Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

low mileage oil change question

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2022, 01:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 634 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by Kev M
No OEM is going to make a maintenance schedule recommendation that is going to tank their motors during OR AFTER warranty period. Their reputation is worth much more than any perceived "convenience" of low maintenance.
Manufacturers can't predict the upcoming engine issues when they create the maintenance schedule. Most LR4 owners that changed the oil every 7500 miles instead of the recommended 15,000 miles didn't have to buy new timing chain guides at 100K miles. Mine were quiet past 150,000 miles because I changed the oil every 7500 miles. And I guess JLR forgot to note in the LR4 maintenance schedule schedule the need to replace the plastic coolant manifold and plastic crossover pipes at 100K miles. Better to spend the $1500 for those or risk buying a new $12K engine. I'm sure we will find out what unexpected issues these new P400 engines will have over time and mileage.

The following users liked this post:
jusmax88 (12-12-2022)
Old 12-12-2022, 02:37 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 185 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by sarek
The Ingenium family of engines in our Defenders are not sourced from BMW. Modern engines have extended oil change intervals due mainly to emissions regulations. The quality of synthetic oil is a lot more advanced now, so manufacturers are pushing longer and longer to get emissions incentives. Do some research on the term "fully synthetic". Surprisingly, it does not mean no Dino oil. In this case, th incentive is creating less waste oil. The less you change the oil, the less waste oil is created and risk of spillage during oil changes. Manufacturers are given emissions points for things like long interval oil changes. These engines are tested to survive at these intervals, so you can follow the manufacturers recommend intervals and it should be ok. A similar situation would be the transmission oil and filter. Jlr says that the the fluid is a lifetime fill. But if you check with the manufacturer of the transmission, there is a service interval. Again, jlr kits incentivized to not change fluids. I agree with you, it will never hurt to change fluids more often. However, I definitely do not believe it's a waste of money. If you want to minimize mechanical issues in the long term well beyond manufacturers warranty and/ or what they consider lifetime of the vehicle, I would suggest to get some unbiased advice and create your own service schedule versus just listening to the manufacturer. They typically want you to buy a new Land Rover to replace the one you have, not keep the one you have for the long term.
You’re correct in the BMW part, only one is the V8 in the new RR that’s sourced from them, and in regards to fully synthetic, I was referring to its ability to be changed less often and better off for engine components as a whole, not that there is no fossil fuel in it. That’s why I said, “pretty good”.

Old 12-12-2022, 04:25 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 304 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by jusmax88
if you were doing super short runs in freezing temps (moving car in NYC winter for alternate side parking) what do you think your interval would be?
I'd Probably go ahead and do the year thing then.

[​​​QUOTE=PaulLR;848059]Manufacturers can't predict the upcoming engine issues when they create the maintenance schedule.[/QUOTE]

Though there may be unexpected issues they damn well can predict if the majority of owners will be fine with the oil change interval.

​​​​​​​

Last edited by Kev M; 12-12-2022 at 07:18 PM.
Old 12-12-2022, 06:40 PM
Winching
Received 559 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by jusmax88
if you were doing super short runs in freezing temps (moving car in NYC winter for alternate side parking) what do you think your interval would be?
You cut the regular schedule in half if operating under Land Rover's definition of "arduous conditions", e.g. frequent short trips, off-road use, trailer towing, frequent starts below freezing, dusty conditions, per your Passport to Service supplied with the vehicle. So, every 12 months or 10.5K miles, whichever occurs first. I submit that many of us drive under such "arduous conditions" at one point or another during our ownership, so... It's your vehicle, your decision in the end. I am a high mileage driver (about 25 to 30K miles per year, lots of short trips in stop-n-go traffic, hot and dusty southwest temperatures, off-roading fairly regularly) and put myself squarely in the arduous conditions category since I drove my first Land Rover 17 years ago. I change motor oil and filter every 7500 miles, 3 or 4 times per year.

See:https://www.ownerinfo.landrover.com/.../proc/G2726115 for the officially sanctioned maintenance schedule of 2.0 and 3.0-litere Ingenium petrol engines.

