Sponsored by:

low mileage oil change question

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2022, 12:38 PM
Mudding
Received 129 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by sacharama
Not true.

​​​​​​Audi/VW also has a timing belt premature failure issue and there was a class action lawsuit too. If I recall correctly, the failure was not due to oil, instead, it was due to a failure on the water pump that subsequently caused the timing belt to fail.
Whats not true? I didn’t say ALL timing chain issues are caused by dirty oil.

Also timing belt =\= timing chain, but yes there are many different reasons for either to fail; one of the most common for chains is dirty oil.

Old 12-13-2022, 12:42 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 304 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by jusmax88
Are you guys not familiar with LR’s reliability reputation (again, deserved or otherwise)?

Theres a class action lawsuit re: timing chain issues and engine failures on LR vehicles. I’m not a mechanic but my understanding is that timing chain issues are often caused by not changing oil frequently enough
It's very unlikely that the issue a simple direct cause and effect but I'm not familiar with the particular issue with regards to LR motor in question.

I have spent my entire career in the service/repair industry and pattern problems crop up for every model at some point or another, but I can't recall a single case where the OEM maintenance recommendations were insufficient and the sole cause.

Old 12-13-2022, 12:51 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Kev M
It's very unlikely that the issue a simple direct cause and effect but I'm not familiar with the particular issue with regards to LR motor in question.

I have spent my entire career in the service/repair industry and pattern problems crop up for every model at some point or another, but I can't recall a single case where the OEM maintenance recommendations were insufficient and the sole cause.
Just curious, why are you changing/planning on changing your oil annually? You mentioned two years doesn’t feel right so was just curious as to why.

Definitely more interested in the opinions of others (and how lucky we are to have a mechanic willing to give free advice) than hammering this thread over and over with mine, think I’ve made my perspective pretty clear lol.

Old 12-13-2022, 01:11 PM
Rock Crawling

Just curious, why are you changing/planning on changing your oil annually? You mentioned two years doesn’t feel right so was just curious as to why.

Definitely more interested in the opinions of others (and how lucky we are to have a mechanic willing to give free advice) than hammering this thread over and over with mine, think I’ve made my perspective pretty clear lol.
As I stated earlier I am an early adopter of extended oil changes going to 10k changes on M1 products as far back as the late 90's.

In those days I'd seen oil analysis reports on some test vehicles come back good as far out as 10k, 15k, etc.

Hell, I've gone as long as 17k miles following the oil life monitoring algorithms on some of my own vehicles, in that case a Mini Cooper S that was driven in anger for over 100k miles and was still oil tight and fine when traded). Of course my wife and I were both putting way more miles in a year on our vehicles than we do now, so maybe that's part of the equation.

I have no problems going the 8-10k miles that our Jeep's oil life monitors have recommended over the years. And my own usage is generally gentle enough that I've not worried about say 15-16 months on a change (during COVID years for instance).

I had EVERY INTENTION of letting the Defender go the full 21k or whatever the OEM P400 rec was (in my mind I wanted to say it was 24k). But we had some minor warranty related issues we wanted handled at the close of the first year, plus a recall, and I figured WTF I'll just have them change the oil as long as it's in.

Then this year it came around again and we were just getting to 20k miles and I saw a brake flush was included in the recommended two year old service. Not having access to a scan tool for JLR and no real interest in going down that rabbit hole I said screw it there is no harm in being ultra conservative for now and I decide to just go ahead and have it serviced again.

I know damn well it's too soon, and our use does NOT fall under severe (or "arduous" in JLR speak). I may actually let it go longer after the warranty period.

I haven't bothered to do anything myself except change a couple of flats. To be honest maybe I'm just getting lazy. This is the first vehicle in decades I've let ANYONE ELSE perform maintenance on, never mind something as basic as an oil change.

Yeah, I guess I don't have a good reason. But there must be something in the back of my mind that is keeping me (old habits die hard) from going a full two years. For some reason, maybe because a year is considered a sacred cow to so many techs, that even though I don't have a problem going LONGER... I just can't seem to feel comfortable going a full two.

