2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Really don't know how to explain myself

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2021, 07:15 AM
Mudding
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

Agree with @PaulLR and @Tartan -- I think your or another dealer will be thrilled to get this back in stock. I think demand has picked up and supply has constricted a bit due to Covid and the chip shortages (e.g., seeing lots of listings above sticker right now and some major dealers with very little inventory) -- you'll still be out some money but much less if you wait a year. Keep the mileage as low as possible.

Last edited by patpatriot6; 02-23-2021 at 07:17 AM.
The following users liked this post:
TrioLRowner (02-23-2021)
Old 02-23-2021, 05:53 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 231 Likes on 141 Posts

Pretty tough position to be in. This kind of happened to me once but for a whole lot less money. I bought a Rogue Krom edition in 2010 and then decided I wanted a VW diesel Sportwagen instead. I gave the new Rogue to my wife and said sorry dear I want this VW. It worked out in the end, she loved the Rogue, she kept it until it was paid off and then bought another new Rogue. Before I gave it to her I was very briefly shopping the Rogue around to other dealers but not long enough to get an offer. My plan was to tie it in as a trade on a new purchase. That's the best idea I could come up with at the time, Your call on that. If I were you I'd go back to JLR and see if they will work a deal with you on a Velar or F-Pace, Evoque or whatever. There has to be something you like. I mean I've been in my buddies CX5, it doesn't hold a candle to those vehicles IMO. If the issue is remorse about the amount spent, then that's a tougher position to be in, because there isn't much cheap at JLR, an E-Pace with very little in it is about all I can think of, or disco sport. CX5 will have more tech for the money but an E-Pace for example should be a solid notch better in most respects. Whatever the depreciation from the Defender is they will roll it into the new one but if you can get enough of a discount on some model you might wriggle off with an MSRP purchase on paper.

Last edited by Chief65; 02-23-2021 at 06:09 PM.
Old 02-23-2021, 08:16 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey man,
sorry to hear. The Defender does seem like an emotional purchase (or at least for me it seems like it). Funny i was reading someone cross shopping a BMW X5 with a Defender and the defender won out b/c its different and more emotional.

now that you have it, what exactly did you feel let down by? was it not luxury enough? the engine or drive was no good?

Old 02-23-2021, 10:14 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by dogwind
Bucket list. Not impulse.
I appreciate any matter of fact statements and even the sarcasm/derision. Helps to sweat out the toxins.

When my cousin needed a reliable car I sold him my Mazda CX5, and instead of buying a new CX5, because that would be boring, I bought this "too much car"

My wife is on her second Land Rover and that has been great for her. And I've liked her cars, mostly because she does. That makes me feel good.
But now I'm driving one, and it is not the same. Brings me no joy. It's very weird. It seemed like a slam dunk.
Goodly space for hauling dogs/landscape supplies/whatever, spaceship electronic features, able to go on roads in Death Valley(et al) that I've never seen before.
I know I'm stuck with the grand daddy of all depreciating ****boxes. I'll get over it
It'll be interesting to see if this will the worst car decision I've made, or will the Saab 9-5 remain defending champion?
OR will I flip and become an avid owner?
Props for honesty.

Yea, it all depends on who you ask. Did you buy a ****box.., yea likely. Does it stand out from the crowd, yes. Is it special, no. JLR really dropped the ball with the new styling of the Defender (in my opinion). See the Merc G Wagen. Home run. Kept the rugged boxy look that literally every person loves but updated what needed to be updated. JLR should have done the exact same with the 110 and 90. At the end of the day the question is does it make you happy? If not, sell it and get whatever it is your gut is telling you to. If it grows on you, great. And welcome. The Saab SportCombi and Aero were beautiful cars.

Pics of 110?

Last edited by stillruns; 02-23-2021 at 10:18 PM.
Old 02-28-2021, 06:13 AM
Drifting
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dogwind
Bucket list. Not impulse.
I appreciate any matter of fact statements and even the sarcasm/derision. Helps to sweat out the toxins.

