Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loaded 4cyc or Stripped 6cyc?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2020, 09:10 PM
4wd Low
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Loaded 4cyc or Stripped 6cyc?

I'm currently in the market for a new Defender and have multiple builds in the online configurator. Curious to poll owners if they think the extra power from the 6cyc is more important than "bells and whistles"? My 4cyc build includes extras like Tasman Blue, White roof, sunroof, upgraded stereo, cold weather pack, tow hitch, etc. If I went with the 6cyc I'd limit my extras to the tow hook and heated seats. I did drive the 4cyc and found the power adequate but certainly nothing to brag about. I have no interest in the X models... I like the utilitarian feel of the base models.

Advice welcome.

Old 11-16-2020, 09:00 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 634 Likes on 381 Posts

Totally a personal preference decision. I would consider what you are currently driving now as a baseline. I'm coming from a V8 LR4 so I had to go with the P400. Driving style also matters, as before my LR4 I owned a few rather powerful Audis and enjoy "spirited" driving.

On my hour-long P400 test drive, I went on a good mix of hilly back roads and highway driving. Take both out on a long test drive and see which you prefer. You want to be happy with your decision every day you get behind the wheel. Worst case, add a year to your loan and get everything you want.

Old 11-16-2020, 01:08 PM
Mudding
Received 89 Likes on 49 Posts

Hi,

Personally, I don't care about the engine as much as I do about all of the options the P400 opens up. If you could get all of the options on a p300 that you could on the more expensive P400, I would gladly take it.

If you are used to certain creature comforts that are only available on the P400, that makes it more appealing. If you are coming from a Wrangler or other low content vehicle, a P300 may work just fine. I looked at both options just as you are doing, but I wanted some of the stuff you can only get on the P400, so that made my decision for me.

Good luck,

Rob

Old 11-16-2020, 01:30 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 102 Likes on 74 Posts

Go test drive them both and then make your personal decision. I couldn't spend money on the 300 since the p400 exists. You may find differently... then budget accordingly. It sounds like you must have a dollar amount that you aren't willing to pass.

Old 11-16-2020, 04:59 PM
Winching
Received 246 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by crewcabrob
Hi,

Personally, I don't care about the engine as much as I do about all of the options the P400 opens up. If you could get all of the options on a p300 that you could on the more expensive P400, I would gladly take it.

If you are used to certain creature comforts that are only available on the P400, that makes it more appealing. If you are coming from a Wrangler or other low content vehicle, a P300 may work just fine. I looked at both options just as you are doing, but I wanted some of the stuff you can only get on the P400, so that made my decision for me.

Good luck,

Rob
What options are you referring to? I know the memory seats are on the SE model + but what else is there that you cant piece together on the base or s models?

Old 11-16-2020, 05:12 PM
Mudding
Received 89 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Moretti
What options are you referring to? I know the memory seats are on the SE model + but what else is there that you cant piece together on the base or s models?
Hi,

Features that are important to me that I don't believe you can get on the P300 are, Meridian Surround system, (not just the Meridian Sound system), and the nicer Windsor leather with cooling, I can't remember if memory seats are on the P300 in S trim or not., but that would be important to me.

I bought an HSE, so it comes with a lot of the goodies I expect from a modern Land Rover.

Best of luck on your desicion.

Rob

Old 11-16-2020, 05:26 PM
Winching
Received 246 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by crewcabrob
Hi,

Features that are important to me that I don't believe you can get on the P300 are, Meridian Surround system, (not just the Meridian Sound system), and the nicer Windsor leather with cooling, I can't remember if memory seats are on the P300 in S trim or not., but that would be important to me.

I bought an HSE, so it comes with a lot of the goodies I expect from a modern Land Rover.

Best of luck on your desicion.

Rob
The trim lines are confusing to me as, at least for 2021, there is a base SE and an x-dynamic SE so not sure if people will also be clear on what's being actually compared.

I believe you can only get memory seats starting on the base SE model for 2021 . The 2021 SE's do not have the Windsor leather package, and it looks like you have to jump up to the x-dynamic hse for that package (I think the x-dynamic se has a different leather package than the base se does)

I believe the second level of upgraded audio system is the meridian "surround" system which has a stronger woofer and 4 more speakers.

Seems like a big price jump from p300 to p400 and they force you to go with the p400 if you want some of the higher level interior "options."