Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle Hitch Carrier

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2023, 08:18 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ballandchain
I haul my KTM 300 dirt bike using the blackwidow 400 carrier behind my D90. I use an 8" hitch extension to clear the spare and allow me to load and unload by myself with no issues.

hey man I’m going to do the same thing I have a husky 501. Was the 8in hitch extention enough or do your reccomend I go an inch or two more ? Which carrier did you use ?

Old 11-12-2023, 09:06 PM
Mudding
Received 111 Likes on 56 Posts

The wobble free hitch extension from Wilco is pretty good. Much less movement than a standard extension. I use it with a mototote carrier. Bike is a TM 300, so not that heavy but I've never had an issue with this setup. Just did a 1600 mile round trip this weekend for a hard enduro.

https://wilcooffroad.com/products/wo...itch-extension

Old 11-12-2023, 09:08 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by zac431
The wobble free hitch extension from Wilco is pretty good. Much less movement than a standard extension. I use it with a mototote carrier. Bike is a TM 300, so not that heavy but I've never had an issue with this setup. Just did a 1600 mile round trip this weekend for a hard enduro.

https://wilcooffroad.com/products/wo...itch-extension

awesome thanks. Was the 8in extention enough clearance or would you reccomend more or less. I think you could go as much as 12

Old 11-12-2023, 09:49 PM
Mudding
Received 111 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by droc234
awesome thanks. Was the 8in extention enough clearance or would you reccomend more or less. I think you could go as much as 12
It gives me plenty of room. I don't have to lean the bike when rolling it onto the rack. Although that could vary with different racks. The straight extension has two positions for the pin, so there is some adjustability.

Old 03-26-2024, 09:45 AM
1st Gear
Default SMC vs MCC

Hey man,

thanks for sharing this info! Been trying to find a hitch carrier for my Track Yamaha R6 (since I also hate trailers), and was worried about the bit spare in the back!

I had looked into the Black Widow because the dimensions seemed bigger, but I am curious why you choose the SMC (aluminium) vs the MCC (steel)? On the website they say dimensions (and weight) are basically the same and I tend to rely more on steel than aluminium!

thanks!

Old 03-26-2024, 02:42 PM
Drifting
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Rafa Ayoub
Hey man,

thanks for sharing this info! Been trying to find a hitch carrier for my Track Yamaha R6 (since I also hate trailers), and was worried about the bit spare in the back!

I had looked into the Black Widow because the dimensions seemed bigger, but I am curious why you choose the SMC (aluminium) vs the MCC (steel)? On the website they say dimensions (and weight) are basically the same and I tend to rely more on steel than aluminium!

thanks!
I went with aluminum because of the lighter weight (taking on and off) and ages better since it's not painted and won't rust. I'm using it to haul my dirt bike which is under 300lbs wet so strength wasn't a concern.

Old 03-26-2024, 03:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 308 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Rafa Ayoub
Hey man,

thanks!
Got your PM which is what prompted my to log in. I must have stopped watching this thread.

I had to re-read a little of the thread to see if I could remember why I went with the SMC bs the MMC. But aside from the inclusion of aluminum which I like from a durability standpoint I think the answer was in my first post.

I don't see a spec for the distance from hitch pin to center of rail on the website now. Either I'm missing it or it's no longer there. But in that op I reference the SMC having a longer distance which I thought I would need in my application and indeed I do because the Duc just fits. That is assuming there was an a actual difference in distance to hitch pin. If not it really wouldn't matter other than preference.

I haven't had any of our Moto Guzzis on the carrier yet though I'm sure that'll happen someday and I expect they will fit about as well (unknown future clearance problem with the spare tire notwithstanding).

I wouldn't want to use a hitch extension to push it much farther out since it's a lever and I would honestly worry about exceeding hitch limits with say a 500+# bike on that 100# carrier especially further out.

But I'm happy to say we're sub that on wet weights for the entire fleet, though technically the Duc at just about 400# is the lightest.

Last edited by Kev M; 03-26-2024 at 04:02 PM.