When my cousin needed a reliable car I sold him my Mazda CX5, and instead of buying a new CX5, because that would be boring, I bought this "too much car"

My wife is on her second Land Rover and that has been great for her. And I've liked her cars, mostly because she does. That makes me feel good.
But now I'm driving one, and it is not the same. Brings me no joy. It's very weird. It seemed like a slam dunk.
Goodly space for hauling dogs/landscape supplies/whatever, spaceship electronic features, able to go on roads in Death Valley(et al) that I've never seen before.
I know I'm stuck with the grand daddy of all depreciating ****boxes. I'll get over it
It'll be interesting to see if this will the worst car decision I've made, or will the Saab 9-5 remain defending champion?
OR will I flip and become an avid owner?
Every car is technically the “granddaddy of all depreciating **** boxes”.
im confused why you would come on a Defender forum crying about how your “wife gets RR’s” yet you have remorse about buying a $75,000 car.
My BS meter is on a 10 right now

AustralianIdoma (01-19-2022)
Old 02-28-2021, 08:16 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,394 Likes on 688 Posts

I’ve had that feeling one time. As a long time “slightly-used” Porsche buyer, I found myself smitten by the 2015 Carrera GTS and decided to spec one exactly as I wanted and order it. I test drove a Carrera S with the PDK dual clutch automatic transmission twice, over a half-hour each time, and decided I was ready to join the 21st century in my sportscars. I ordered one, waited 8 weeks with bated breath, and swooned when it arrived in all it’s GT-Silver-over-Garnet-Red-Leather glory. For 2 weeks. Then I woke up about 4a.m. One morning and said to myself, “What in God’s name have you done??? There’s no clutch, no shifter demanding you choose your shift points and muscle the car into the gear YOU wish it to be in. No heel-and-toe dance when downshifting for slow corners.” I tried to love her for a year, and she was an excruciating beauty. Alas, I finally just said enough and traded for a 2016 GT4 with 6M transmission. Best decision I ever made.

lightning (06-28-2023)
Old 02-28-2021, 10:03 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
I’ve had that feeling one time. As a long time “slightly-used” Porsche buyer, I found myself smitten by the 2015 Carrera GTS and decided to spec one exactly as I wanted and order it. I test drove a Carrera S with the PDK dual clutch automatic transmission twice, over a half-hour each time, and decided I was ready to join the 21st century in my sportscars. I ordered one, waited 8 weeks with bated breath, and swooned when it arrived in all it’s GT-Silver-over-Garnet-Red-Leather glory. For 2 weeks. Then I woke up about 4a.m. One morning and said to myself, “What in God’s name have you done??? There’s no clutch, no shifter demanding you choose your shift points and muscle the car into the gear YOU wish it to be in. No heel-and-toe dance when downshifting for slow corners.” I tried to love her for a year, and she was an excruciating beauty. Alas, I finally just said enough and traded for a 2016 GT4 with 6M transmission. Best decision I ever made.

I’ll go be poor somewhere else.

Old 03-01-2021, 06:41 PM
Drifting
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I want to thank everyone for their replies. I enjoyed reading your opinions and glimpses of your car stories. I'll lower the BS meter for Kencav now.

The guy who should have bought a Tesla tells his story
In a Bob perfect world I would have purchased an F-150 but I agree with my wife that a pickup truck bed is an unused space most days.

It all started with a trip to Audi to look at a loaner Q8. 68K with 5K miles. OK but...
Let's go to the Jag/LR dealership, we are so familiar with, and look at the I Pace.

There are two kinds of cars. Those I can hop in easily and those that I have to tilt my head/neck/torso to get into, that **** me off (sorry Porsche, Corvette, et al, no dice)
No dice I Pace.

But the 2021 E Pace I could get into. The car I tested was blacked out sweetly, had nice flared muscled fenders, nice acceleration, minimalist cabin I liked, no back seat to speak of, (but kids are adults and the 6' 6" son can't be accommodated in many back seats anyway).

