Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painted Wheel Arch Extension

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2021, 04:14 PM
Overlanding
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Painted Wheel Arch Extension

I have a 2021 Defender X, which has painted trim work. I purchased a set of wheel arch extensions from the dealer with the intention of having them painted to match the rest of the trim work, but I’ve run into a problem. I’ve now been to three paint/body shops (including the dealer’s) and no one will paint these for me. All three shops were skeptical that they could get the texture sanded smooth, and even more skeptical that they could make the paint adhere correctly.

I’ve seen a few sets of painted wheel arch extensions shown from fellow members here. How did you get them painted ? And what did it cost you ?

Old 03-12-2021, 04:47 AM
Mudding
Received 145 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by ncsuguys
I have a 2021 Defender X, which has painted trim work. I purchased a set of wheel arch extensions from the dealer with the intention of having them painted to match the rest of the trim work, but I’ve run into a problem. I’ve now been to three paint/body shops (including the dealer’s) and no one will paint these for me. All three shops were skeptical that they could get the texture sanded smooth, and even more skeptical that they could make the paint adhere correctly.

I’ve seen a few sets of painted wheel arch extensions shown from fellow members here. How did you get them painted ? And what did it cost you ?
I can’t see the issue, as long as they use a flash primer (this fills the texture) and with sanding between primer coats, it would come out smooth. I suspect it’s the intensive labour costs that put them off quoting.

Old 03-12-2021, 11:59 AM
Mudding
Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

I too would like painted wheel mouldings, what would be wrong with painting over them with out doing all the prep? And then clearcoating?
These guys are develpoing some parts:
Land Rover Defender 2020> Startech Front Apron Body Kit - Meduza Design Ltd

Old 03-12-2021, 12:30 PM
Mudding
Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by charlypm
I too would like painted wheel mouldings, what would be wrong with painting over them with out doing all the prep? And then clearcoating?
These guys are develpoing some parts:
Land Rover Defender 2020> Startech Front Apron Body Kit - Meduza Design Ltd
I think it would look utterly crap painting directly over textured plastic and the clear coat would make it even crappier.

I had to replace door mirror cover on my RRS and choked at the price for replacement. Found a cover on ebay that was an unpainted and did the painting myself. I sanded down the textured surface to a smooth finish. I then cleaned it thoroughly with soap and water and used adhesion promoter and epoxy based primer I bought from auto-zone or somewhere. then painted it and added a few thin layers of clear coat. lots of wet sanding in between and then final polishing and it looked good as new. no orange peel and perfect match. As the wheel arch extensions aren't too large an area to spray, I would say you could do it with spray cans like i did. If you have never done this before, go through the whole process on a throw-away piece of plastic. Also look on youtube for painting plastic car parts.