Sponsored by:

Question: Australian light bar wiring

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2022, 06:34 AM
Overlanding
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Question: Australian light bar wiring

Hi Guys,
Oz rules are that you must have the light bar connected to your high beam function and have a switch. Has anyone done an install yet?

I've got a bush ranger night hawk, thinking of using the trigger 4 plus to avoid going through the firewall and have the matrix headlights installed.
I am just not sure what issues I'll face with the wiring.

Q: If the high beams are on and the matrix goes out cos of an incoming will the bar stay on?

With the old cars you would just feed of the high beam cable but this is a bit of a head scratch.
Any help would be great before I start taking things apart.
Thanks!

Old 08-08-2022, 10:29 AM
Mudding
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts

Not an expert, but in researching lights Lazer says a CAN interface is needed to work with matrix headlights. There’s a video on their product page:

https://www.lazerlamps.com/lazer-can-interface.html

Old 08-09-2022, 02:04 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Bjs1234
Not an expert, but in researching lights Lazer says a CAN interface is needed to work with matrix headlights. There’s a video on their product page:

https://www.lazerlamps.com/lazer-can-interface.html
Thanks Mate!

Old 08-09-2022, 09:07 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

I've been researching this and this is what I've got so far. I haven't actually done it yet and this is all my research.

The can system is called CANM8 and is made by NCS systems (ncs-systems.com, can't get the website to load right now...for some reason). I mention this because its A LOT CHEAPER if you buy the pieces directly vs. from laser lamp.

Best bet is to get their connectless reader and attach it to the CANBUS wires going to the OBD2 diagnostic port.

CAN Hi = Yellow&Orange
CAN LO = Yellow&Purple

The CAN wires are twisted together, so you'll have to un-twist them. Then pull 12v+ from the trailer plug (either from the plug itself or tap into the trailer plug add-on harness. You need 12v+ to run the CANM8.

Lastly there is (I think) a grommet under the drivers side sill. Remove the sill and you should see a grommet leading to the bottom of the car. That is your exit from the cab. Run the signal wire forward to your traditional aux light harness. You can get main 12v+ from the underside of the jump post. There are tons of grounds everywhere you can use.

Switches are up to you. Either get a switch pod/mount/whatever or there is a switch blank on the lower dash, I think where the dash dimmer switch is.

If you do get setup, please take photos of your work!!

Old 08-23-2022, 01:13 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by LR Max
I've been researching this and this is what I've got so far. I haven't actually done it yet and this is all my research.

The can system is called CANM8 and is made by NCS systems (ncs-systems.com, can't get the website to load right now...for some reason). I mention this because its A LOT CHEAPER if you buy the pieces directly vs. from laser lamp.

Best bet is to get their connectless reader and attach it to the CANBUS wires going to the OBD2 diagnostic port.

CAN Hi = Yellow&Orange
CAN LO = Yellow&Purple

The CAN wires are twisted together, so you'll have to un-twist them. Then pull 12v+ from the trailer plug (either from the plug itself or tap into the trailer plug add-on harness. You need 12v+ to run the CANM8.

Lastly there is (I think) a grommet under the drivers side sill. Remove the sill and you should see a grommet leading to the bottom of the car. That is your exit from the cab. Run the signal wire forward to your traditional aux light harness. You can get main 12v+ from the underside of the jump post. There are tons of grounds everywhere you can use.

Switches are up to you. Either get a switch pod/mount/whatever or there is a switch blank on the lower dash, I think where the dash dimmer switch is.

If you do get setup, please take photos of your work!!
Thanks @LR Max,
Apologies for the late reply. I was able to get the CAN BUS from CANM8 but have not received it yet. details of the order directly from them is below

Once it comes through i will look into your suggestions re wiring. I am already using the blank for my trailer e-brake.

I'll post pics for sure and thanks for the tips!!!