Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear wiper replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2023, 06:50 AM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by nashvegas
I have a 2020 110 X w/ cold climate pack, and the factory original wiper blades, so it's 2 years old & time to change wiper blades. 2 questions:

1) Need to remove the spare tire to change the rear blade (like on my old Discovery 2's which I always found annoying)? I can't figure out how to get the wiper blade off, the service manual shows just pulling it towards the window away from the arm.

2) I'd remembered reading this thread about the wiper blade being "special" to incorporate the squirters, so was expecting that when I went to change. However, when I opened the dealer part box, just a normal rear wiper. Just as I was about to get hot and bothered, I looked at my car, and indeed I have a regular blade with no squirt function, ie standard style squirter separate entirely from the blade. So that's good. (ie I have no tube connected to end of wiper blade and little micro holes in the wiper blade to squirt the water out, like the photo above). I googled this and it's called the Valeo Aquablade, used on Volvos etc. Did Land Rover try this and then abandon it on the Defender ? Or is this something that was added to later Defenders? Doesn't really matter just curious really.

The rear blade replacement is a real pain. The part number changed - and needed an extra part. Wound up having dealer change it and was hit with a large labor charge to change a silly rear wiper blade.

Old 07-30-2023, 07:18 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 682 Likes on 410 Posts

Our 2021 has a regular rear wiper blade with a small fluid nozzle that barely sprays the rear window at all. Our 2023 has the wiper blade with small holes that sprays the washer fluid. Much better design until the blade wears out. Mine became twisted when worn and would spray straight up instead of onto the rear window, Fun to use against tailgaters.

Either way, you need to remove the spare tire to replace the rear wiper blade. I'm going to see if I can use the 2023 version on our 2021 when I put on the winter tires. For this 2023 blade to work on our 2021, the hose plug for the new wiper design would need to fit where the small spraying nozzle is now. I'll report back in December on this unless I get a flat tire before then.

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (07-31-2023)
Old 07-30-2023, 07:45 AM
Mudding
Received 114 Likes on 67 Posts

What a timely thread - we just noticed the rear blade on our 23 110 is shot. Timed obsolescence?

I tried buying a replacement (LR174955) this (Sunday) morning. It seems most of the sellers are dealers and they all use the same retailing software. However two sites would not let me complete the sale because they are currently closed - I guess they are still getting the hang of this interweb thing. Several others would be glad to sell me one but the shipping was as much as the part itself, which retails for $ 24.95. My dealer is about 40 minutes away and I will have to weigh the cost of convenience I suppose.

At any rate it would appear that it is necessary to remove the spare tire to get at the thing. Can anyone verify this?
Thanks

Last edited by Drednot; 07-30-2023 at 07:47 AM.
Old 07-30-2023, 11:47 AM
Mudding
Received 51 Likes on 33 Posts

Not to hijack the thread, sorry…. A little off topic, but does anybody else notice front wiper, driver side does not spray fluid as well as the passenger side? Just got my 23.5 a couple months ago and have noticed this. Is this normal?

Old 08-01-2023, 04:39 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 62 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Drednot
At any rate it would appear that it is necessary to remove the spare tire to get at the thing. Can anyone verify this?
Thanks

It's not necessary to remove the spare tyre to change the rear wiper blade, all you need to do is to put the wipers into their service position
  1. Make sure the vehicle's ignition is switched off.
  2. Switch the vehicle's ignition on and then off again.
  3. Immediately press the wash/wipe control to its lowest position, as if to command a single wipe. Hold this position while switching on the vehicle's ignition again. The wipers move to the service position.
  4. When the new parts have been fitted, switch the vehicle's ignition off. The wipers return to the park position.

The following 6 users liked this post by Dan Hairy:
ba_ (01-13-2024), ficklma1 (08-01-2023), lightning (08-13-2023), nashvegas (07-05-2024), Ratledge (08-01-2023), WAFOX (01-12-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-01-2023, 07:30 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Dan Hairy
It's not necessary to remove the spare tyre to change the rear wiper blade, all you need to do is to put the wipers into their service position
  1. Make sure the vehicle's ignition is switched off.
  2. Switch the vehicle's ignition on and then off again.
  3. Immediately press the wash/wipe control to its lowest position, as if to command a single wipe. Hold this position while switching on the vehicle's ignition again. The wipers move to the service position.
  4. When the new parts have been fitted, switch the vehicle's ignition off. The wipers return to the park position.
Thanks Dan! I tried doing that with the start button as one used to do back in the day with the good old fashioned ignition key, but I did not know the sequence.

ficklma1 (08-01-2023)
Old 08-12-2023, 02:18 PM
Mudding

To follow-up on this thread, I ordered new wiper blades, front and rear, from Jaguar Land rover of Virginia Beach who sell on-line. I ordered them on August 9 and they arrived today. Grand total for all three plus shipping came to just under $100. Not bad.

I tried to buy just the rear wiper from my dealer, Land Rover of Solon Ohio and the parts guy said it would take 2 to 3 days to order it in and cost $80. WTF?? I pointed out to him that on-line LR dealers were selling the same thing for under $25 and he just grunted "thats the way it is" - no thanks, pal.

I tried the service position routine, which is also found in the owners manual as well. I tried several times but the wipers would never stay parked in the “service position”. I found that using the winter park function will raise the front wipers nicely for access but does nothing for the rear wiper. In the end I just removed the spare tire which was not a big deal, just heavy. Probably a good idea to ensure that the lug nuts aren’t frozen anyway.

Below are some pictures. You need to both lift the arm clear of the glass and also lift the housing at the end of the wiper arm to expose the hose connection. The wiper unclips from the arm and then you gently prise the fitting on the end of the hose (it comes with the new wiper) to expose the water nozzle below. Push the new hose fitting firmly onto the nozzle and route the hose under the arm where it fits neatly into the housing, then clip the new wiper blade to the pin at the end of the arm. And done. I am not sure that you could even do all that with the spare tire in place anyways.

The following 4 users liked this post by Drednot:
bowhun2r (08-17-2023), PaulLR (08-13-2023), SpyHop (04-22-2024), WAFOX (08-12-2023)
Old 08-12-2023, 02:22 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,253 Likes on 672 Posts

Seeing this, I'm glad my 2020 has the older style wiper that doesn't include the aqua blade and has a standard squirter on the wiper arm. I was able to change mine in the dealer parking lot in 20 seconds, without removing the spare.

gurka01 (08-12-2023)
Old 08-13-2023, 07:06 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 682 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by nashvegas
Seeing this, I'm glad my 2020 has the older style wiper that doesn't include the aqua blade and has a standard squirter on the wiper arm. I was able to change mine in the dealer parking lot in 20 seconds, without removing the spare.
True, but the aqua blade on our 2023 works so much better than the regular wiper/squirter on our 2021, especially in winter when road salt builds up on the tailgate window. I'm going to see if I can plug in the aqua blade hose on our 2021 where the squirter is now.

Old 01-12-2024, 07:55 PM
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is the rear wiper from the dealer. Removed the spare tire to replace. Now that I know what I’m doing I could probably figure out how to replace without removing the spare. It has the hose attached to it for the sprayer