2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key Fob

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2023, 07:05 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 381 Likes on 194 Posts

Since there was a whole lot of misinformation circulating around the dealerships concerning the activity key. The three I visited were totally misinformed. After a whole lot of research I found the secret of programming it to your car. Turned out the instructions on how to do it where inadvertently left lying on top of the Ark of the Covenant in that warehouse. I did end up finding the secrets, compiling them and going back to my original dealership and educating the tech and my service advisor on how to do it. You need to have all the keys you want programmed to that car present when you do it. Since all three keys have to be added at once after the wipe the key's serial numbers from the KVM module. They then add them back to the module.

Yes they screwed this up. They need to pay. Land Rover NA has always been very helpful to me over the decades. I would give them a shot, but you should give the dealer an opportunity to make it right and document that then hammer them at LRNA.

Now all that being said, originally, I ordered the AK, but they bumped it off my order due to availability. I found one on eBay. I brought this when I picked up the vehicle. They had no clue how to program it then. Neither did I. After I educated them, my service advisor informed that then, they could not install customer supplied parts. Armed with my origional order, I responded with if you could have you should have, but you couldn't so install it now. Thinking, get off your horse. Anyhow, they did it and charged me $265 to do it. A little teeth grinding, but I let it pass. I use the AK nearly all the time and really $265 is only 35 really $hitty Starbucks coffees.

The following users liked this post:
pjeski (12-15-2023)
Old 12-15-2023, 12:39 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Dogpilot
You need to have all the keys you want programmed to that car present when you do it. Since all three keys have to be added at once after the wipe the key's serial numbers from the KVM module. They then add them back to the module.
My dealer didn’t do it that way on mine. They just added the activity key because my second key FOB was at home during the programming. Both my key FOBs work fine as does the activity key.

Old 12-15-2023, 12:57 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

I should emphasize putting your Defender in “Service Mode” for anyone getting an activity key, or new key FOB programed. The owner has to do this via the Remote App. It keeps someone from being able to program a key to your car without authorization. Which makes sense because someone could otherwise just tow away your car (steal it) and easily program a key to it.

Old 12-15-2023, 04:41 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 381 Likes on 194 Posts

Then it looks as if the software has changed from when I did it. All keys had to be present to re-program the KVM module. I have subsequently not paid any attention to the process since mine now works and has since '22. The Remote app has only really worked in any capacity for the last year now, prior to that it was, less than useful.