Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recover Eyes

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2019, 03:03 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by andries
On the front the recovery point is similar to the D5, right in the center but a little low and tucked in. At least not covered by a valence, so ready to go. I highlighted it on the picture.

On the rear it probably has the same crossbar that attaches to the chassis (similar to D5) behind the bumper area. The crossbar can have a tow receiver with the recovery point on it, or has a valence you will need to remove to get to the recovery point. Highly recommend to get these at order time, if you can order with the recovery points and/or tow hitch, as they get messy to add later. Haven't seen good rear pictures to see if the stock recovery point is hidden or not.
Not sure if that's a recovery point or the winch but that location will certainly be reinforced either way.

Last edited by hsarch; 10-27-2019 at 03:10 PM.
Old 10-25-2019, 05:06 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by andries
On the front the recovery point is similar to the D5, right in the center but a little low and tucked in. At least not covered by a valence, so ready to go. I highlighted it on the picture.

On the rear it probably has the same crossbar that attaches to the chassis (similar to D5) behind the bumper area. The crossbar can have a tow receiver with the recovery point on it, or has a valence you will need to remove to get to the recovery point. Highly recommend to get these at order time, if you can order with the recovery points and/or tow hitch, as they get messy to add later. Haven't seen good rear pictures to see if the stock recovery point is hidden or not.
You were correct:

That's probably the front recovery point as the winch will be mounted higher:

Last edited by hsarch; 10-27-2019 at 06:55 PM.
Old 10-26-2019, 01:18 PM
Drifting

I assume this will be an available option on other models along with the rear recovery eyes:

Front Recovery Point

Old 10-27-2019, 07:02 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 715 Likes on 601 Posts

The front recovery point is there on any model. If you order the 5mm front skid plate, it looks as above. Otherwise its like some other Discovery models were it is hidden behind a plastic valence that must be removed to expose it. And I am pretty sure the rears are there on any vehicle with orange colored ones just being an option with the X package. While these are proto pics, both show a recovery point on just one side which *might* imply that they are not permanently fixed past the bumper cover. I say this because in another pic the anchor point appears to be tucked in. This might mean they sit behind a small cover and are pulled out as needed.

Last edited by DakotaTravler; 10-27-2019 at 07:22 AM.
Old 10-27-2019, 07:21 AM
Camel Trophy

And I will add these bits of info:

As they are on many modern Land Rovers, recovery points are hidden behind styling fascias, requiring their removal to access them. Engineers headed for the mud of Eastnor Castle in England – a famous Land Rover test facility – to test the recovery points of the new Defender. With the aim of getting the car bogged, the head of the accessories program, Sean Henstridge, then instructed his team to remove the quarter turn fixings attaching the plastic fascias to then expose the recovery points. It took five hours to recover the car, prompting the development of an accessory front cover that leaves the lashing points exposed.

The press release general to the 2020 does not say the rear are specific to any one model:

The Defender is truly capable of great things and the front and rear recovery points can withstand up to 10 and nine tons of pull respectively.

So again I want to assume the rears are there in some way but the X comes with ones that are maybe larger, looks nicer (better finish, painted orange like the calipers) and are essentially permanently exposed outside the rear bumper cover.

Old 10-27-2019, 09:43 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
And I will add these bits of info:

As they are on many modern Land Rovers, recovery points are hidden behind styling fascias, requiring their removal to access them. Engineers headed for the mud of Eastnor Castle in England – a famous Land Rover test facility – to test the recovery points of the new Defender. With the aim of getting the car bogged, the head of the accessories program, Sean Henstridge, then instructed his team to remove the quarter turn fixings attaching the plastic fascias to then expose the recovery points. It took five hours to recover the car, prompting the development of an accessory front cover that leaves the lashing points exposed.

The press release general to the 2020 does not say the rear are specific to any one model:

The Defender is truly capable of great things and the front and rear recovery points can withstand up to 10 and nine tons of pull respectively.

So again I want to assume the rears are there in some way but the X comes with ones that are maybe larger, looks nicer (better finish, painted orange like the calipers) and are essentially permanently exposed outside the rear bumper cover.
That is great to hear. Where did you find that info?

I see now that the front undershield which exposes the front recovery point was added as an option to the Model X configurator that hadn’t been an option previously. This gives some hope that perhaps we’ll see the front undershield and exposed rear recovery points listed as options for the full range of models. Anyone that will use the Defender off road, even rarely, will want exposed recovery points for easy access should they be needed. Why take five hours taking off parts to get pulled out when it can take 5 minutes.

This info would also indicate that the recovery eyes can be purchased as parts and installed after delivery if not made available for other models from the factory.

The promotional videos all show many other models in the range with the undershield and exposed recovery point.

Last edited by hsarch; 10-27-2019 at 09:45 AM.
Old 10-27-2019, 09:47 AM
Camel Trophy

Well I dont think it took five hours to get the plate off, its just quarter turn plastic screws like on the LR3. I just think that during the recovery it was an issue brought up that they decided to address. I am sure in short order there will also be aftermarket plates one get install, like on the LR3/4, that expose the front recovery point.

I found all this simply searching Google.

I wish these images showed the rear bumper, but its not even installed for some season. The front, however, you can see the clearly integrated recovery point.

Old 10-27-2019, 09:51 AM
Drifting

I would guess the rear bumper cover is easily removed and the rear recovery eyes can be bolted on but why the need to do that is the question if you want an off road setup from the factory. Does anyone have a source at Land Rover that can answer these questions? I called customer service requesting a technical adviser but only could get someone looking up the currently posted configurations.

Last edited by hsarch; 10-27-2019 at 09:54 AM.
Old 10-27-2019, 09:56 AM
Camel Trophy

Well even in your images the bumper itself is missing. Again, odd. I tend to agree that is mades no sense for any Rover, especially a defender, to not come stock with some sorta rear recovery point. I guess until a test vehicle goes over this exact question we will not know. I still tend to think there are two designs in play for rear recovery, something "stock" and something with the orange recovery eyes that are always sticking out of the cover.

Old 10-27-2019, 09:57 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
Well I dont think it took five hours to get the plate off, its just quarter turn plastic screws like on the LR3. I just think that during the recovery it was an issue brought up that they decided to address. I am sure in short order there will also be aftermarket plates one get install, like on the LR3/4, that expose the front recovery point.

I found all this simply searching Google.

I wish these images showed the rear bumper, but its not even installed for some season. The front, however, you can see the clearly integrated recovery point.
Great image that clearly shows the front recovery point. I could not find one of it.

Thanks again,

Last edited by hsarch; 10-28-2019 at 05:23 AM.

Quick Reply: Recover Eyes