since this started? I wonder if a lawyer wouldn't want to take a stab at a piece of THAT pie. In the end, it might mean we at least get access to the OEM fluids in the future?!?

Just a thought.

Old 10-07-2021, 12:53 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,406 Likes on 709 Posts

I hate to be like this but Amazon has a rampant problem with counterfeits.

There is NO way I'd put Amazon-bought oil in my truck unless Liqui Moly verifies that they are shipping from their warehouse and not fulfilling through Amazon.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/money.c...re/%3famp=true

Last edited by _Allegedly; 10-07-2021 at 12:57 PM.
Old 10-07-2021, 01:13 PM
Winching

FWIW, the Land Rover workshop manual for the new Defender still instructs technicians to fill the engine with spec STJLR.51.5122 oil. The newer standard may be printed in the Owner Manual, but is not even mentioned in the manual used by their own dealerships.

The following 2 users liked this post by umbertob:
Kev M (10-07-2021), TrioLRowner (10-07-2021)
Old 10-07-2021, 01:37 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by _Allegedly
I hate to be like this but Amazon has a rampant problem with counterfeits.

There is NO way I'd put Amazon-bought oil in my truck unless Liqui Moly verifies that they are shipping from their warehouse and not fulfilling through Amazon.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/money.c...re/%3famp=true

​​​​​​I don't believe Liqui Moly ships direct, but on their US web site they list several "authorized" online partners (truth be told Amazon ain't one of them - it almost never is, though), where I assume chances of you not buying the genuine article would be slim. Their prices generally appear to be in line with Amazon's.

https://products.liqui-moly.us/oils/...e-0w-20-1.html

The following 2 users liked this post by umbertob:
Muppetry (10-07-2021), PaulLR (10-08-2021)
Old 10-07-2021, 01:43 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts
Exclamation Liqui-Moly site says no products avail

Hi guys,

I just went to the Liqui-Moly website and entered the criteria for a 2019>Defender 90 P400 and my screenshot says it all. This leads me to believe the Liqui-moly sold on Amazon is a fake.

Quick Reply: JLR Spec Oil - Where/What Did you Buy?