Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OS 3.0 and Wireless CarPlay / Android Auto rolling out

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2021, 06:23 PM
Mudding
Received 120 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by patpatriot6
Since you seem a bit judgy, I’ll go with the latter. Not sure what’s so controversial here… this feature is so common and is considered to enhance safety in the eyes of regulators.
This conversation is getting to be really weird. Judgy? I was simply asking a question trying to clarify your comment on fatigue. And in terms of this post - which feature are you referring to - are we discussing steering/speed control or the fatigue detection feature?

The following users liked this post:
Elektrapops (11-30-2021)
Old 11-09-2021, 06:38 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,407 Likes on 710 Posts

Originally Posted by Muppetry
Yes - but again that's a different question. I was asking whether he was saying that the speed control and lane centering allows you to drive while fatigued, or actually prevents or reduces fatigue.
Preventing and recognizing driver fatigue is something that seems to come up a lot with JLR.

They've tested all sorts of biometric sensors to monitor breathing, temperature, and heart rate. They've monitored eye position, hand grip and driver inputs to the wheel and brakes. They have brake pedals that nudge your foot to keep you alert and they've tested effects of interior climate of fatigue. The new-ish noise cancelling feature seems interesting. It's also on the new RR.

It's still coming together almost more so than their efforts at autonomous driving.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.carscoops.com/2020/10/jaguar-land-rovers-active-noise-cancellation-helps-reduce-driver-fatigue/amp/

​​​​​​

Old 11-09-2021, 06:53 PM
Mudding
Received 120 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by _Allegedly
Preventing and recognizing driver fatigue is something that seems to come up a lot with JLR.

They've tested all sorts of biometric sensors to monitor breathing, temperature, and heart rate. They've monitored eye position, hand grip and driver inputs to the wheel and brakes. They have brake pedals that nudge your foot to keep you alert and they've tested effects of interior climate of fatigue. The new-ish noise cancelling feature seems interesting. It's also on the new RR.

It's still coming together almost more so than their efforts at autonomous driving.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.carscoops.com/2020/10/jaguar-land-rovers-active-noise-cancellation-helps-reduce-driver-fatigue/amp/

​​​​​​
At this stage I would guess that investing in driver fatigue prevention and detection is probably a better bet than autonomous driving, in terms of safety benefits, and so I think that's a good approach.

Old 11-09-2021, 08:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 235 Likes on 97 Posts

Would love for this thread to return to its original goal. Please share when your OS 3.0 shows up and your experiences with wireless CarPlay.

The following 12 users liked this post by drcoop:
Awanohi (01-31-2022), Craig_RRS2013 (11-10-2021), dmo1028 (11-10-2021), GrouseK9 (11-10-2021), Iceman153 (11-10-2021), Jackr86 (11-10-2021), Johnnycat (11-12-2021), Kev M (11-10-2021), MattEvan (11-10-2021), Raido (12-07-2021), RanoliRed (11-24-2021), swajames (11-09-2021) and 7 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-09-2021, 08:49 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

I had lane centering that actually worked quite well in my Volvo for several years, and it was a delight to use. Far better and safer than this poor excuse of a technology offered in our Defenders. I never found it lessened my awareness but it did lessen fatigue and made long highway drives far more pleasant. I really miss it. I leave the Defender’s lane assist off because it is so bad to be worthless.
Originally Posted by Muppetry
Given that these vehicles are nowhere close to autonomous, I really worry about the extent to which things like adaptive speed control coupled with this lane centering function, for example, may significantly reduce driver focus on the task of driving. It sounds like a terrible idea to me. I don't even use cruise control because of the inevitable reduction in driver engagement.

Old 11-10-2021, 12:26 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 48 Likes on 19 Posts

I think this car has the best Carplay implementation I've seen so far, especially on the 11" screen. Its big, easy to use, takes up the vast majority of the screen. Simply great. Once they roll out wireless it will be even better. Can't wait!

Old 11-10-2021, 02:02 PM
Mudding
Received 84 Likes on 53 Posts

Very excited for this, I have 2.1.6, just went down to check. While fiddling around I noticed that Spotify was finally added as a native App in PiviPro now! I'm guessing this was added with 2.1.6, as I don't remember seeing that 2 months ago. Not that this will ever be used again once wireless carplay kicks in, but it's still cool they added it.

Old 11-10-2021, 02:03 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

Jealous. I’m stuck at 2.1.3 and no sign of any updates yet.

