Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

low mileage oil change question

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2022, 12:11 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 233 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by jusmax88
There is no Land Rover extended warranty, so as long as it doesn’t break in the first four years they’re good to go.

I’m sure LR want to make reliable engines since reliability is such a high priority for them, if they acquired a reputation (deserved or otherwise) for making unreliable cars people would SURELY stop buying them…

Their strategy is lease for 3 years and then sell it to someone who is happy to get an LR at such a deep discount. Those that lease are generally happy as long as there are minimal problems and all problems are covered under warranty.
But the dealerships that sell the extended warranty would protest like mad if that's the case because the dealerships and/or the third party companies that have to pay for the replacement and/or rebuilt would not bare such risks. It's simple economics.

Old 12-13-2022, 12:14 PM
Winching
Received 610 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by sacharama
+1

Not to mention all the motors they have to replace or rebuild under the extended warranty!

This whole theory/narrative about car makers would engineer cars that will start breaking down after the warranty is absurd.

I bought my Audi A3 2.0 TSI new in 2006. I followed the factory recommended schedule maintenance and when I sold it more than 10 years later, it had over 200k miles and the motor never had any issues
Ditto to that. Manufacturers, especially ones such as Land Rover who have a history making Safari-tough vehicles sold world wide, do not build them to break. Owned a Saab 900 that clocked over 350k miles, and that was without factory recommended scheduled maintenance. Never flushed the gearbox or brake system. Only ever needed brakes, tires or replacement of CV joints, which after the first time, were easy to replace in less than an hour in my driveway.

The following users liked this post:
sacharama (12-13-2022)
Old 12-13-2022, 12:15 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by MattF
JLR doesn't offer extended warranties directly. It's all done through the dealerships and third parties so there is no risk to JLR if an engine fails after warranty.
Of course there are risks. Look at the big picture. Car manufacturers don't only look at whether or not they have to pay for repair, they look at wider scope of economic ramifications. The bad publicity that will come with all these motors failing shortly after the warranty would be disastrous in potential class action litigation as well as branding damage.

As I also mentioned in the previous post, the dealerships that sell the extended warranty would protest like mad if that's the case because the dealerships and/or the third party companies that have to pay for the replacement and/or rebuilt would not bare such risks. It's simple economics.

WTFChuck (12-13-2022)
Old 12-13-2022, 12:17 PM
Mudding
Received 129 Likes on 72 Posts

But the dealerships that sell the extended warranty would protest like mad if that's the case because the dealerships and/or the third party companies that have to pay for the replacement and/or rebuilt would not bare such risks. It's simple economics.
No, they would just increase the price of the warranty until the average cost of repair during the extended period < the cost of the warranty for the same period.

MattF (12-13-2022)
Old 12-13-2022, 12:18 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by WTFChuck
Ditto to that. Manufacturers, especially ones such as Land Rover who have a history making Safari-tough vehicles sold world wide, do not build them to break. Owned a Saab 900 that clocked over 350k miles, and that was without factory recommended scheduled maintenance. Never flushed the gearbox or brake system. Only ever needed brakes, tires or replacement of CV joints, which after the first time, were easy to replace in less than an hour in my driveway.
Are you guys not familiar with LR’s reliability reputation (again, deserved or otherwise)?

Theres a class action lawsuit re: timing chain issues and engine failures on LR vehicles. I’m not a mechanic but my understanding is that timing chain issues are often caused by not changing oil frequently enough…

Last edited by jusmax88; 12-13-2022 at 12:24 PM.
Old 12-13-2022, 12:23 PM
Rock Crawling

No, they would just increase the price of the warranty until the average cost of repair during the extended period < the cost of the warranty for the same period.
But right now the cost of the extended warranty is what it is. Whatever the amount it is that whoever is charging will get into financial ruin when all these motors start failing after 50k miles. The point is they are not charging an absurdly high amount for the extended warranty right now and it's reasonable to think that many people purchased the extended warranty for their LR. It's also reasonable to think that there are many LR owners who don't join forum to read and research on various topics like us, and they simply just follow the manual. So based on that premise, all these LR will fail after 50k.

Old 12-13-2022, 12:28 PM
Rock Crawling

Are you guys not familiar with LR’s reliability reputation (again, deserved or otherwise)?
Certain car models that demonstrated various issues are in no way an indication that such car manufacturers intentionally engineer their cars with planned obsolescence.
​​​​​​it only means such models suffer from poor design and/engineering.

​​​​​​Many Volvo 240 wagon developed a leak from the hatch after years. Does it mean Volvo engineered the hatch in a way that they knew it would likely to develop leak after the warranty because they knew they didn't have to pay for the repair? I think not. It only means that hatch was poorly designed and engineered. There's no conspiracy here.

Old 12-13-2022, 12:30 PM
Mudding

But right now the cost of the extended warranty is what it is. Whatever the amount it is that whoever is charging will get into financial ruin when all these motors start failing after 50k miles. The point is they are not charging an absurdly high amount for the extended warranty right now and it's reasonable to think that many people purchased the extended warranty for their LR. It's also reasonable to think that there are many LR owners who don't join forum to read and research on various topics like us, and they simply just follow the manual. So based on that premise, all these LR will fail after 50k.
To be clear, I don’t think the majority of LRs will fail in the first 7 years, definitely don’t think their QC is that bad.

But the class action lawsuit against LR for timing chain issues (often caused by oil not being changed frequently enough) and engine failures suggests that maybe they aren’t as concerned with this as they should be.

Agreed that the extended warranty price factors in the likely cost of repairs, but as MOST people who buy it probably won’t need many repairs they will do OK. Just as a random example, 70% is the vast majority, but if 30% of the engines failed in the first 7 years I would still consider that very bad, yet those without issues that bought the extended warranty will help offset the cost of the 30% who require new engines.

Also, you assume LR is financially prudent which very well may not be the case and there is a lot of financial evidence that points to this.

To be clear, LR is my favorite brand and I will be picking up my new Defender on Friday, but I will definitely be more diligent about maintenance than I would be on a 4Runner.

Old 12-13-2022, 12:31 PM
Rock Crawling

Theres a class action lawsuit re: timing chain issues and engine failures on LR vehicles. I’m not a mechanic but my understanding is that timing chain issues are often caused by not changing oil frequently enough…
Not true.

​​​​​​Audi/VW also has a timing belt premature failure issue and there was a class action lawsuit too. If I recall correctly, the failure was not due to oil, instead, it was due to a failure on the water pump that subsequently caused the timing belt to fail.

Old 12-13-2022, 12:33 PM
Mudding

Certain car models that demonstrated various issues are in no way an indication that such car manufacturers intentionally engineer their cars with planned obsolescence.
​​​​​​it only means such models suffer from poor design and/engineering.

​​​​​​Many Volvo 240 wagon developed a leak from the hatch after years. Does it mean Volvo engineered the hatch in a way that they knew it would likely to develop leak after the warranty because they knew they didn't have to pay for the repair? I think not. It only means that hatch was poorly designed and engineered. There's no conspiracy here.
Definitely not suggesting they build their engines to fail, just that they build their engines to last hundreds of thousands of miles with either annual oil changes OR with 2 year oil changes and some repairs (timing chains for instance) BUT better emission ratings and customers who are happy to only have to bring their car in for service once during their lease period.

I’m no mechanic, and this is not like fact set in stone, just one man’s opinion based on a lot of research.

Quick Reply: low mileage oil change question