Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat clicking noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2021, 02:58 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 253 Likes on 155 Posts
Default Seat clicking noise

Does anyone else have a clicking sound coming from their driver's-side seat? This has been steadily driving me up a wall over the past month. It didn't happen over the first month of ownership. It's somewhat intermittent. It doesn't happen every time I tap the break or hit the gas but maybe a third of the time, which is obviously a lot during stop and go traffic. I've looked around with a flashlight underneath the seat and what not, I can't pinpoint where this is coming from. It kind of sounds like the seat track rail on the driver's door-side but it could also be the hinge area where the seat back meets the base. Sounds like a plastic click or maybe somewhat like the seat is repeatedly setting itself into the track. Strange. It's much more annoying than my a-pillar noise. I may have to bring it in soon unless I can figure this out. These are the 12-way semi-automatic seats by the way. If you have the full electric seats maybe you're not at risk for this one.

Last edited by Chief65; 09-14-2021 at 03:02 PM.
Old 09-14-2021, 04:38 PM
Mudding
Received 78 Likes on 38 Posts

I also have the 12-way power seats and just received a recall notice from JLR related to fixing/replacing the seat tracks on my D90. Apparently no accidents involved at this time, but concern is that the seat may change position in event of crash. Anyway, not saying it's related to your issue but you may want to check into this.

The following users liked this post:
Chief65 (09-14-2021)
Old 09-14-2021, 05:56 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by JMF20
I also have the 12-way power seats and just received a recall notice from JLR related to fixing/replacing the seat tracks on my D90. Apparently no accidents involved at this time, but concern is that the seat may change position in event of crash. Anyway, not saying it's related to your issue but you may want to check into this.
Thanks for the info. I will definitely look into that. Are the recall notices something you have to opt in for somehow? I received a 10% coupon wrapped around my roadside assist card or whatever that was with the VIN on it. I haven't received anything else snail mail-wise.

Edit: I see it here https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/202...1V499-3899.PDF , my VIN seems to be close to within range but I have a 2022 MY with SALEJ6RX3. I wonder about the memo, I mean weren't they building 2022 by April 2021? I would think so. I took delivery in July. Another hmm, though I ordered partial fabric I took delivery of the full leather seats, not sure if those were swapped in maybe from 2021 MY? If a change was indeed made to the rails by 2022. I dunno. Something to think about. I definitely seem to have an issue along those lines.

Last edited by Chief65; 09-14-2021 at 06:10 PM.
Old 09-14-2021, 06:22 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

I was driving mine and hearing a click, click, click. I narrowed it down to when I was turning left or right. On a whim, when I was getting into it I shook the roof rack. Eureka! One of the "pillars" was loosely attached to the rack and the rectangular threaded block that held them down was VERY loose. Lucky it didn't come completely off and lose it. Took a 6mm hex/allen key and tightened it right up. No more noise.

So, try other spots that you don't think is where the noise is coming from. Like check the roof rack.

Good luck!!

Chief65 (09-14-2021)
Old 09-14-2021, 07:12 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
I was driving mine and hearing a click, click, click. I narrowed it down to when I was turning left or right. On a whim, when I was getting into it I shook the roof rack. Eureka! One of the "pillars" was loosely attached to the rack and the rectangular threaded block that held them down was VERY loose. Lucky it didn't come completely off and lose it. Took a 6mm hex/allen key and tightened it right up. No more noise.

So, try other spots that you don't think is where the noise is coming from. Like check the roof rack.

Good luck!!
Thanks I don't have the roof rack but I emailed my sales guy with the recall notice to kind of get things underway, I'll probably have to bring it in and grab a loaner. I hate the thought of having to bring it in already but I don't see this clearing up on its own. Even if it's not technically under this particular recall (though I kind of suspect it is even if they don't admit it) either way it should still be diagnosed and fixed under warranty.

Last edited by Chief65; 09-14-2021 at 07:14 PM.
Old 09-14-2021, 08:14 PM
Drifting
Received 49 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Chief65
Does anyone else have a clicking sound coming from their driver's-side seat? This has been steadily driving me up a wall over the past month. It didn't happen over the first month of ownership. It's somewhat intermittent. It doesn't happen every time I tap the break or hit the gas but maybe a third of the time, which is obviously a lot during stop and go traffic. I've looked around with a flashlight underneath the seat and what not, I can't pinpoint where this is coming from. It kind of sounds like the seat track rail on the driver's door-side but it could also be the hinge area where the seat back meets the base. Sounds like a plastic click or maybe somewhat like the seat is repeatedly setting itself into the track. Strange. It's much more annoying than my a-pillar noise. I may have to bring it in soon unless I can figure this out. These are the 12-way semi-automatic seats by the way. If you have the full electric seats maybe you're not at risk for this one.
You are not alone on this one! I've got the same clicking issue on my drivers seat (2021 D90 w/ 8-way semi powered). It comes and goes. I can’t really pin point anything consistent that causes it. I have figured out that if I adjust my seat a little bit, it seems to go away for a while but eventually starts clicking again. I’m in the VIN recall range for the seat track replacement so I’ll wait until parts are available to fix that before taking it in.

Chief65 (09-15-2021)