Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New defender disappointing

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2021, 04:57 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,394 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by sacharama
I understand that. That depends on how you define “popular opinion” as it applies to both sides. There are a lot of opinions among the “nostalgic purists” who feel and think that the new defender is an atrocity and that it’s nothing like what a defender is “supposed to be” and all those opinions are certainly very popular and common. Hence, “contrarian” applies. Cheers!
I'd say it doesn't really depend on how you define pop opinion; I never said which of the parties is in alignment with popular opinion, because I don't know; I don't follow popular opinion on Land Rovers. But both people can't be contrarians; either there is no popular consensus, in which case neither of them is a contrarian, or there is a consensus, in which case only the person who disagrees with or opposes that view, is the contrarian.

Old 06-03-2021, 04:49 AM
Mudding
Received 144 Likes on 62 Posts

It may sound crazy - but try We Buy Any Car, they’re offering crazy money currently due to the shortage of used cars!

Old 06-03-2021, 08:27 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 212 Likes on 140 Posts

Dear SRT: I understand that the beauty is in the eye of the beholder.... and hate and love (even for cars ) is a personal thing. If you dislike it so much, what would be a price to let it go to a loving home ? I may be interested.... Seriously.

Old 06-04-2021, 01:03 PM
Mudding
Received 78 Likes on 45 Posts

KEV M: A great vehicle for the pine barrens, Wharton, Batsto or anywhere. Spent lots of time in that area chasing the Jersey Devil...LOL

The following users liked this post:
Kev M (06-04-2021)
Old 06-06-2021, 08:49 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead!

Hi all. I’ve never done a forum before.

I bought a loaded defender for my wife for Christmas. She loves it. I do too! Totally

We have had zero issues w anything at all. No software probs. Nada. Just a great fun car!

until today. This morning it’s dead.

wont jump

I put my charger on it. It charges to 100%!

Some light come on when u open doors.

the mirror camera works

but nothing else. Wont start no screens nothing

having it towed back to the dealer Monday morn.

any thoughts?

thanks!

Old 06-06-2021, 09:00 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead!

Hi all. I’ve never done a forum before.

I bought a loaded defender for my wife for Christmas. She loves it. I do too! Totally

We have had zero issues w anything at all. No software probs. Nada. Just a great fun car!

until today. This morning it’s dead.

wont jump

I put my charger on it. It charges to 100%!

Some light come on when u open doors.

the mirror camera works

but nothing else. Wont start no screens nothing

having it towed back to the dealer Monday morn.

any thoughts?

thanks!

Old 06-06-2021, 09:54 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 304 Likes on 171 Posts

Obviously it's under warranty and they'll sort it for you.

The fact that there is limited power to some circuits and the battery seems to charge suggests the issue is a relay or control circuit that is not closing to power large parts of the vehicle or critical systems such as the various control modules.

Without a wiring diagram or basic trouble tree for the Defender I can't even venture a guess. Could be something very simple and silly.

Please report back when you find out.

Old 06-06-2021, 01:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 698 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by Kev M
Obviously it's under warranty and they'll sort it for you.

The fact that there is limited power to some circuits and the battery seems to charge suggests the issue is a relay or control circuit that is not closing to power large parts of the vehicle or critical systems such as the various control modules.

Without a wiring diagram or basic trouble tree for the Defender I can't even venture a guess. Could be something very simple and silly.

Please report back when you find out.
The new generation pf JLR vehicles have many servo motors and computer modules, each of which the vehicle protects by not allowing the system or motor to function if the voltage readings prior to use are below minimums (11.4 to 12.2 Volts depending on system, I recall).

I experienced this very new phenomena on my 2016 Evoque -- also coincidentally on a new, marine electronic diesel stove of about the same year of mfg. Digital components cannot tolerate voltage variation, it seems. Part of our new world.

You have a logic fault in a voltage circuit ... maybe? Or most likely a faulty from the factory AGM main battery -- which would trigger what you descibe.

Kev M (06-06-2021)
Old 09-30-2023, 01:21 PM
Winching
Received 273 Likes on 174 Posts

Well, the O/P disappeared never to return. l would guess that he went back to an old Defender.

The new Defender isn't for everyone. l swapped my old 2005 110 for a new 90 and spent the first few weeks lying awake in the early hours, wondering what l had done.

However l stuck with it and after a few weeks when the dealer who bought my old Defender offered to buy the new one and give me my old one back, l refused.

Now after almost a year l love the new one, it can't really be compared to the old Defender as it's completely different but it's a fabulous vehicle.

Of course now the lneos Grenadier is available it's the ideal replacement for the old Defender, for those who want a similar vehicle but up to date.

Old 09-30-2023, 02:38 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 212 Likes on 109 Posts

I had not seen the OP first time around but it basically seems to boil down to the vehicle is too nice to get dirty...

jusmax88 (10-01-2023)

Quick Reply: New defender disappointing