large screen
64.65%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

small vs large touchscreen

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2021, 07:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 132 Likes on 63 Posts

It seems a bit silly for LR to offer both the larger and smaller screens, especially with such a small price delta ($140). I suspect the plan is to use up any existing 10" screen inventory for MY2022, in preparation for a permanent shift to the larger 11.4" screen in MY2023 and beyond.

Edit: I just realized that TheMoke just made this very point.

Last edited by RedAustinIX; 03-29-2021 at 07:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (02-05-2022)
Old 03-30-2021, 08:43 PM
Winching
Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

Of course I would like the latest and the greatest. But the small one is ok since it's already there.

Old 03-31-2021, 12:11 AM
Mudding
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Update from my dealer regarding the order - the 11.4" screen is "on restriction" None are being built with it and it may be 6 month delay. (semiconductor supply issues)
Take this with a grain of salt as JLR isn't very forthcoming with info to their U.S. dealers.

The 110 Dynamic-X HSE that was ordered 4 weeks ago (now a 2022) is still in queue and may arrive late May (with a 10" screen)

Old 03-31-2021, 11:35 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 235 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBreeze
Update from my dealer regarding the order - the 11.4" screen is "on restriction" None are being built with it and it may be 6 month delay. (semiconductor supply issues)
Take this with a grain of salt as JLR isn't very forthcoming with info to their U.S. dealers.

The 110 Dynamic-X HSE that was ordered 4 weeks ago (now a 2022) is still in queue and may arrive late May (with a 10" screen)
Thanks so much for that update! I used your information to further prod my dealer today. The salesman assures me (after taking with the guy that does the ordering) that no 11.4" screen delays have turned up on any of their current builds in cue and that my build date of 5-14-21 and delivery date of 7-16-21 will not be affected. I told him I would rather go with 10" than take a chance, but he talked me out of a change saying he didn't see it all necessary. Maybe they've reserved or anticipate enough 11.4 inchers to complete the first MY22 builds occurring in April and May?!

I just dread that phone call sometime in a month or two that informs me of a multi-month delay for the silly screen issue.

Its all just speculation, so we'll see

Old 03-31-2021, 12:14 PM
Mudding
Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

I tried to order the screen. It's unavailable. And it cost 1800.00 USD damn.

Old 03-31-2021, 01:04 PM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

There's one thing about the large screen delays that seems strange to me. They claim it's based on a chip shortage, but I would think the small and large screens would both use the same chip. A different display panel, for sure, but the same chip. It's like getting a larger or smaller smart phone or larger or smaller laptop screen. They use the same chips inside, just different display panels.

Even if they used different chips, why would there be a shortage of chips for the large panel but no shortage of chips for the small panel?

Old 03-31-2021, 01:19 PM
Mudding
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by downshift
There's one thing about the large screen delays that seems strange to me. They claim it's based on a chip shortage, but I would think the small and large screens would both use the same chip. A different display panel, for sure, but the same chip. It's like getting a larger or smaller smart phone or larger or smaller laptop screen. They use the same chips inside, just different display panels.

Even if they used different chips, why would there be a shortage of chips for the large panel but no shortage of chips for the small panel?
Valid question. As I mentioned, I'd take what the dealer says with a grain of salt. They most likely don't know the exact reason as JLR isn't very forthcoming with info. The pandemic has affected many component suppliers, beyond semiconductors, but that's an easy answer for them to give.

Old 03-31-2021, 04:36 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,388 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by downshift

I would presume the small screen orders were placed long ago, whenever LR forecast demand for the current quarter. Whereas, perhaps the large screen orders weren’t placed till much later and they’re just farther back in line.

As far as them using he same chips, I don’t know if that guess is accurate, or if there is enough difference in them that they use different ones, or a different one. At any rate, “chips” could just be shorthand for “electronical parts that are essential to screen production” and something that is needed for the 11.4” screen is not available right now.

Old 02-04-2022, 03:54 PM
Drifting
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Large vs original

Well I now have my2022 110 and paid for the upgrade to the larger screen. I did have a chance to look at another defender back to back with mine who has the original. We both agreed that the 10" original fits in the interior much better and was clearly done by the entire original design team to integrate the look and feel. The change to the 11.4" was probably market-driven. In reality is has a much bigger viewing area that shows a lot more map area at once and it is a lot different than just 15% bigger. The ratio is totally different. Also, it seems to be faster and higher resolution to the eye. I think that may be the viewing angle, lack of reflection from the top grab handle not being above the 11.4". If you have the choice and were looking at them side by side, I think everyone who values function over form would pick the 11.4. With that said I also think that if form over function is important to you then the 10" is a much better design and looks like it was "designed" not just slapped on the grab bars.

Old 02-04-2022, 04:55 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed that LR is using 11.4” screen in newest Range Rover as well. This must be the newest and latest technology.

Quick Reply: small vs large touchscreen