Where it got wonky was when the salesperson said, "we lost track of our inventory because of COVID (what?) and we are sorting it out to move cars and this one is only 43K." I said go. Then my wife came out and said the salesperson was mistaken and the vehicle on their list at 43K was a used 2020 in the showroom. Well that car was standard looks and not appealing. I believe it was a mistake and not a bait and switch but an excellent con is where the victim doesn't know what hit them.

But my elderly cousin needed a car and I went faster than I should have.

I could have walked but turned 60K into 55K purchase price. On the way home I could feel every bump on the freeway (admittedly a bad stretch of road). Felt I had purchased a go kart.

The whole time we were there the debate was also this 70K blacked out Defender 110 SE with no sunroof that a guy ordered and the story was he took from stock because it was taking too long to deliver. Had read enough about leaky sunroofs (that I don't use anyway). But went with E Pace because the Defender was too much of everything.

They gladly took back the E Pace and I up-ed the ante to this car the next day. So that is it in a big nutshell.

BTW I did talk to two sources of this "sell overseas against LR wishes" and they want unregistered cars AND one of them said the mainland China market thinks the Defender "is a bit of a flop" If I had a Mercedes G-whatever those go for higher than sticker -- even used.

What don't I like about it beside the depreciation and repairs to come? (the battery light went on already, and then was not on, when my wife took it in for the front license plate holder). But I have only driven it 100 miles in 3 weeks and god knows how long it was on the lot. They checked the battery - all checked out - no opinion on it.

What I don't like is, so far, between the ears.

1. The plastic manhole covers on the hood are stupid.
2. It looks macho man and too boastful and gas guzzling with one eye, and looks like a hearse with the other eye. My commute is 5 miles so my carbon footprint is overall much less than the typical California commute.
3. They put the unlock button (on the door handle) on the left side of the door handle. WTF? I usually have something in my right hand when I'm grabbing for the door handle! You can call it ergonomic to right handed users but it is not in practicality how I use a door handle 20 times per day. Or every car I've ever owned right? Am I wrong?
4. No autolock when you walk away from the vehicle (CX5 baby!)
5. Rear seat bottoms flip up to allow rear seat backs to go flat for full cargo room. But the rear seat bottoms stick up and you cannot slide cargo all the way forward to the back of the front seats, losing +1 feet when you are trying to make a Home Depot purchase fit. It is also problematic for an air cushion should I want to sleep in there instead of pitching a tent.
6. The tension of waiting for every warning light to come and the air suspension to go ka-fooey.

It's mine. My son and I will explore Deatth Valley back roads later this month, I'm doing my free 4 Wheel drive class with LR + 2 hours, I have been watching Youtube videos of dirt bikers with Go Pros that film every mile of Death Valley roads so I know which ones may be too narrow and tilt me into a rock smash...

AND the Saab 9-5 was a cool car until the head gasket blew at 37K on a 36K warranty. Detroit born, my Dad was GM, my Mom was Ford. We all rolled our eyes at that one!

Thanks guys.

Bob

Old 03-01-2021, 07:07 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

Wow. So not only do you regret buying this car, it’s actually the second car you bought in so many days that you didn’t like. I’ve seen people get caught up in analysis paralysis before purchasing, but you seem to have an extreme case post purchase. You would be perfect for one of those car subscription programs where you can switch out models every week if you want. Also seems like you’re trying awfully hard to do some things that don’t even appeal to you. No idea why, but I suspect there’s a deeper story there.

Old 03-01-2021, 07:28 PM
Drifting
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

[QUOTE=Tartan;763618]Wow. So not only do you regret buying this car, it’s actually the second car you bought in so many days that you didn’t like. I’ve seen people get caught up in analysis paralysis before purchasing, but you seem to have an extreme case post purchase. You would be perfect for one of those car subscription programs where you can switch out models every week if you want. Also seems like you’re trying awfully hard to do some things that don’t even appeal to you. No idea why, but I suspect there’s a deeper story

Last edited by Kencav; 03-01-2021 at 09:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Really don't know how to explain myself