Sponsored by:

New defender disappointing

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2021, 05:15 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by TrioLRowner
Thank you.

Yes, I figure that I will keep using the vehicle to the degree its superior 4WD system enables and adding suitable Items (like the rock sliders and the winch installed in my custom, servicable fashion), as the aftermarket folks catch up with the new design.

Next it needs some under armor for the fuel tanks. And definitely proper recovery rings in the rear (until then, I will use the tow receiver) Photos to come on what I am doing, until then.

We shall see with experience, in time, the value of the New Defender in all its uses, not just on-road (which I am quite pleased with).

Enjoy all !!
Rumor has it the guys at lucky8 are working on gas tank protectors. Once you remove all the stuff to put the lucky8 sliders on, you’ll see how exposed everything in back is since you remove the main felt boards. Voyager may have some sliders coming that won’t require removing so much stuff, but no telling when they will post it on their site. I would have preferred sliders that did not require so much removal of stuff, and maybe didn’t take 200 lbs off available payload, but they are beefy as hell.

Old 05-20-2021, 05:23 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by TrioLRowner
Thank you.

Yes, I figure that I will keep using the vehicle to the degree its superior 4WD system enables and adding suitable Items (like the rock sliders and the winch installed in my custom, servicable fashion), as the aftermarket folks catch up with the new design.

Next it needs some under armor for the fuel tanks. And definitely proper recovery rings in the rear (until then, I will use the tow receiver) Photos to come on what I am doing, until then.

We shall see with experience, in time, the value of the New Defender in all its uses, not just on-road (which I am quite pleased with).

Enjoy all !!
Rumor has it the guys at lucky8 are working on gas tank protectors. Once you remove all the stuff to put the lucky8 sliders on, you’ll see how exposed everything in back is since you remove the main felt boards. Voyager may have some sliders coming that won’t require removing so much stuff, but no telling when they will post it on their site. I would have preferred sliders that did not require so much removal of stuff, and maybe didn’t take 200 lbs off available payload, but they are beefy as hell.

Old 05-20-2021, 05:25 PM
Rock Crawling

Actually, I see they just put their sliders and ladder up on the site. https://voyagerracks.com/new-defender-voyager-roof-rack

Old 05-20-2021, 05:38 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 433 Likes on 202 Posts

Ugly, primitive ladder. Don't think it is road legal in many states/countries.

Old 05-20-2021, 05:47 PM
Mudding
Received 116 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Defendit..
Ugly, primitive ladder. Don't think it is road legal in many states/countries.
That's what people once said about Old School Defenders at one time!!

Old 05-20-2021, 05:48 PM
Rock Crawling

I’m not crazy about the ladder either, but I do like the classic bar look better than the oem ladder contraption any day. Same for their rack. I love the look of it vs the oem which to me looks like a flying saucer is hovering over the car. If the sliders don’t require removing all the stuff that has to go with the lucky8’s though, they could be a winner. At least a bit cheaper.

Old 05-20-2021, 09:05 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,394 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by sacharama
I think we are talking about the same thing.

OP offered a contrarian opinion on the defender with respect to the notion that the defender is widely believed to be desirable by using your example of “motor trend SUV of the year and etc)

People offered a contrarian opinion on the OP’s assertions/opinions

so when i wrote “contrarian”, i was referring to the responders’ “contrarian” opinions on OP’s assertion/opinions

People are not disagreeing with OP’s actual act of criticizing as you stated we all have different opinions and taste and such. People are disagreeing/challenging the factors that OP presented in supporting his/her/their rationale. That in my opinion is not the same as not accepting and embracing different opinions, instead, that’s basic critical thinking and analysis.

But contrarian doesn’t mean “opposed to what the other guy says.” It means “opposed to popular opinion or to the established way of doing things.”

So two people aren’t both contrarian if they oppose one another. The one who disagrees with most other people’s opinion on the subject is contrarian.

“Bob says you should buy high and sell low if you want to get rich. Ted says you should buy low and sell high.” Only Bob is contrarian, since established investing wisdom says to buy low and sell high.

Cheers!

Old 05-21-2021, 08:13 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 698 Likes on 405 Posts

I love to see more aftermarket options coming available !!

Yes, I reused the aero covers (black felt things) to close up the space left in the my underbody work on the Lucky8 rock slider install. I just posted the photos.

I really like the Lucky8s and after seeing the details of the OEM sill design up close, I am extremely happy to have that nice beefy stainless steel in place.

Old 05-21-2021, 09:51 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Kev M
Well, I'm sure you'll endear yourself by doing it. Hope it was cathartic.

You know what they say about opinions and ******** right?

Honestly, I've never understood the person who comes to an online enthusiasts group for the sole purpose of pissing in someone else's cornflakes.

That's not to say every post needs to be fanboy crap. There's certainly room for legitimate observations and discussions about capability, and limits of such.

Objective stuff is great, since it can give perspective to a subjective opinion by giving it a frame of reference.

Like comparisons and contrasts between similar or dissimilar vehicles will go a long way to avoiding princess and the pea syndrome.

For instance I have no frame of reference for LR vehicles, especially the original Defender, so most of my comparisons are to other SUVs and 4x4s, especially Jeeps.

I'll never be taking our D110 over the wilds of Namibia or the Sahara, and heck living on the east coast it's unlikely I'll ever ask it to try any challenging trails in Utah or Colorado, but when we take it out to the beach house (meaning across the beach and sugar sands) it is the perfect answer to what WE wanted/needed. I don't really care what it is called, I just enjoy the capability, which is on-par with a Wrangler to our needs, just not nearly as rough around the edges (bonus for us).

Anyway, good luck and have fun finding your bliss.
Truth. I don’t understand the comparisons, the arguments from the legacy purists. I’ve had some issues, sure, but in an absolute sense I absolutely love my Defender. To me it’s like riding a Bentley, in all its high-end comfort, but that is more than capable as an off-roader. The informatics are incredible. It is modern. It fits me better than any car I’ve owned thus far.

K

Last edited by A Faceless Man; 05-21-2021 at 09:55 AM.
Old 05-21-2021, 01:18 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 234 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
But contrarian doesn’t mean “opposed to what the other guy says.” It means “opposed to popular opinion or to the established way of doing things.”

So two people aren’t both contrarian if they oppose one another. The one who disagrees with most other people’s opinion on the subject is contrarian.

“Bob says you should buy high and sell low if you want to get rich. Ted says you should buy low and sell high.” Only Bob is contrarian, since established investing wisdom says to buy low and sell high.

Cheers!
I understand that. That depends on how you define “popular opinion” as it applies to both sides. There are a lot of opinions among the “nostalgic purists” who feel and think that the new defender is an atrocity and that it’s nothing like what a defender is “supposed to be” and all those opinions are certainly very popular and common. Hence, “contrarian” applies. Cheers!

Quick Reply: New defender disappointing