2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil and filter change video

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2021, 08:08 PM
Winching
Received 607 Likes on 287 Posts

Yes, I agree that the filter should, and will, collect any foreign materials/particles but in my old school training and way of looking at it, I’m thinking that just for the initial change I want to remove any junk that I don’t want circulating in my engine. And I know that there are somewhere around 50 bolts and screws to remove but it’s only one time and I get to familiarize myself with everything else under the gravel pans. And the tube inserted with the vac process only sits in one small location and suctions, there is no pumping going on. Picture a gallon bucket, you put a straw in it and suck up the liquid from where the straw lands in the bucket. Any residue coating the remaining area will stay right there, and not go up the straw. Maybe I’m just being paranoid, but when I’m working on a vehicle or doing any other repairs, such as soldering a copper pipe or wiring an electrical panel I tend to be a perfectionist and make sure everything is done in a precise manner. Such as the solder being drawn in evenly around the fitting, or the conductors in a panel being landed securely and tightened properly. Beats a leak in a wall in the future, or a loose wire arcing and causing a fire. In any case, thanks for your input. I’ll ruminate over this for the next 800 miles until it’s time to tackle the oil change. And enjoy the incredibly engineered Defender in the meantime.

Old 12-05-2021, 08:15 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 633 Likes on 380 Posts

I don't know if the Defender has a different factory fill oil for break-in. Audi used to do that and if you changed the oil too early your engine used more oil than others that waited until 5K miles or so. I wouldn't change the Defender oil at 1000 miles, but the 21K mile change interval seems far too long. I'm going with changes every 7500 miles like I did on my LR4's.

Also, it you have the P400 6-cylinder you need the extractor form OEM tools that holds over 9 quarts of oil. The Mityvac only holds 8 quarts.

Having to remove the skid plate and all it's rusted bolts to change the oil in our LR3 was not fun. Once I did the fast and easy extraction method on our LR4's, I never even considered draining the oil from underneath.

Old 12-05-2021, 08:28 AM
Winching

I definitely like the extraction method, after years of crawling under my vehicles it will be a pleasure to avoid that. My back is getting to the point where it aches for a day or two after a job like that. I’m preparing to mount my new side steps in the next few days and I’ve already got my ice packs waiting.

Old 12-05-2021, 09:51 AM
Mudding
Received 120 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by WTFChuck
Yes, I agree that the filter should, and will, collect any foreign materials/particles but in my old school training and way of looking at it, I’m thinking that just for the initial change I want to remove any junk that I don’t want circulating in my engine. And I know that there are somewhere around 50 bolts and screws to remove but it’s only one time and I get to familiarize myself with everything else under the gravel pans. And the tube inserted with the vac process only sits in one small location and suctions, there is no pumping going on. Picture a gallon bucket, you put a straw in it and suck up the liquid from where the straw lands in the bucket. Any residue coating the remaining area will stay right there, and not go up the straw. Maybe I’m just being paranoid, but when I’m working on a vehicle or doing any other repairs, such as soldering a copper pipe or wiring an electrical panel I tend to be a perfectionist and make sure everything is done in a precise manner. Such as the solder being drawn in evenly around the fitting, or the conductors in a panel being landed securely and tightened properly. Beats a leak in a wall in the future, or a loose wire arcing and causing a fire. In any case, thanks for your input. I’ll ruminate over this for the next 800 miles until it’s time to tackle the oil change. And enjoy the incredibly engineered Defender in the meantime.
The tube may or may not only stay in one place, but the drain hole definitely sits in just one place, so I don't see the advantage. As for pumping, that's how pumps work - by suction, whereby fluid is transported by a pressure gradient. It doesn't matter how the pressure gradient is produced, whether by rotating elements, a piston, or the venturi effect. This is a pump.

Old 12-05-2021, 02:09 PM
Winching

Agreed, that is the definition of a pump. But in all pumps, one side is the pressure side and one is the suction side. The suction side is in the bottom of the oil pan. And we can also agree that the drain hole stays in one place. But once you pull that drain plug, the draining effect of the liquid is such that everything in the oil pan is being pulled by gravity toward the drain opening with enough force to drag any sludge or particles settled in the bottom along with the viscosity of the oil into the vessel you’re using. Just my mental picture, if we could see inside the oil pan as it’s happening. I’ll judge that effectiveness when I do it, and be using the OEM extractor for subsequent oil changes.

Old 12-06-2021, 06:55 AM
WMN
Three Wheeling
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by bobbo28
Just curious if anyone knows the price of an oil service from the dealership?

For those who have done their own oil/filter change, aside from labor, what was the cost of materials?

It sounds like our only two options for oil service is to perform it ourselves or have the dealer do it. From the comments above, I assume taking our trucks to a 3rd party oil change shop is out of the question?
My dealer, JLR Greensboro, quoted $225, using top extraction and Castrol.

Old 01-16-2022, 04:52 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plastic tube stuck in oil dipstick whole

I decided to oil change my 2022 Defender today and only 6.8 quarts of oil came out. I tried pushing the tube in and wiggly it to see if more oil would come out. After awhile I gave up and pull the tube out and it was stuck. It took almost 2 hours to finally get the tube out and I knew it was time to give up with trying to extract more oil. I wonder if it is ok to mix Liqui Moly with Castro oil until my next oil change or I should take it to get an oil change asap? I check the dipstick and the oil is in the middle, but I notice after starting the engine then recheck the dipstick.

QUOTE=WMN;803079]My dealer, JLR Greensboro, quoted $225, using top extraction and Castrol.[/QUOTE]

Old 03-14-2022, 05:14 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,294 Likes on 948 Posts

I read on one of the facetube forums that a bloke did his oil change the traditional route. Not sure which engine model but he stated it was straight forward enough. Just wondering if anyone has gone this route. My skid plate is easy to remove but I've not looked deeper in the bowels of things yet. Coming up on 8k miles in my p400 and thinking a 10k change might be a good idea to keep this beauty happy. I do a bit of off-roading but mostly highway.

The vacuum sure looks handy though.

Old 03-15-2022, 06:52 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,154 Likes on 623 Posts

FYI I had an interim oil change done on my P400 at 10k miles last month. $260. Very happy w that.

Old 03-15-2022, 07:40 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 633 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by GavinC
I read on one of the facetube forums that a bloke did his oil change the traditional route. Not sure which engine model but he stated it was straight forward enough. Just wondering if anyone has gone this route. My skid plate is easy to remove but I've not looked deeper in the bowels of things yet. Coming up on 8k miles in my p400 and thinking a 10k change might be a good idea to keep this beauty happy. I do a bit of off-roading but mostly highway. The vacuum sure looks handy though.
Changing the oil on our LR3 involved removing the heavy skid plate and it's 13 rusted bolts. After using the vacuum method on our LR4's I'm certainly staying with it on the Defender. Fast, easy and clean. Perfect reason to change the oil more often than 21K miles.

The following users liked this post:
GavinC (03-15-2022)

Quick Reply: Oil and filter change video