2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Land Rover Roof Ladder with Front Runner?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2021, 05:44 PM
Drifting
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jwslo995
Hi Everyone,

Has anyone confirmed that it works or does not work? Spoke to frontrunner and they "think" it should work, as the mounts for the rack do not obstruct the slots for the factory ladder.

However the issue could be the clearance for the ladder mounts and the rack.

I have the rack, but I want to order the ladder. Anyone know if it can work?

Thanks

jared
I installed the Front Runner rack with the OEM roof rails last week. I picked up the ladder today from the dealership. Unfortunately, the truck will be in the shop for a week (its a month old and has minor warranty work). I’ll let you know as soon as I attempt the install. It should work, but might require adjusting the placement of the feet on the front runner rack

Old 03-22-2021, 09:12 PM
Mudding
Received 85 Likes on 57 Posts

Here's some pics. I love the rack, just wish they didn't make the legs so damn tall.

But overall, very happy with it so far.

Old 03-24-2021, 01:35 PM
Mudding
Received 141 Likes on 65 Posts

But if you had to remove the factory rails for the full length FR rack, will it still fit? I thought the top mounts fit into the factory rail. When that is removed for the FR rack, where would it attach? I want the lunchbox for recovery gear. Not enough space in this truck for my gear...may have to trade it for a 130 when they get here...

Old 03-24-2021, 07:33 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by spikemd
But if you had to remove the factory rails for the full length FR rack, will it still fit? I thought the top mounts fit into the factory rail. When that is removed for the FR rack, where would it attach? I want the lunchbox for recovery gear. Not enough space in this truck for my gear...may have to trade it for a 130 when they get here...
The full length FR rack uses “rails” that don’t allow the fitment of the ladder or the lunch box.

Old 03-25-2021, 09:08 AM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ladder works with the front runner rack that uses the stock rails. The ladder and lunchbox require the stock rails to work, after that it is only about spacing. I just installed both this weekend.

Old 03-26-2021, 09:43 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default What about proud rhino’s ladder?

Proud Rhino’s rear ladder attaches to the roof rails too. Has anyone tried installing it with FR’s long rack? Instructions attached.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Defender rear ladder .pdf (8.03 MB, 112 views)
The following users liked this post:
johnsonmc2000 (04-21-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 03:05 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nick this looks great. I am installing something similar and was also wondering about the overall height with the 60-70mm mounting feet into the OEM rails, which it looks like you also have. My question is about the height (which I think is to avoid a clash with the camera fin at the rear).

Did you move your rack tforward to avoid a clash with the fin, or was it to allow space to mount the OEM lunch box and ladder? and with that in mind do you think the 40-50mm mounting feet from Frontrunner may have worked instead? Second question is do you have a sunroof and how much space is there between the roof rack and glass when you open it? Final question, do you think there would be enough space to fit the undermount frontrunner table or is it all too crowded up there?

Regards Tim

Old 03-30-2021, 07:00 PM
Drifting

Just installed the OEM Ladder with the front runner rack. It fits just fine.,

Old 03-31-2021, 09:51 AM
Mudding
Received 85 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by timharwin
Nick this looks great. I am installing something similar and was also wondering about the overall height with the 60-70mm mounting feet into the OEM rails, which it looks like you also have. My question is about the height (which I think is to avoid a clash with the camera fin at the rear).

Did you move your rack tforward to avoid a clash with the fin, or was it to allow space to mount the OEM lunch box and ladder? and with that in mind do you think the 40-50mm mounting feet from Frontrunner may have worked instead? Second question is do you have a sunroof and how much space is there between the roof rack and glass when you open it? Final question, do you think there would be enough space to fit the undermount frontrunner table or is it all too crowded up there?

Regards Tim
Well, first, I actually attached the rear feet to the second to the last cross bar. Instead of the very last spot which is what is recommended. I could have managed to miss the fin and still have the feet in the fully rear position and accommodate the lunchbox but I already had it up there... I'm not worried about it. The only reason I didn't go over the fin was to just keep the rack as low as possible.

The middle and rear feet are in their lowest position, the front feet are raised about 1/2in to allow the sunroof to slide under the fairing. Since the rear sits slightly higher, the rack doesn't look uneven. I was actually planning on getting the table, just haven't yet. The site says the table needs 2.5in (I believe) and I'll have plenty of space.

As far as the shorter feet, if you want the wind fairing, you'd have to raise the whole thing anyway...

Hope that helps!

Old 04-01-2021, 04:34 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cheers Nick, really helpful.
I have the large table and brackets ready to go. Just waiting some other components before installing over the next couple of weeks.

From what I can see the installation of the large table undermount will prevent the sunroof from opening more than 50% which is dissapointing, so it might be worth thinking about the smaller table if you havent already purchased yet, to allow the sunroof to open almost fully. I will report back once I install.

Quick Reply: Land Rover Roof Ladder with Front Runner?