2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JLR Spec Oil - Where/What Did you Buy?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2021, 01:50 PM
Winching
Received 559 Likes on 252 Posts

Have you guys tried buying lugnuts for the new Defender? They are unavailable from almost any vendor in the universe, you'd think Land Rover has a monopoly on those stupid nuts, too... In reality, they are the same exact lugnuts that have been used for years on Sport, LR3, LR4, etc. Most aftermarket parts suppliers need time to catch up and update their databases of compatible vehicles - I assume that includes Liqui Moly, Mobil, etc.

Old 10-07-2021, 02:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 697 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by Kev M
So I checked with my dealer. They buy only in bulk and will/do not sell even 1L/1qt bottles to customers even to top it up telling them to "just stop by and we'll top it up for you if necessary".

When the parts guy was pushed he said just used Castrol 0W-20 synthetic. Of course that statement wasn't in writing and the off-chance of him repeating it should a motor suffer catastrophic failure in warranty would seem slim.

So I visited the service department for the first time. Had a lovely conversation with a nice service writer and tech. They said "yeah, just forget the 21k mile BS and do it 10ish" and that they were happy to handle the dirty work and fluids for $265.

I think that despite my usual embracing of longer oil intervals I'm going to just have them do it and forget about it this time. Though I'm REALLY tempted to ask for an oil sample and send it out for analysis just to know. I just have such distrust of shops that I don't even know if I believe they would hand me MY OWN oil as a sample if you know what I mean.

Now THIS ONE has my attention.

Though I would generally prefer to keep with the OEM fill/brand during warranty if given the choice. But at least this is an option when I decide to I change it myself (which is definitely going to happen).

Ohhh, forgive me this thought as I'm not generally a litigious person. It seems a strong case can be made that JLR has chosen a spec of oil that is not being made available in the US (with possible exception to the above link that might foil my idea).

But does the Magnuson Moss Federal Warranty Act not specifically say that a manufacturer cannot require a specific fluid or part be used to maintain a warranty UNLESS they provide that fluid/part free of charge?

That's not the exact wording, but I'm under the impression it means that they must allow other brand/aftermarket equivalents or provide the OEM fluid/part?

If they have specified something that cannot be bought or even shipped to the US and their dealers won't sell it to us, do we not have a decent shot at a class action lawsuit against them for the cost of every oil change on every vehicle they've sold in the US since this started? I wonder if a lawyer wouldn't want to take a stab at a piece of THAT pie. In the end, it might mean we at least get access to the OEM fluids in the future?!?

Just a thought.
Yep.

Same thing I was told in making personal conversation at three different dealers. They all use a big tank -- the same one for all the vehicles (at a set viscosity).

What upset me a bit was when, several years ago, all of North America JLR changed the oil from 5W-20 to 0W-20 for the Discovery 4 vehicles without telling the customer they had done so. When I challenged them, they said the service manager said he would allow a customer to special request a 5W-20 change -- but then the next week the tech said that the tank was no longer going to be serviced and I could only have 0W-20.

Turns out in Northern climes, the 5W oil flow in Winter was not sufficient to not have the timing chain go tap, tap, tap. Which is another design problem on D4s you can read about elsewhere. Just type in D4 timing belt tensioner issue......

Then I learned that the 0W-20 was also followed in the middle east -- which then had to document the hot country requirement of the original 5W-20. So now, there are officially two directives for D4 / LR4 oil -- one for hot and one for cold locations.

Old 10-07-2021, 02:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle

This one on the Liqui-moly website says the oil found by Umbertob will work for my P300 :

https://www.liqui-moly.com/en/servic...a24ff4b30852b/

Old 10-07-2021, 02:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Here is what the website shows for the P400:

https://www.liqui-moly.com/en/servic...522b802563d89/

The special tec is for hybrids ans start/stop vehicles. Wild.

commendation

Make Land Rover (EU)
Model Defender, L663 (2019- )
Type Defender 110 P400 (2019 - )
START NEW SEARCH

Engine INGENIUM L6

Oil change interval: Flexible (max)
- Capacity 8,8 litre (Service fill)
- Capacity 10,4 litre (Dry fill)

TOP TEC 6600 0W-20

SHOW DETAILS

SPECIAL TEC LR 0W-20

The following users liked this post:
Kev M (10-07-2021)
Old 10-07-2021, 03:17 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,406 Likes on 709 Posts

Originally Posted by TrioLRowner

The special tec is for hybrids ans start/stop vehicles. Wild
Click on approvals and recommendations.

