2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Lift tire size guide (work in progress)

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2022, 01:59 AM
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm currently running Goodyear AT Adventure 255/60r20 and the ride comfort is just about okay on highways with a few small potholes and bumps. Definitely not as smooth on bumps as a Range Rover with OEM Pirellis on 20" - I worry with the lower profile 275/55r20 that it'll be harsher, anyone notice any difference? Also what's the verdict with that size with no lift? Will it rub on access and normal height?

On another note, I live in the Middle East so my main off road activities entail soft sand dunes (minimal mod and rocks, and no snow) - Would you recommend Duratracs or KO2s for that + ride comfort as a priority?

Old 03-13-2022, 09:46 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,298 Likes on 949 Posts

Originally Posted by ffzz
I'm currently running Goodyear AT Adventure 255/60r20 and the ride comfort is just about okay on highways with a few small potholes and bumps. Definitely not as smooth on bumps as a Range Rover with OEM Pirellis on 20" - I worry with the lower profile 275/55r20 that it'll be harsher, anyone notice any difference? Also what's the verdict with that size with no lift? Will it rub on access and normal height?

On another note, I live in the Middle East so my main off road activities entail soft sand dunes (minimal mod and rocks, and no snow) - Would you recommend Duratracs or KO2s for that + ride comfort as a priority?
Both the tires listed have a near identical sidewall height 255/60 is 6" 275/55 is 5.95" I doubt you or anyone will be able to feel any difference in this `1mm reduction

I currently run 275/55 in Blizzaks and have 255/60 in the OEM A/T Wranglers that came stock.

Below is a useful link for comparing tire sizes.

https://tiresize.com/calculator/

The following users liked this post:
Iceman153 (03-14-2022)
Old 03-15-2022, 06:33 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by JSDefender

Do you have air suspension or coil overs? And did the +25 off set of the Alston Redboure (?) after market wheel, keep the tire further away from the front suspension parts? I was hoping that wheel would let me run a slightly larger, E rated tire. I have air suspension on my D90 400 and I don't know if the suspension parts are similar or not yet. Thanks

Old 03-15-2022, 07:04 PM
Mudding
Received 84 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by GetOutTheWay
Do you have air suspension or coil overs? And did the +25 off set of the Alston Redboure (?) after market wheel, keep the tire further away from the front suspension parts? I was hoping that wheel would let me run a slightly larger, E rated tire. I have air suspension on my D90 400 and I don't know if the suspension parts are similar or not yet. Thanks
Not sure about the OP's specifics, but more positive offset makes things worse. The first location rubbing happens is the front outter edge of the tire with the fender lining. I had some rubbing with 30mm spacers and had to change them for 25mm's to avoid rubbing in access height, I have 275/55/20's on my stock rims.

Last edited by Iceman153; 03-15-2022 at 07:09 PM.
GetOutTheWay (03-17-2022)
Old 03-15-2022, 07:45 PM
4wd Low

Mickey Thompson Baja boss A/T 275/55R20 XL load on stock wheels mounted this past weekend. No rubbing at all in normal height. Haven’t messed around to see any rubbing with access height.
They also make an LT variant (e-load I believe) of this tire in the same size.

pics to come

GetOutTheWay (03-17-2022)
Old 03-17-2022, 05:15 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
So... I see most of the discussion is around 18" fitments, from which I am excluded unless and until I retrofit the L8 brakes.

So just wondering what the prevailing wisdom is regarding 20s? I'd love to go 275/60-20 in the Nitto Ridge Grappler RT. Best case scenario that would work on-road with the minimal articulation required and I could fit a 1 or 1.5 lift for offroad. But there seems to be some ambivalence with respect to whether the 275s fit.

Also, if I could get 33" height without the 275 width that would be even better, but I don't think anybody makes a 265/65-20 or a 255/65-20.

I just want to try some decent tires in 20" and see if they're sufficient for my off-roading needs at present, to save changing brakes, wheels and tires.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I’m fine with wheel spacers if needed; would prefer those to permanently having the lift if that would get sufficient clearance for the 275/60.
What did you end up doing with your D90? I have 3,000 miles on these stock tires and spring is here, time for a change up of tires and wheels now. Was curious what you accomplished with your tire prob. .....
I have a P400 D90 with stock OEM wheels and tires = 255 60 R20's and the wheel is stock at 8.5 20" and +41, and a 1" rod lift.
There is too much "****" in the way of front end suspension parts. I'm scared to order tires....still
Thanks,

Old 03-17-2022, 05:30 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Iceman153
Not sure about the OP's specifics, but more positive offset makes things worse. The first location rubbing happens is the front outter edge of the tire with the fender lining. I had some rubbing with 30mm spacers and had to change them for 25mm's to avoid rubbing in access height, I have 275/55/20's on my stock rims.
I have a P400 D90, air suspension, on OEM 255 60 R20's , with OEM 8.5 x 20 +41 wheels. I did put a 1" rod lift on. (super easy by the way). I have to find wheels to get my tires away from the front end suspension "U thingie". I can pass my finger between it and my tire. That ='s about a 12-15mm play area. I just ordered a set of 265 60 R20 tires. I doubt they will fit on my stock wheels and not rub....so next month I will order the only wheel I've seen fit that's usable for off roading (that is for now anyhow, the other aftermarket wheels all stick out too far with their fancy-ness and will end up scratched to pieces!), the Redbourne Alston. I feel Land Rover really threw in another wrench in having fun with the D90 in using those dumb +41 wheels. AND why not have another hidden access door like an FJ cruiser.....??