I really should stop being lazy and take an oil sample after a year and send it out. Then repeat after 18 months.... and then when they both look good (and I truly think they would) just stop overthinking it and go to 24 months.

But till then... I guess it gives me warm and fuzzies and one less thing to worry about.

Last edited by Kev M; 12-14-2022 at 06:43 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Kev M:
GrouseK9 (12-14-2022), Huc (12-13-2022), jusmax88 (12-13-2022)
Old 12-13-2022, 01:34 PM
Mudding

As I stated earlier I am an early adopter of extended oil changes going to 10k changes on M1 products as far back as the late 90's.

In those days I'd seen oil analysis reports on some test vehicles come back good as far out as 10k, 15k, etc.

Hell, I've gone as long as 17k miles following the oil life monitoring algorithms on some of my own vehicles, in that case a Mini Cooper S that was driven in anger for over 100k miles and was still oil tight and fine when traded). Of course my wife and I were both putting way more miles in a year on our vehicles than we do now, so maybe that's part of the equation.

I have no problems going the 8-10k miles that our Jeeps oil life monitors have recommended over the years. And my own usage is generally gentle enough that I've not worried about say 15-16 months on a change (during COVID years for instance).

I had EVERY INTENTION of letting the Defender go the full 21k or whatever the OEM P400 rec was (in my mind I wanted to say it was 24k). But we had some minor warranty related issues we wanted handled at the close of the first year, plus a recall, and I figured WTF I'll just have them change the oil as long as it's in.

Then this year it came around again and we were just getting to 20k miles and I saw a brake flush was included in the recommended two year old sercvice. Not having access to a scan tool for JLR and no real interest in going down that rabbit hole I said screw it there is no harm in being ultra conservative for now and I decide to just go ahead and have it serviced again.

I know damn well it's too soon, and our use does NOT fall under severe (or "arduous" in JLR speak). I may actually let it go longer after the warranty period.

I haven't bothered to do anything myself except change a couple of flats. To be honest maybe I'm just getting lazy. This is the first vehicle in decades I've let ANYONE ELSE perform maintenance on, never mind something as basic as an oil change.

Yeah, I guess I don't have a good reason. But there must be something in the back of my mind that is keeping me (old habits die hard) from going a full two years. For some reason, maybe because a year is considered a sacred cow to so many techs, that even though I don't have a problem going LONGER... I just can't seem to feel comfortable going a full two.

I really should stop being lazy and take an oil sample after a year and send it out. Then repeat after 18 months.... and then when they both look good (and I truly think they would) just stop overthinking it and go to 24 months.

But till then... I guess it gives me warm and fuzzies and one less thing to worry about.
Makes sense to me, how much is an oil sample test usually approx? Appreciate all the info

Old 12-13-2022, 01:48 PM
Rock Crawling

Makes sense to me, how much is an oil sample test usually approx? Appreciate all the info
https://www.blackstone-labs.com/prod...ree-test-kits/

A couple of oz.

Old 12-13-2022, 04:23 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,394 Likes on 688 Posts

A couple of oz.
LOL, I think he meant the $35 part.

The following 3 users liked this post by NoGaBiker:
GrouseK9 (12-14-2022), jusmax88 (12-13-2022), Kev M (12-13-2022)
Old 12-13-2022, 04:39 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
LOL, I think he meant the $35 part.
lol at least he provided the link for me to get the answer, which was better than just the answer!

The following 2 users liked this post by jusmax88:
GrouseK9 (12-14-2022), Kev M (12-13-2022)
Old 12-13-2022, 08:00 PM
Rock Crawling

lol at least he provided the link for me to get the answer, which was better than just the answer!
. .

No seriously I cannot believe I read that THAT way. In my defense I was in the middle of a final drive housing rebuild procedure for an ATV. My mind was literally elsewhere....

The following users liked this post:
jusmax88 (12-13-2022)
Old 12-13-2022, 10:15 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all for the insights!

Quick Reply: low mileage oil change question