2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roof Rails on V8 Model Defenders?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2021, 04:04 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roof Rails on V8 Model Defenders?

Anyone know why Land Rover wouldn't be offering roof rails on the Defender 90 or 110 if ordered as a V8 model? I cannot imagine the roof is any different. Could the rails be added after the fact? A source to purchase these? The dealer was not helpful. To be clear, wondering about the rails, not the racks. Planning to a 90 V8 in the next couple weeks, this is just frustrating us!

Thanks!

Old 03-15-2022, 04:57 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by machspeed
Anyone know why Land Rover wouldn't be offering roof rails on the Defender 90 or 110 if ordered as a V8 model? I cannot imagine the roof is any different. Could the rails be added after the fact? A source to purchase these? The dealer was not helpful. To be clear, wondering about the rails, not the racks. Planning to a 90 V8 in the next couple weeks, this is just frustrating us!

Thanks!
Did you find out if the roof rails can physically be attached to the V8? Mine arrives Friday, so will know soon....

Old 03-20-2023, 10:33 PM
Drifting
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by machspeed

Thanks!
I don't know why, but I have looked at a lot of accessories and for some reason every accessory that would put any load on the roof says it's not compatible. You can see this if you browse the accessories on the LR site - they all say not compatible with V8.

Not sure why that is, or if it's specific to the roof itself or just a general hauling weight limit and it's a way they are trying to lower it. I know there's limits around the weight the air suspension can support so even though I can tow 8000 pounds it's very difficult to tow a where close to that with the weight that gets put on the rear suspension. I assume the V8 weighs more.

Regardless I would suggest not putting anything on the roof of the V8 - a company usually doesn't want to not sell you accessories so there's gotta be a good reason for it.

The following users liked this post:
curb-optional (04-19-2024)
Old 03-21-2023, 09:55 PM
3rd Gear

Look online I just got my V8 110 and installed the roof rails, no issues at all. Your dealer may not want to sell them so you may need to look around.

Old 05-01-2023, 11:07 AM
Drifting
Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Pdm.ao2
Look online I just got my V8 110 and installed the roof rails, no issues at all. Your dealer may not want to sell them so you may need to look around.
OEM or Aftermarket? If the latter, which did you go with?

Old 05-01-2023, 11:35 AM
3rd Gear

OEM rails, just make sure that you install the rack with the proper manufacturing suggested torque settings and you will also need a security five star tool to remove the existing bolts. The insulation is simple.

Old 05-07-2023, 05:46 PM
1st Gear
Default 2023 Defender 110 V8

Originally Posted by jimshadow
OEM or Aftermarket? If the latter, which did you go with?
Would you be kind enough to tell me what mfg you purchased your roof rack from and share with us a few pics. I have looked everywhere for a rack for my 110 V8 that i just got. I need one that works badly.
Thank you for sharing.

Old 05-07-2023, 08:11 PM
3rd Gear

Hi, I initially ordered the OEM version, after seeing it and installing it on my roof, I did not like it nor did it meet my needs. Then I say the BA one (Badass Tents company) they have one with single bar int he front and 3 bars in the back (https://badasstents.com/product/2020...ts-90-110-130/) it is pretty sweet but I need more to install an Awning, and other accessories (Paddle boards, Tent, Skis etc. it looks good but worried not enough possibilities. I called them up the said I could return if I did not like but it is a ton of work. Right now I am looking at the Slimline II, and Thule can out with a new rack that looks great but have not been able to source. I have to make a decision this week as I need one badly. I will let you know what I will get.

Old 04-19-2024, 01:37 PM
Mudding
Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by DDavidson
Would you be kind enough to tell me what mfg you purchased your roof rack from and share with us a few pics. I have looked everywhere for a rack for my 110 V8 that i just got. I need one that works badly.
Thank you for sharing.
Sorry to hear about roof rack problems. I too load a roof, and wouldn't buy a V8 for that (plus about $10k more reasons). I think if JLR wanted you to have a V8 and load a roof, it could do so. The G Wagon has wider tires, and maybe that helps with stability?? JLR could spend more time on the wheel, rim, wheel arch configurations and likely provide buyers a few more use options later on. Instead we get 3 different V8 engines, but none of them were designed for roof loaders??

Old 04-26-2024, 07:26 PM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Static weight

I find it interesting that the static load weight for the p400 and p525 are the same at approx 661 lbs. what makes the dynamic load on the v8s drop to 0? If the roof can support the weight at a standstill then the V8s are built the same. It must be a power or an acceleration issue ? Any insight?

Quick Reply: Roof Rails on V8 Model Defenders?