Old 03-17-2022, 06:08 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Zilla
Mickey Thompson Baja boss A/T 275/55R20 XL load on stock wheels mounted this past weekend. No rubbing at all in normal height. Haven’t messed around to see any rubbing with access height.
They also make an LT variant (e-load I believe) of this tire in the same size.

pics to come
Lol, I ordered a brand I've never noticed before now, but different reviews were average or above....So I have LT265 60 R20's coming, E rated M/T tires by
Delium -Terra Raiders...I usually always buy Toyo Tires as they have to withstand all the rocky surfaces I use them on. But not wanting to spend an extra $400 on Toyos for now, I will use the $400 towards Redbourne Alston wheels at +25 offsets and new Toyos after the Deliums wear out. (who knows maybe I will like them too) wheels next month. So, I still doubt the Deliums will fit with the OEM wheel and it's +41 offset. I don't get LR for sticking a wheel/tire set so close to suspension parts. (I can barely pass my finger between the OEM set up and the front end air suspension part!!!!!)

Old 03-18-2022, 05:26 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,394 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by GetOutTheWay
What did you end up doing with your D90? I have 3,000 miles on these stock tires and spring is here, time for a change up of tires and wheels now. Was curious what you accomplished with your tire prob. .....
I have a P400 D90 with stock OEM wheels and tires = 255 60 R20's and the wheel is stock at 8.5 20" and +41, and a 1" rod lift.
There is too much "****" in the way of front end suspension parts. I'm scared to order tires....still
Thanks,
Hi, funny you should ask; I didn’t get around to doing anything till yesterday. How many months later?

So here’s my journey. Ordered OEM steelies in black. Replaced rear calipers. Got a set of 1.5” rods. All of this, mind you, was for off-roading trips only; always have planned to run the 20s most of the time. Ordered 275/70-18s (Kenda Klever RT601s — have had good service out of them on a Jeep) because the Johnson LR sticky claims that size will fit with rods. Got them in, got them mounted, not even close. They rub with or without rods, with or without spacers. Sigh.

So I decided (after much subsequent reading and a full day at Asheville in November where I got to learn some of how differently the L663 goes about off-roading than conventional 4x4s) that I’d just go with the stock size and avoid any concerns about rubbing. Kenda doesn’t make a 255, Nitto Ridge Grapplers are back ordered with no date yet, so I went with the Discoverer Rugged Trek, Cooper’s RT tire. Ordered from DiscountTire, as they have a shop not too far from me.

They came in and I had them mounted yesterday. Damned if they don’t rub! In 255/70-18, stock sizing. It’s very minor, only near full lock in Access Height. But they do rub.

Could be related to the 30mm spacers, I don’t know. I’ll check that out later. Spacers are required for the LK8 rear brakes when using the OEM steelies, according to LK8. Wanting to not use spacers if possible, and knowing the steelies fit just fine over the brakes in a static setting, I ground a little bit of the housing down on one of the rears where I thought it might make contact when rotating. But without the ability to rotate the wheel (didn’t want to jack the truck up and put 4 jackstands under it, and even if I did JLR has probably programmed it to sense that and shut down or something ), I couldn’t test if I got enough material off. So I had to mount the spacers before going in yesterday, so I didn’t have to drive home with them rubbing the whole time.

Soooooo… next step, I’ll pull the rear spacers, remount the wheels, see if they do rub on one or both sides, re-grind the left side if needed, get it to where it’s quiet, grind the right rear to match and I should be fine with the OEM wheels without spacers. Of course, it’s possible the front calipers are slightly larger than the P300’s fronts, in which case they might require spacers also, which will require me to grind them a little as well. I’ll check that after I get the rears sorted.

Then I’ll run all 4 without spacers and see if that solves the rubbing at full lock in access height problem. It’s really minor, but I’d like to eliminate it if possible. Since I’m running OEM sizing it feels like I should have a rub-free experience, no?

Last edited by NoGaBiker; 03-18-2022 at 05:28 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by NoGaBiker:
930dreamer (12-20-2022), GavinC (03-18-2022)
Old 03-18-2022, 07:20 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,255 Likes on 747 Posts

Sorry to hear the problems @NoGaBiker ! When you are finally done, you should create your own thread. You have a lot of experience/knowledge that you have made tuition payments on and it would help the Forum/community a LOT. You nailed one thing that I wasn't sure of for the longest time. I kept reading that people had to put spacers in when they went from 20" to 18" and bought Steelies. That was a no go for my personal preferences so I went a different path. NOW I think the problem is not JLR, it's that the swapped calipers force you to do it. I need to start paying more attention asking questions to start isolating that. I'm starting to suspect that I may be on the path of a third wheel site! NOOOooooo. After I have finished what I consider the right/perfect wheelset for me, I'm now having visions of 18" steelies with stock 18" sized tires. My wallet is starting to be suspicious of you...

GavinC (03-18-2022)

Quick Reply: No Lift tire size guide (work in progress)