2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Satin Finish how to Clean? Car wash safe?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2021, 04:15 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 261 Likes on 138 Posts

One thing that you should keep in mind is the soap you use on the wrap. Many times wraps have a special wrap soap that is less abrasive than traditional soap. You will find that wraps will last much longer if you give a little extra TLC.

Old 02-04-2021, 12:11 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

In addition to avoiding automatic car washes, make sure to never use an abrasive or cleaner wax as it could polish the satin finish into a glaze which will be uneven and destroy the look.

Old 03-01-2021, 10:12 PM
7th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Car007
I have a new to me 2020 First Edition with the factory satin wrap on it. In reading the manual it only recommends hand washing the vehicle. The wrap is supposed to increase the protection of the paint off road, etc. So can I safely take it through a brush or brushless car wash? The idea of having to always hand wash is not very appealing to me. Thank you for any insight.
Satin finish is just Xpel PPF. You can run it through the car wash or anything else. Bird poop is about the only thing you want to remove quickly. Ceramic coat over the PPF will help with that and water spots.

Old 03-02-2021, 01:40 PM
Rock Crawling

There’s a risk with high pressure automatic washes that the water jet will get under an edge of ppf and peel it back a bit. Probably low risk, but I’m sure it could happen or they wouldn’t warn you about it. Aside from that, touchpess jet washes are usually the worst because they rely on some very strong detergents to try and get the dirt off without touching, and the dirt in recirculated water can be terrible. You will almost certainly get swirls and a crappy looking finish when using these. If your car is black just forget it. If you can’t wash it yourself, much better to find a local detailed who can wash by hand or go to a self wash place and be very careful with the power wash wand and use your own wash mitts and towels.

Old 03-02-2021, 04:17 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

You want to keep high pressure water spray away from the seams of the PPF, other than that its all good.

Old 03-02-2021, 04:22 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Tartan
There’s a risk with high pressure automatic washes that the water jet will get under an edge of ppf and peel it back a bit. Probably low risk, but I’m sure it could happen or they wouldn’t warn you about it. Aside from that, touchpess jet washes are usually the worst because they rely on some very strong detergents to try and get the dirt off without touching, and the dirt in recirculated water can be terrible. You will almost certainly get swirls and a crappy looking finish when using these. If your car is black just forget it. If you can’t wash it yourself, much better to find a local detailed who can wash by hand or go to a self wash place and be very careful with the power wash wand and use your own wash mitts and towels.
Swirls on Satin Xpel PPF? Isn’t the whole point of satin to avoid that? I’ve had satin on several cars and also my Defender. No problems with lifting at the joints and no swirls if you use a good quality PPF. Highly recommend and looks great. Also talking clear bra PPF not a wrap. There’s a big difference.

Old 03-02-2021, 04:30 PM
Rock Crawling

PPF is still clear cost on top and can eventually get swirls and look crappy just like any finish.

Old 03-02-2021, 04:34 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Tartan
PPF is still clear cost on top and can eventually get swirls and look crappy just like any finish.
XPEL and Suntek Satin are not clear. Use 11m vs 7m. Had these for years on my cars, specifically to avoid swirls. Speaking from experience not opinion here.

Old 03-02-2021, 09:14 PM
Rock Crawling

Xpel absolutely has a clear coat as the top layer. It is mostly self healing and will not show swirls as easily as paint, that’s very true. But bigger scratches that go through the films clear coat will not self repair. Sloppy cleaning can trash a good ppf over time just as with any clear coat. May take longer, that’s all. https://diamondautobodyreno.com/xpel...otection-film/