Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR service around greater Boston area

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2022, 02:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 633 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by Yulongtd6
I think people need to take a step back. Do you really think a dealer such as Norwood, who makes most, if not all their money off of service wants to have a 3 month wait? It's clear there is a staffing issue that has hurt their ability to service at volume. It's not that they don't care but there is no getting around the unfortunate reality of todays labor market.
So true...can you imagine being a service advisor there? Just listening to complaints and angry customers all day long.

Old 04-17-2022, 06:16 PM
Mudding
Received 147 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Yulongtd6
I think people need to take a step back. Do you really think a dealer such as Norwood, who makes most, if not all their money off of service wants to have a 3 month wait? It's clear there is a staffing issue that has hurt their ability to service at volume. It's not that they don't care but there is no getting around the unfortunate reality of todays labor market.
I’m sure they are having staffing issues, but I had a convo with one of the sales guys there (thats where i got my defender) and he implied that they laid a bunch of people off in 2020. That tells me they laid people off and now arent offering good enough employment packages to get them back or attract new employees, which imo is definitely the dealer’s fault.

so yes, in a way LR Norwood is making a conscious decision to, instead of offering pay/benefits to attract enough staff they are instead passing the problem to the customers they cant serve.

the ‘unfortunate reality’ you speak of is that employers are having to pay more, which to me is a good thing. Especially for middlemen like car dealers.

Last edited by Mcdooogs; 04-17-2022 at 06:19 PM.
Old 04-17-2022, 10:30 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 41 Likes on 23 Posts

I think one main thing to keep in mind which I haven't seen mentioned here. Many of the parts are on backorder without firm ETA's. And like I mentioned above, the issue on the backlog of 'waiting 3 months for an appointment' was ONLY if you needed a loaner, which most people taking in a LR will likely expect. So I think it's just assumed you will want/need a loaner and that is another main component of the backlog on service. I was able to get an appointment within two weeks of when I called, because I am fortunate to not need a loaner.

That all said, doesn't mean other things aren't also contributing to the long wait, like staffing mentioned above, I just got the sense when hanging out with the guys there that it was mostly a parts issue which then causes a customer to have a loaner for much longer than anticipated, and they can't cycle it back through for new customers.

ne of the service guys mentioned that lots of the parts are made in eastern Europe and the current events out there have impacted the ability to get them. Also joked that some people have had the loaners so long that the loaner cars were then due for service lol.

Old 04-18-2022, 11:35 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,254 Likes on 746 Posts

I think what folks don't realize is that many (if not most) of the consumer & commercial dealerships did steep layoffs of staff in 2019 (due to economy) and 2020 (due to COVID) which set themselves up for a near catastrophic staffing stance when everything exploded in 2021. Almost every dealership is having staffing problems. They can't hire the folks back and most are NOT changing pay because of the problems that's going to cause with existing staff. It is an absolute train wreck. Show me ANY Dealership with 3 mos delays and I'll show you one with a huge problem with bay utilization that is not driven by parts availability but by Service Tech hours.

Old 04-18-2022, 08:44 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Regardless of part shortages, staffing, etc at LR (our issues were well before the war in Ukraine as well) - I will repeat my earlier comments. The complete lack of loaner cars is a problem. Especially when the vehicle is not exactly reliable and needs service. Often.

Last edited by gdyear78; 04-18-2022 at 08:56 PM.
Old 04-19-2022, 08:20 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 698 Likes on 405 Posts

I am camping out on the North Shore presently, for work, and used Peabody for my 21K mile service on my D110 S -- and they are positively working my warranty claim on the A pillar, as described on that thread.

I confirm they would NOT give me a loaner because I did not buy the vehicle there. The excuse they gave is they have few vehicles to sell, much less loan.

I was able to get an appointment within a couple of weeks. They seem plenty busy in the shop.

For my oil changes and other easy stuff, I am still doing it myself.

Enjoy !!

Old 04-20-2022, 09:21 AM
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BulldogDefender
Thanks for the insight. I've been going back to where I purchased my Defender (Land Rover Norwood/Jake Kaplan) and the experience has been pretty underwhelming. Three months to get an appointment with a loaner which is a little concerning since my check engine light has been on (and this was after waiting four months for an appointment and when that day came not only did they not have the loaner they promised but because my check engine light went off that day, they said they couldn't do anything which is frustrating since it's a 30-40 minute drive and then I had to wait another three months). Now, they've had my vehicle for a week and haven't even looked at it. I understand covid, supply chain, limited workforce issues, but the lack of communications, inability to set expectations, and general nonchalance is disappointing. Coming from BMW, BMW is miles ahead in this department. Still, I love my Defender so perhaps that's where they get us.
Day 14: My Defender has still not been looked at - it's just sitting around at LR Norwood. When I call for an update my SA continues to tell me it's in the shop or scheduled to be and that he'll call me back and never does. Last Friday, I mentioned my wife is about to give birth and if possible, I'd like to have this resolved before that happens so I'm not fielding calls about repairs while in the hospital (also it would be nice to take our baby home in our car). My SA said knowing this he will try to expedite and follow up with me. He did not. I called him yesterday (Tuesday) and he was very bothered that I was checking in. And once again, said he thinks my Defender is being looked at and he'll contact me. Today, Wednesday, no update.

Going back to my original post - I understand there are macro factors outside of the dealership's control such as parts and staffing and I have no doubt they would prefer not to be faced with these challenges. While the delays are frustrating, I'm more disappointed in the lack of setting expectations and communication. When I dropped off my Defender it was never once mentioned that it would take 2+ weeks to be evaluated. That seems like important information any customer would want to know and I think it's reasonable to expect a higher level of service from a brand like LR.

Old 04-20-2022, 10:34 AM
Winching
Received 574 Likes on 302 Posts

man I admire your patients - I'd have escalated this to Norwood management and ownership. That's a terrible way to treat a customer.

Matt

The following 2 users liked this post by MattF:
GrouseK9 (04-20-2022), TrioLRowner (04-20-2022)
Old 04-20-2022, 12:08 PM
Mudding
Received 310 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by BulldogDefender
Day 14: My Defender has still not been looked at - it's just sitting around at LR Norwood. When I call for an update my SA continues to tell me it's in the shop or scheduled to be and that he'll call me back and never does. Last Friday, I mentioned my wife is about to give birth and if possible, I'd like to have this resolved before that happens so I'm not fielding calls about repairs while in the hospital (also it would be nice to take our baby home in our car). My SA said knowing this he will try to expedite and follow up with me. He did not. I called him yesterday (Tuesday) and he was very bothered that I was checking in. And once again, said he thinks my Defender is being looked at and he'll contact me. Today, Wednesday, no update.

Going back to my original post - I understand there are macro factors outside of the dealership's control such as parts and staffing and I have no doubt they would prefer not to be faced with these challenges. While the delays are frustrating, I'm more disappointed in the lack of setting expectations and communication. When I dropped off my Defender it was never once mentioned that it would take 2+ weeks to be evaluated. That seems like important information any customer would want to know and I think it's reasonable to expect a higher level of service from a brand like LR.
Have you contacted Land Rover North America?

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (04-20-2022)
Old 04-20-2022, 12:12 PM
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by The Insider
Have you contacted Land Rover North America?
I haven't. Are they generally responsive? I really am trying to give my SA the benefit of the doubt and avoid putting a spotlight on him. Obviously my approach hasn't been effective and it doesn't seem he's exactly looking out for me, his customer.

Quick Reply: LR service around greater Boston area