Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OS 3.0 and Wireless CarPlay / Android Auto rolling out

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2021, 07:56 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,412 Likes on 713 Posts

Originally Posted by patpatriot6
Sounds like this isn't for you, but it also sounds like you don't know what these features do. Lane centering does not remove steering control from the driver.
Right. On other JLR products with lane centering, It requires that your hands are on the wheel. If you take them off, it growls at you and shuts the feature off.

I currently lane-center with my knees in my truck that doesn't have it. Been doing it for 30 years accident free.

Which sounds safer?

Old 11-09-2021, 08:06 AM
Mudding
Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts

Sounds like this isn't for you, but it also sounds like you don't know what these features do. Lane centering does not remove steering control from the driver.
Perhaps there are various different implementations. I looked up "lane centering" and found this, which says that it relieves the driver of the need to steer:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lane_centering

Old 11-09-2021, 08:09 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by _Allegedly
Right. On other JLR products with lane centering, It requires that your hands are on the wheel. If you take them off, it growls at you and shuts the feature off.

I currently lane-center with my knees in my truck that doesn't have it. Been doing it for 30 years accident free.

Which sounds safer?
A third option sounds safer.

Old 11-09-2021, 08:43 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 76 Likes on 33 Posts

I would just like to know what version of the software I actually currently have, lol.

Picked up my Defender 90 at the end of August and on the software update screen it says it's up to date, but for the version it's blank. And has remained blank since I picked it up. No update. I'm not holding my breath that I'll see this update any time soon (if ever) but wireless CarPlay would rule.

Anyone know any way to actually force an update? I know it's connected to both 4G and to my wireless when I'm at home.

Old 11-09-2021, 09:41 AM
Mudding
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Muppetry
Perhaps there are various different implementations. I looked up "lane centering" and found this, which says that it relieves the driver of the need to steer:

There are ISO standards in place for these systems. If you ask me, Tesla can't qualify for L3 rating but skirts the boundary between L2 and L3 in terms of how the market and how they've implemented. You can take your hands off the wheel of a Tesla and just tap it periodically to keep it from disengaging. This is not how the majority of systems from across the automotive spectrum (JLR, Toyota, Audi, Subaru, Honda, Volvo, etc.,) work -- these systems won't tolerate more than a moment with hands off the wheel.... and they're not good enough to operate without active driver input. My experience with these systems is that they make long highway drives easier, particularly late at night with some driver fatigue. The feature request for lane centering keeps the vehicle squarely in L2 land.

If you want geek out:
https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.go...stemreport.pdf

Last edited by patpatriot6; 11-09-2021 at 09:44 AM.
Old 11-09-2021, 10:54 AM
Mudding

There are ISO standards in place for these systems. If you ask me, Tesla can't qualify for L3 rating but skirts the boundary between L2 and L3 in terms of how the market and how they've implemented. You can take your hands off the wheel of a Tesla and just tap it periodically to keep it from disengaging. This is not how the majority of systems from across the automotive spectrum (JLR, Toyota, Audi, Subaru, Honda, Volvo, etc.,) work -- these systems won't tolerate more than a moment with hands off the wheel.... and they're not good enough to operate without active driver input. My experience with these systems is that they make long highway drives easier, particularly late at night with some driver fatigue. The feature request for lane centering keeps the vehicle squarely in L2 land.

If you want geek out:
https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.go...stemreport.pdf
Thanks for the link - very interesting. But this clearly allows L2 automation (speed and steering control) which relieves the driver of the two primary control functions, and the entire analysis is predicated on the driver still being fully engaged. Just because you have your hands on the wheel doesn't guarantee that at all. So we seem to be approaching this from opposite ends of the spectrum - my concern is risk from driver inattention due to no longer having to steer or control speed, not just whether the driver is still holding the wheel.

On the fatigue issue - are you saying that these systems reduce driver fatigue or that they allow you to drive while fatigued?

Old 11-09-2021, 11:49 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 262 Likes on 138 Posts

Five years ago, I was in France and had met a guy who was working on autonomous driving. He stated that the technology is there for L4 driving but the issue is not the cars but people. For L4 to work, you would need all cars to be at L4 to work properly. The variable is the human aspect and to get ppl to L4 experience, we have to spoon-feed the driver. Over time, they will introduce different levels of driving until it is generally accepted. Then as time progresses, ppl will buy new cars that provide L4 as standard. He stated we are a good 20 years before the full adoption of self-driving cars.

Old 11-09-2021, 02:54 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,412 Likes on 713 Posts

Wikipedia... that's not JLR specific. It already exists on several models.

On the fatigue issue - are you saying that these systems reduce driver fatigue or that they allow you to drive while fatigued?
Also already addressed by JLR going back 6
​​years at least.

https://media.jaguar.com/news/2019/1...e-call-drivers

Last edited by _Allegedly; 11-09-2021 at 03:08 PM.
Old 11-09-2021, 05:38 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by _Allegedly
Also already addressed by JLR going back 6
​​years at least.

https://media.jaguar.com/news/2019/1...e-call-drivers
Yes - but again that's a different question. I was asking whether he was saying that the speed control and lane centering allows you to drive while fatigued, or actually prevents or reduces fatigue.

Old 11-09-2021, 06:05 PM
Mudding
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

Yes - but again that's a different question. I was asking whether he was saying that the speed control and lane centering allows you to drive while fatigued, or actually prevents or reduces fatigue.
Since you seem a bit judgy, I’ll go with the latter. Not sure what’s so controversial here… this feature is so common and is considered to enhance safety in the eyes of regulators.

The following users liked this post:
_Allegedly (11-09-2021)

Quick Reply: OS 3.0 and Wireless CarPlay / Android Auto rolling out