2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mounting Accessories on OEM Expedition Roof Rack (e.g Matrax, shovel, etc)

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2021, 05:31 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,299 Likes on 949 Posts

Originally Posted by Juancl
I ordered these from Front Runner and separately ordering t-bolts to replace the bolts that come with to attach them to the expedition rack using the T tracks.

https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.co...nting-kit.html
How did this work out? Did the t-bolts work and did the product span the expedition rack's bars okay? Are you able to mount the tracks running lengthways or did you need to mount across the rack's width?

Looking to do the same.

Cheers

Old 10-12-2021, 06:17 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 140 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by GavinC
How did this work out? Did the t-bolts work and did the product span the expedition rack's bars okay? Are you able to mount the tracks running lengthways or did you need to mount across the rack's width?

Looking to do the same.

Cheers
I ended up going a different much simpler route (see picture), so never installed the front runner brackets and just returned them. I have also attached the MaxTraxx lengthway on the rack a couple times using camstraps. See second picture

Having seen the TReK cars in person I am toying with using this solution (Lucky8 Side Mount), but would need to confirm it works with MaxTraxx, and at $200 the truth is the spare idea with the RokStraps is so simple and cheap that I will probably stick to it.

Last edited by Juancl; 10-12-2021 at 06:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
GavinC (10-12-2021)
Old 10-12-2021, 07:07 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Juancl
I ended up going a different much simpler route (see picture), so never installed the front runner brackets and just returned them. I have also attached the MaxTraxx lengthway on the rack a couple times using camstraps. See second picture

Having seen the TReK cars in person I am toying with using this solution (Lucky8 Side Mount), but would need to confirm it works with MaxTraxx, and at $200 the truth is the spare idea with the RokStraps is so simple and cheap that I will probably stick to it.

That's a much more practical solution for me. Was it difficult to strap the boards down vertically like that? I'm trying to visualize a figure of 8 or something with the Rokstraps.

Thanks for the help.

Old 10-12-2021, 10:54 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by GavinC
That's a much more practical solution for me. Was it difficult to strap the boards down vertically like that? I'm trying to visualize a figure of 8 or something with the Rokstraps.

Thanks for the help.
Happy to help, though full credit to @ADVAW8S who gave me this idea and posted the following video which gives you all the details.

GavinC (10-13-2021)
Old 10-13-2021, 09:38 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by 4Corsa
Looks like that would work nicely. The Defenders that we’re used on the African press expedition all seemed to have tires mounted on the roof rack.
The Defenders in Africa and the rest of the world also had basket style racks that would keep tires, cans, bags, tents from sliding off the side. I've mentioned this before but the flat roof racks on the current Defenders are hideous and useless. They were designed strictly for wind noise reduction and for parking in garages, where 90% of them will be. Some rope and tie downs is all you ever needed. Now, you have to have thirty clamps and bolts to keep everything on top in place. Last thing and I'll shut up, mounting all your gear on the sides of your truck is also a bad idea. Anyone that has been on trail rides or weekend camping trips through trails knows that tree limbs will rip anything on the sides right off. Now, if you are in the open country it would be fine. If you are in narrow trails though, keep everything high up\on the back and off the sides.

Last edited by stillruns; 10-13-2021 at 09:43 AM.
johnsonmc2000 (05-16-2024)
Old 10-13-2021, 10:42 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by stillruns
The Defenders in Africa and the rest of the world also had basket style racks that would keep tires, cans, bags, tents from sliding off the side. I've mentioned this before but the flat roof racks on the current Defenders are hideous and useless. They were designed strictly for wind noise reduction and for parking in garages, where 90% of them will be. Some rope and tie downs is all you ever needed. Now, you have to have thirty clamps and bolts to keep everything on top in place. Last thing and I'll shut up, mounting all your gear on the sides of your truck is also a bad idea. Anyone that has been on trail rides or weekend camping trips through trails knows that tree limbs will rip anything on the sides right off. Now, if you are in the open country it would be fine. If you are in narrow trails though, keep everything high up\on the back and off the sides.

I see where you are coming from, but be mindful the Defenders like the one you picture had a very narrow scope of use. Today’s Defender is a much more versatile vehicle (and caters to a broader market) hence things like noise and wind drag matter (specially considering a large portion of today’s Defender buyers order the rack and ladder and lunch box and will never ever use them, but will definitely complain if the car is noisy ).

Still, you can do a lot with the expedition rack and camstraps (see
), but it’s probably less practical than a basket. Then again, there are other racks in the market that probably better align with the basket concept.

btw I think the comment re the Defenders in Africa referred to the first picture below. I think the second picture is more aligned with your idea of Defenders in Africa.

This is from a JLR Africa expedition as part of the Defender PR campaign

TReK edition. You can certainly put anything on the expedition rack (but yes it requires hardware…)

Last edited by Juancl; 10-13-2021 at 10:53 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Juancl:
Craig_RRS2013 (10-17-2021), GrouseK9 (10-13-2021), paule (05-16-2024)
Old 03-24-2022, 05:18 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 235 Likes on 97 Posts
Default DIY Shovel mount

With about $30 in parts from Amazn, I've put together an "Expedition Roof Rack Shovel Mount" for a small spade from Harbor Freight... Plus with the longer plates, I'm able to mount the shovel a little lower and out of the way from roof-top tent and other stuff...
(Here are the links to parts online:
Metal plates Metal plates
Mounting Hardware Mounting Hardware
QuickFists QuickFists
, https://www.harborfreight.com/27-in-round-nose-mini-shovel-with-d-handle-69826.html,
Neoprene Neoprene
(attached with some 3M double sided adhesive) - a little bending of the metal plates with your garage vise, some stainless steel hardware and attache some rubber pads to prevent scratches)

vs. $108 for this one from Lucky8

Last edited by drcoop; 03-25-2022 at 09:33 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by drcoop:
Dan Hairy (05-07-2022), GrouseK9 (03-27-2022), tr182md (04-15-2023)
Old 03-24-2022, 05:40 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,255 Likes on 747 Posts

Looks great! Absolutely, post links would be very much appreciated.

drcoop (03-25-2022)
Old 03-27-2022, 03:59 PM
Pro Wrench
GrouseK9 (03-27-2022)
Old 05-01-2022, 05:11 PM
Pro Wrench

After a bit of finagling with the bars I managed to fit my Thule box and MaxTrax.

Added a shovel too.

The following 5 users liked this post by GavinC:
drcoop (05-01-2022), GrouseK9 (05-02-2022), MattF (05-02-2022), tr182md (04-15-2023), WMN (05-02-2022)

Quick Reply: Mounting Accessories on OEM Expedition Roof Rack (e.g Matrax, shovel, etc)