2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Land assist not available" and no power steering on 2023 Defender 130 First Edition

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2023, 07:03 PM
Drifting
Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

Just happened to me 800 miles away from home in the middle of nowhere Texas, pulling a 6,000lb travel trailer in the dark through pouring rain, on my way to the Destination Defender event. The truck had no power steering and a lane assist warning. It was basically dead.

That’s not a quirky girl with “personally”. She basically rage quit, smashed her iPhone, and blamed me for not “getting her”. 2023.5 Defender 130….and reading through the forum it’s been an issue since at least 2021.

That GX550 is looking very compelling…and comes with 18” wheels that don’t require you to hack up the brake calipers.

Last edited by JBelt01; 11-09-2023 at 07:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
CenTXTodd (01-26-2024)
Old 11-10-2023, 06:50 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 682 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by JBelt01
That GX550 is looking very compelling…and comes with 18” wheels that don’t require you to hack up the brake calipers.
It also comes with those goofy running boards that not only look ugly but get in the way every time you get in and out. The shortest person in our family is 5'11" so we have no need for those annoying running boards.

Old 11-12-2023, 06:01 PM
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

You are a life saver - we were stuck in the mountains when the steering locked up and disconnected the neg terminal for 10 mins and BOOM, worked like a charm. Thank you!

The following 3 users liked this post by tahoehull:
Charlie G (04-19-2024), PaulLR (11-13-2023), WAFOX (11-12-2023)
Old 11-30-2023, 08:28 AM
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The power steering fail happened to me last night. Not fun. Is anyone confident there is a proven, proactive fix for this? I've seen mention of a software update, but it's not clear if that's proven or experimental.

Also, in case it matters, here are the details of my experience:
- For the first time ever, I decided to remove the e-brake separately from just putting it in D and stepping on the gas. Not sure why I did this...just thought I'd try it.
- There was a strange clunk sound when I stepped on the gas
- No power steering...no error/light/etc on the display (at least none that I saw)
- Loosened the negative batt cable, but didn't pull it off the post...door lights went out...waited 5 min before tightening
- Power steering restored

Update: the dealership wants to "replace the rack and pinion"....not sure how I feel about that.

Last edited by estecoca; 11-30-2023 at 10:29 AM.
Old 12-13-2023, 06:13 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 44 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm so glad I found this thread. I was 6 hrs from home, in a tight parking garage in NYC, when I had this issue. Fortunately I keep a tool kit in the car and the quick/easy battery disconnect did the trick.
Thanks @PaulLR for the solution.

The following 3 users liked this post by MickD:
CenTXTodd (01-26-2024), particulardude (12-13-2023), PaulLR (12-14-2023)
Old 01-08-2024, 03:27 PM
Drifting
Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Wll happy new year - happened on my 2020 110 this monring (in the driveway thank goodness). Unplugged her and it was fixed. FWIW - the negative terminal on mine is held on with a 7 or 8mm, not the 10.

Old 01-17-2024, 04:18 AM
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Hi, The Land Roiver engineer, just visited my home & checked for this fault (this was third time in last 3 months. He noted it might be a slightly loose connection, so he accessed it under the car, cleaned & refitted & all back to working order.
All my softwares were up to date & obviously he reset everything again. If I am trouble free for next 3 months, then it's worth asking LR to check the power steering control connections as the vehicle has electronic power assist not servo.
Thanks
Hassan

CenTXTodd (01-26-2024)
Old 01-23-2024, 05:02 PM
tre
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this exact issue - no power steering. The car is currently at the dealer for another item and I was told the power steering issue was due to an old version of the software (My Defender 110 is a 2024I picked up a few months ago). The new software version would not install over the air so they installed a new version of the software and told me this would fix the issue.

CenTXTodd (01-26-2024)
Old 01-26-2024, 01:38 PM
2nd Gear
Default Saved Me

Originally Posted by PaulLR
Move the passenger seat forward, disconnect the negative battery terminal using a 10mm wrench. Wait about 10 minutes, reconnect and you should be good to go.

The missing power steering happened to me a few times. I traced my issue to software updates not loading correctly due to poor cell service where I live. I added another WIFI router in the room over our garage. So when I run a software update, I turn off the cellular data in the Defender and instead connect the Defender to the home WIFI. Software updates now load correctly.

you absolutely saved me. I was up in the Ozarks about three hours from the nearest dealership when this happened. I weighed 250 pounds and could barely move the steering wheel. Thanks again for posting a great solution! I’m a new defender owner, this is my first land rover. When I called the dealership about the issue, they offered zero assistance. I’m really disappointed. I spent a lot of time in the mountains of New Mexico, Arizona and Utah, if this happened up there, I would’ve really been screwed.

The following 2 users liked this post by CenTXTodd:
ba_ (01-26-2024), Can_Glu (05-12-2024)
Old 01-26-2024, 01:41 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by estecoca
The power steering fail happened to me last night. Not fun. Is anyone confident there is a proven, proactive fix for this? I've seen mention of a software update, but it's not clear if that's proven or experimental.

Also, in case it matters, here are the details of my experience:
- For the first time ever, I decided to remove the e-brake separately from just putting it in D and stepping on the gas. Not sure why I did this...just thought I'd try it.
- There was a strange clunk sound when I stepped on the gas
- No power steering...no error/light/etc on the display (at least none that I saw)
- Loosened the negative batt cable, but didn't pull it off the post...door lights went out...waited 5 min before tightening
- Power steering restored

Update: the dealership wants to "replace the rack and pinion"....not sure how I feel about that.
replacing the rack and pinion should’ve sound weird when the problem was solved with a power reset. I had the issue last week but have not had a chance to get it to the dealership yet. I’ll let y’all know what they tell me.

Quick Reply: "Land assist not available" and no power steering on 2023 Defender 130 First Edition