Special is 5122. Top is 5006.

Which makes sense because if I'm on top, it doesn't matter if you're special. 🤪

Old 10-07-2021, 03:55 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by TrioLRowner

The special tec is for hybrids ans start/stop vehicles. Wild.

commendation

Make Land Rover (EU)
Model Defender, L663 (2019- )
Type Defender 110 P400 (2019 - )
START NEW SEARCH

Engine INGENIUM L6

Oil change interval: Flexible (max)
- Capacity 8,8 litre (Service fill)
- Capacity 10,4 litre (Dry fill)

TOP TEC 6600 0W-20

SHOW DETAILS

SPECIAL TEC LR 0W-20

Hi Trio,

So your search criteria was the 110 P400, mine was the 90 P400. Strange that they show nothing compatible for the 90 P400. Typical of a German company....complicated and makes no sense. I remember the good ol days when my 1971 Ford Gran Torino took 5 quarts of Quaker State 10W-30 .49 a qt.

Last edited by Low Country; 10-07-2021 at 03:57 PM.
Kev M (10-07-2021)
Old 10-07-2021, 06:15 PM
Winching
Received 559 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by Low Country
I remember the good ol days when my 1971 Ford Gran Torino took 5 quarts of Quaker State 10W-30 .49 a qt.
Right?!? We're all acting like a liter of motor oil for 9 bucks is like winning the lottery, some sort of gift from the Oil Gods bestowed upon the few of us lucky enough to find it. You don't have to go back to 1971 to remember that spending $3 or 4/qt for then top-of-the-line synthetic oil was considered an extravagant expense, and an oil and filter change - from the dealer! - was, like, 40 bucks for a pretty fancy car. That was maybe 20 years ago.

Then again, I guess it wasn't that long ago when car manufacturers used to recommend oil changes every 2/3k miles or the engine would literally melt down, either.

Old 10-07-2021, 06:20 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 304 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by umbertob

Right?!? We're all acting like a liter of motor oil for 9 bucks is like winning the lottery, some sort of gift from the Oil Gods bestowed upon the few of us lucky enough to find it. You don't have to go back to 1971 to remember that spending $3 or 4/qt for then top-of-the-line synthetic oil was considered an extravagant expense, and an oil and filter change - from the dealer! - was, like, 40 bucks for a pretty fancy car. That was maybe 20 years ago.

Then again, I guess it wasn't that long ago when car manufacturers used to recommend oil changes every 2/3k miles or the engine would literally melt down, either.
Well maybe not all the way back to 71, but closer then not. And of course $4 in 1971 = ~$27 today so that quart of $10 oil that lasts 3x longer (conservatively) is a friggin bargain.

Who lives better than we?

Old 10-07-2021, 08:28 PM
Mudding
Received 120 Likes on 77 Posts

Hi guys,

I just went to the Liqui-Moly website and entered the criteria for a 2019>Defender 90 P400 and my screenshot says it all. This leads me to believe the Liqui-moly sold on Amazon is a fake.
No - your screenshot doesn't say it all:

Kev M (10-08-2021)
Old 10-08-2021, 08:03 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Hi Trio,

So your search criteria was the 110 P400, mine was the 90 P400. Strange that they show nothing compatible for the 90 P400. Typical of a German company....complicated and makes no sense. I remember the good ol days when my 1971 Ford Gran Torino took 5 quarts of Quaker State 10W-30 .49 a qt.

l looked at the EU spec, not the US one.

I believe the US spec is not yet updated, as neither are the US workshop manuals or dealer employees; it seems.

Only the US owners manuals have the future spec and the supported 21k miles in it.

Quick Reply: JLR Spec Oil - Where/What Did you Buy?