Old 11-10-2021, 02:06 PM
Drifting
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I just got my car on Saturday and have no clue what version I am on as the update screen isn't reporting anything.. I'm still awaiting my initial OTA I believe. Wish there was a way to request an update

Old 11-10-2021, 02:32 PM
Mudding
Received 84 Likes on 53 Posts

FYI, if you read the initial post and, like me, were wondering about the earlier post he references about receiving updates, here it is :

Hi, I'm from Jaguar Land Rover's global product marketing & planning team. My area of speciality is HMI (human machine interface) plus our Infotainment & Sound Systems.
Given there is so much discussion around vehicle software updates and with a number of key updates coming this year for vehicles equipped with Pivi / Pivi Pro, I thought it would be helpful to provide some further information around this topic. I sat down with our Engineering team to get their advice and input on how it works to share with you.
SOTA (Software-Over-The-Air) technology allows us to update multiple ECUs (Electronic Control Units) within your vehicle, such as Pivi/Pivi Pro, Powertrain, Chassis, Drive Assistance Systems and Charging/Battery Management modules (on applicable vehicles).
There are 3 types of updates:
1. Automatic Updates: Whilst driving, updates are installed in the background with no effect on the usage of your vehicle. It’s installed to a second partition of the corresponding ECU. The ECU has two partitions, one is updated whilst the other is in use. The next time the vehicle starts, the module switches to the newer version and the original is retained as a back-up.
2. Manual Updates: Where the vehicle requests you to click ‘Update now’ or ‘Schedule’, the update will install after locking the vehicle or at the time selected. During the advised installation time, the vehicle cannot be driven. These updates can either be for individual modules or include a pack of updates across multiple modules.
3. Manual Updates with T&Cs: These updates require you to agree to the Terms & Conditions before installation can begin. This could be due to any updates to the original Pivi / Pivi Pro T&Cs. Once agreed, the system will then follow the regular update process.
Every time you drive the vehicle, it checks for updates - assuming you are in an area with network or Wi-Fi coverage. In this case, you do not need to initiate anything from the vehicle.
Automatic updates will automatically download, preinstall and require no pop-up to be accepted. When you next use your vehicle, it will be running on the updated software. You can see the information about the update contents in the software updates menu.
Manual updates will automatically download. Following the download and any preinstallation, you will be presented with a pop-up at ignition off prompting you to update now or schedule. You can go directly to the software updates menu and select update now or schedule from there.
After clicking update now, you can leave and lock the vehicle.
The vehicle will wait 10 minutes before proceeding with the update, to give you time to go back to the vehicle and drive away if you need to (this will stop the update from proceeding).
After 10 minutes has passed, the vehicle will wake up and perform the pre-condition checks to ensure it is okay to proceed with the installation.
The vehicle checks multiple things, including, but not limited to:
Windows closed: To ensure the vehicle is secure - just make sure you have closed all windows fully. Even if the windows look closed, it’s still possible one could be very slightly open and easily missed resulting in the update not able to take place.
Battery charge: There must be sufficient 12V battery charge for the install to succeed, whilst ensuring there’s plenty of charge remaining in the battery to allow the vehicle to be started multiple times. The charge requirement varies by update, depending on how long the install will take. If for example, the update is very large and you have driven multiple short journeys, the update may not proceed. Reattempt the update after you have performed a long journey.
PHEV Vehicle connected to a charger: Currently updates are not supported whilst the vehicle is plugged into a vehicle charger. We hope to remove this restriction in a future update.
Network connection: The vehicle will check the server prior to installation to ensure the update is still valid. This can happen via the vehicle’s internal eSIM or Wi-Fi. If Wi-Fi is selected and connected, it will prioritise Wi-Fi. Therefore, if you have issues, try disabling Wi-Fi as the signal may be insufficient or could be affected by other devices in/around your home. If using the eSIM, is the vehicle parked where there is network connection? If your vehicle is fitted with Pivi Pro and in markets where connected services are included (e.g. real time traffic information) check the signal strength indication for Pivi Pro in the area under the clock on the touchscreen prior to vehicle shutdown. Note: Whilst the telematics module which connects to the cloud for downloading SOTA updates uses a separate connection to the one Pivi Pro uses (in applicable markets), in most cases this can be used as a guide.
Ambient temperature: The update will not proceed in extreme temperatures (-10 and below) due to increased drain on the battery.
OBD (On-Board Diagnostics) check: As the updates are performed across the internal vehicle network, the update cannot proceed if there is something plugged into the OBD port, as this could interact with the vehicles internal network.
Scheduled events: If you have something scheduled like climate pre-conditioning during the time of a SOTA update, the update will not proceed.
Once the install checks have been passed, the vehicle then initiates the installation. If you attempt to start the vehicle at this time (estimated install time is shown on the screen when clicking update now), it will appear to be dead. You can lock and unlock, but if you attempt to start the car, nothing will happen.
When returning to the vehicle, you will see a notification saying either the update did not proceed (this means one of the prechecks did not pass) or that the update has been successful.
It’s also worth noting that not all vehicles receive updates on the same day, we release updates in batches. If you see a fellow group member with the update ahead of you first check all the above and then secondly just continue to drive your vehicle. It should eventually receive the update.
I hope that helps.
For those of you (@Tartan , @hoss_vw) not already on 2.1.6 or 2.1.7, have a check through those conditions, might be something silly holding you back. For reference I got the 2.1.6 update on October 23rd I believe it said.

Last edited by Iceman153; 11-10-2021 at 02:35 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Iceman153:
hoss_vw (11-10-2021), Raido (12-07-2021), WTFChuck (11-11-2021)

Quick Reply: OS 3.0 and Wireless CarPlay / Android Auto rolling out