2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Off-Road tires on Defender 2022

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2021, 11:27 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

I’m planning on adding Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws in 265/60/20 when my defender arrives later this summer. Interestingly enough, they aren’t as wide as other tires of the same size, which is appealing as that might negate the occasional rubbing I’ve heard occurs in that tire size. I’ve been running them on my current rig for a while, no issues in the snow and quiet on the highway. A mechanic told me that the designer of the ko2 went to Falken and designed the wildpeak.https://tiresize.com/tires/Falken/Wi...-265-60R20.htm

Old 06-15-2021, 06:04 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,238 Likes on 737 Posts

Ok, I'm not much of a tire guy. If I wanted to move to the Duratecs (and offload my All-Terrains on ebay to help soften the blow), what size should I get? Right off the door or is there a good size recommended without getting me in warranty trouble? Thanks for any advice.

The following users liked this post:
Ahparke (06-15-2021)
Old 06-15-2021, 11:11 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,156 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by Jolly Rancher
I'm in Seattle. I'd be interested to hear what all-round tires others in PNW end up with. I have a 2020 110 with the Good Year AT Adventure and 5,000 mi on the clock. So far the tires have been great on dry and wet hwy but pretty poor in snow. Looking to get rid of them before next winter. I'm looking for the best year-round tire for this area specifically. I don't do a ton of off-road driving, except dirt forest service roads summer and winter. Don't want to sacrifice too much fuel economy or hwy comfort and definitely want the 3peak rating. Had Toyo Open Country AT2s on previous rig and didn't ever need dedicated snows. They were pretty quiet on the hwy, decent for light off-road and good in snow. Discovery owner friend has BFG KO2s, and loves them, but they don't have a great rating for wet hwy, which is 80-90% of my driving in PNW.

I am not adding Johnson Rods, mainly because vehicle is already too tall for some parking garages even without a rack on top, and it definitely handles better on the hwy at Comfort Mode height. In 275/55/20 I'm looking at General Grabber A/TX, Cooper Discoverer A/T3, BFG A/T KO2, Toyo Open Country A/T3, Pirelli Scorpion A/T Plus.
Good to know about the Wrangler Adventure tyre on snow not being up to snuff.

I'll get some snow boots for sure. I'm up at Snoqualmie or Baker pretty much every weekend Dec through March and even into some of April this year with all the snow we had.

The following 3 users liked this post by GavinC:
GrouseK9 (06-16-2021), Jolly Rancher (09-02-2021), wlindsey@gmail.com (08-05-2021)
Old 08-05-2021, 07:22 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 612 Likes on 366 Posts

Just picked up a second set of 20" Defender wheels for winter tires. I've use Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 SUV winter tires on our LR4's and just ordered a set for the new wheels. Need to go with 275-55-20 size. (Despite Nokian claiming they will make them in 255-60-20 which would be slightly better in deep snow)

The Wranglers aren't very good in the rain as someone noted above. Thankfully they are wearing fast and will be replaced by a set of Falken Wildpeak AT tires.

Old 08-05-2021, 07:49 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 612 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by mammoth
I’m planning on adding Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws in 265/60/20 when my defender arrives later this summer. Interestingly enough, they aren’t as wide as other tires of the same size, which is appealing as that might negate the occasional rubbing I’ve heard occurs in that tire size. I’ve been running them on my current rig for a while, no issues in the snow and quiet on the highway. A mechanic told me that the designer of the ko2 went to Falken and designed the wildpeak.https://tiresize.com/tires/Falken/Wi...-265-60R20.htm
I'm going with the Falken Wildpeak 275/55/20 with the XL load rating. If you go with this size be aware that there are 2 options.

https://tiresize.com/tires/Falken/Wi...-275-55R20.htm

Last edited by PaulLR; 08-05-2021 at 07:52 AM.
Old 08-05-2021, 10:36 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by GavinC
Yeah. That's pretty much what I figured. I'll make do with the factory off road. Should be a good enough tire. Even with the Wrangler Adventure, it should be a reasonable improvement in snow-traction with all the electronic AWD doodads in the Defender over my current 2wd Acura MDX on Blizzaks.

I guess there is no substitute for trying them out on the snowy passes myself before making any judgement. I do view snow tires as win win though, as I'll have the car for 10years at least. Getting a set of winter tires will mean more years out of the Wrangler Adventures to muck about with in addition to the added fun, comfort and safety that a good winter tire offers Dec-Apr.
the GY Adventure tire is not good in the snow/ice. I live in CO and had them for the end of last winter. They were terrible and I’ve already replaced them for this upcoming winter. It’s a heavy truck. No amount of 4WD will help you stop or turn. Your Accura with winter tires will run circles around it.

The following 2 users liked this post by wlindsey@gmail.com:
Eitan (08-06-2022), GavinC (08-05-2021)
Old 08-05-2021, 11:23 AM
Mudding
Received 159 Likes on 95 Posts

What did you go with? I live in the Northeast and travel to VT and QC frequently in the winter. I'd rather start out with a set of winter tires to add to the rotation when the Defender arrives late this year. Ordered the off-road package so it will arrive with the Goodyear Wrangler and then I had planned on switching to the KO2s, wildpeaks, grapplers or something similar when they wore out. Having lived in CO, VT, MN, AK, and NU I know the importance of dedicated snow tires

Old 08-05-2021, 01:06 PM
Three Wheeling

Before the Defender, I ran true winter tires on my RRS. However, i just put KO2 (275/55r20) on the Defender and I want to at least see how they perform. If i'm not happy, I'll buy some true winter tires.

Old 08-05-2021, 01:14 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 697 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by wlindsey@gmail.com
Before the Defender, I ran true winter tires on my RRS. However, i just put KO2 (275/55r20) on the Defender and I want to at least see how they perform. If i'm not happy, I'll buy some true winter tires.
Just curious ... how is the noise on the K02s?

I am down to KO2s or Niitro Ridge Grapplers. Will switch out my Goodyear A/Ts to whichever is more quiet.

Old 08-05-2021, 01:37 PM
Three Wheeling

I didn't notice any difference in noise - but they are brand new and I have a roof rack ... so it's hard to say.

Quick Reply: Off-Road tires on Defender 2022