The following 5 users liked this post by umbertob:
jusmax88 (12-13-2022), Kev M (12-12-2022), MattF (12-12-2022), PaulLR (12-13-2022), TrioLRowner (12-13-2022)
Old 12-13-2022, 06:48 AM
Winching
Received 574 Likes on 302 Posts

^^^ This ^^^
Would be awful if JLR refused a warranty claim because they determined my use profile was "arduous conditions". It's cheap insurance on multiple fronts for me to have an oil service performed 5K-7K range.

Old 12-13-2022, 07:25 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

I tow from time to time (probably 20% of the mileage on the truck) and change the oil every 5k miles, which is when I rotate the tires (including spare). I did the filter on the first change @ 5k but only the oil @ 10k. I plan on that same schedule going forward, oil every 5k, oil/filter every 10k.

Old 12-13-2022, 11:41 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 233 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Kev M
No OEM is going to make a maintenance schedule recommendation that is going to tank their motors during OR AFTER warranty period. Their reputation is worth much more than any perceived "convenience" of low maintenance.

No dealer wants motors to blow up on their new or used vehicles or lease turn ins. Unhappy customers and a bad reputation can effect them almost as much as the OEM.

And if you look at the Defender mechanically I mean the damn crankcase is NINE FRIGGIN Liters on the P400. That's a lot of oil and a lot of additives to deal with byproducts of combustion. I'm sure that played a roll in their maintenance decisions. Maybe it's a chicken and egg thing - "make sure it has a 2 year oil change schedule" - "ok,,then we're doubling the amount of oil in the crankcase" or something like that. <shrugs>

Circumstances vary, and even I (who has been working in the industry for decades and was an early adopter of a 1 year/10k mile oil change on synthetics as far back as the 90s) have a tough time with a 20K+/2 year oil change. I had every intention of doing it that way though.... till 12 months came and we had ~10k miles on it...and I though OH WHAT THE HELL.

So I guess I'm going to stick with 1 year changes, it's easy and doesn't hurt me, and we do about 10k miles a year on it so WTH... But I do go longer on some of our vehicles when they are no where near the mileage.

If our mileage was 3k or 5k per year, unless it was really severe service (super short runs in freezing temps and/or nothing but desert heat) then I would probably go 2 years and not worry about it.
+1

Not to mention all the motors they have to replace or rebuild under the extended warranty!

This whole theory/narrative about car makers would engineer cars that will start breaking down after the warranty is absurd.

I bought my Audi A3 2.0 TSI new in 2006. I followed the factory recommended schedule maintenance and when I sold it more than 10 years later, it had over 200k miles and the motor never had any issues

The following 2 users liked this post by sacharama:
Kev M (12-13-2022), WTFChuck (12-13-2022)
Old 12-13-2022, 11:57 AM
Mudding
Received 129 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by sacharama
+1

Not to mention all the motors they have to replace or rebuild under the extended warranty!

This whole theory/narrative about car makers would engineer cars that will start breaking down after the warranty is absurd.

I bought my Audi A3 2.0 TSI new in 2006. I followed the factory recommended schedule maintenance and when I sold it more than 10 years later, it had over 200k miles and the motor never had any issues
There is no Land Rover extended warranty, so as long as it doesn’t break in the first four years they’re good to go.

I’m sure LR want to make reliable engines since reliability is such a high priority for them, if they acquired a reputation (deserved or otherwise) for making unreliable cars people would SURELY stop buying them…

Their strategy is lease for 3 years and then sell it to someone who is happy to get an LR at such a deep discount. Those that lease are generally happy as long as there are minimal problems and all problems are covered under warranty.

Kev M (12-13-2022)
Old 12-13-2022, 11:58 AM
Winching
Received 574 Likes on 302 Posts

JLR doesn't offer extended warranties directly. It's all done through the dealerships and third parties so there is no risk to JLR if an engine fails after warranty.

jusmax88 (12-13-2022)
Old 12-13-2022, 12:00 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 304 Likes on 171 Posts

Yeah, It's not zero risk to their reputation.

Quick Reply: low mileage oil change question