Sponsored by:

Roof Rack Guidance on Mounting an Awning

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2022, 11:45 AM
Mudding
Received 176 Likes on 115 Posts
Default Roof Rack Guidance on Mounting an Awning

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for some guidance on how to properly mount a Bush Company 270 Awning to a new Defender. I have a 130 on order which should be here in early December. My primary off roading use will be beach days where I'll set up the awning for the day, so relatively pedestrian at the moment. I don't have any serious overlanding plans in the near future and will reasses what I have when that time comes.

I've been going back and forth on the type of rack and, at least at this point, I think I can get by with a Front Runner Load Bar to attach the awning to the vehicle. The Bush Company awning weighs 61.2 lbs (27.8Kg) and other than shell to store some luggage or beach stuff, I won't be putting much up there other than that. I don't have much experience mounting something to a roof so I'm looking to your guidance on whether this works or I'm missing something.

Is that too much weight one side for a load bar? Are there better options I am missing?

Thanks!

Old 08-26-2022, 12:57 PM
Drifting
Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

It won't necessarily be too much weight for a rack or load bar per se, but you will need some beefy brackets to support that amount of weight hanging off the side. I'm working through this right now with an Alu-cab shadow 270 awning. You'll really want to look for a bracket that you can mount to either the factory rack or an aftermarket rack if you go that route. Lucky8 is working on what looks to be a very strong awning mount for the factory rack. Personally, I'm switching the factory rack for a Front Runner as the Alu-cab bracket will easily support the awning. I'm not sure if Bush Company or someone else makes a bracket for either rack. If not, you could always have something custom fabricated.

The following users liked this post:
EasternShoreDefender (08-27-2022)
Old 08-26-2022, 01:08 PM
Mudding
Received 176 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by 2thebrim
It won't necessarily be too much weight for a rack or load bar per se, but you will need some beefy brackets to support that amount of weight hanging off the side. I'm working through this right now with an Alu-cab shadow 270 awning. You'll really want to look for a bracket that you can mount to either the factory rack or an aftermarket rack if you go that route. Lucky8 is working on what looks to be a very strong awning mount for the factory rack. Personally, I'm switching the factory rack for a Front Runner as the Alu-cab bracket will easily support the awning. I'm not sure if Bush Company or someone else makes a bracket for either rack. If not, you could always have something custom fabricated.
Thanks for the feedback. It comes with 2 "heavy duty L brackets" (pictured) and I haven't seen anyone complain about them so I expect them to be strong enough. You don't see an issue with the cross bars supporting that weight to one side and nothing else on the cross bars?

Old 08-27-2022, 08:42 AM
Mudding
Received 143 Likes on 62 Posts

As I already have the factory Explorer roof rack, I was unsure as to the tenacity of the t-slots so I fitted the Powerful UK rack mounts. They’re solid and I’ve fitted my quick release ARB awning brackets to those and have no issues or movement at all, even with the green laning I do.

The following users liked this post:
EasternShoreDefender (08-27-2022)