Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speaker and Amp Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2021, 10:57 AM
4wd High
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Speaker and Amp Upgrade?

Hi everyone, new to this forum. Just picked up a 2021 Defender P300 a few weeks ago and was curious if anyone added an amp and sub with the stock radio. Not looking for anything crazy, just wanted to see if anyone has done this yet.

Old 01-26-2021, 02:53 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 262 Likes on 138 Posts

I am pondering that question right now. I have the basic stereo system and looking to replace the speakers, add more speakers, and placing the Amp and subwoofer under the trunk deck. It is a big open spot that I carry my compressor now. I will move the compressor to a different location. I believe the controls for the Pivi are under the passenger seats. Need to do some digging around to see where I can tie it all in.

Old 01-26-2021, 04:59 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Welcome to the Defender Club!

I remember Simon at Powerful UK making the comment on one of his videos, has he was looking the part diagram for the audio system.

The speakers overall are the same part number regardless of system you have.

What changes is the number of speaker and the amp. The base system has the same high quality speaker and the surround top tier system. Again, it’s all in the amp and number speakers.

Old 01-27-2021, 03:05 PM
Drifting

I plan on upgrading the 10 speaker 400watt system as I was trying to get the 14 speaker system as an upgrade but the dealer told me I need to move up trim levels. Looking to do an Audison speaker and Sub upgrade.

Last edited by L_Pretender_R; 01-27-2021 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 01-27-2021, 04:02 PM
4wd High

Let me know how it goes. I’m going to take a look at it over the weekend myself and see if it’s a easy job or not.

Old 01-30-2021, 08:14 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 681 Likes on 409 Posts

I think the only option will be to add the OEM speakers or sub that the higher trim levels have. I doubt that any aftermarket speakers or sub work.

After 10 years of trying, I don't think anyone was able to install aftermarket sound components in an LR4. Everything is so integrated now.

Old 01-30-2021, 11:24 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by PaulLR
I think the only option will be to add the OEM speakers or sub that the higher trim levels have. I doubt that any aftermarket speakers or sub work.

After 10 years of trying, I don't think anyone was able to install aftermarket sound components in an LR4. Everything is so integrated now.
Audison speakers and sub will replace the stock 10 speaker 400w system. If you’re in SoCal call AudioToyz and they’ll explain the plug and play system.

The following users liked this post:
webops (12-06-2021)
Old 02-09-2023, 03:11 AM
2nd Gear
Default Audio system upgrade sticky

Guys,

I would like to start a thread if it does not exist to help others do the audio system upgrade for the L663. I am trying to access the optical or digital out from the AAM. Can anyone help or do we need to start something to research? I have see people using the line level outputs but I would like a better quality signal to also help with the integration for the other A/V features. Any ideas?

Old 02-09-2023, 01:55 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 78 Likes on 43 Posts

I have upgraded my 700w Meridian system. I first started by installing a custom subwoofer box in the space below the rear cargo lid, two down firing 10" subs in a sealed enclosure. This is powered by a 800w monoblock amp. I pulled the signal from the factory amp subwoofer output that is located behind the rear left panel in the back. I just tapped the signal and fed it through a line level converter so the factory 6x9 sub up front is still in the mix. I played around with changing out the factory door speakers that although sound pretty good are paper cone and seems to be pretty poor quality with other direct fit speakers from the JLR lineup. There was a slight increase in sound quality but I wanted more. I eventually changed out all the door woofers to aftermarket speakers from Merrel and Dayton audio and added a 250x4 channel amp to drive the higher power speakers. The front door mids were swapped out for a pair of Tang Band drivers and all the tweeters were updated to titanium dome units from higher end JLR models. The final mod was to add another 100x4 channel amp to boost the mids/highs up front to improve the sound stage and keep up with the rest of the system volume wise. The 1000w amp that drives the door woofers is fed from another line level converter but the 400w four channel that drives the front mids/highs accepts high level inputs. The rest of the system (front center channel and rear mids) are still driven purely off the factory amp. The results of these mods are impressive, I used to be into car audio back in the 90's, this is the first stock audio system I have modified in a long time. I am happy I did, best sounding sound system I have ever had!
If someone says you can't add on to the factory amp using line level converters because the sound quality will suck, don't believe them.

The following 4 users liked this post by mikelr:
Delco (02-09-2023), ficklma1 (02-09-2023), Futen (05-04-2023), MattF (02-09-2023)
Old 02-09-2023, 03:14 PM
2nd Gear

Kind of doing this because I also was in pro car audio back in 1990’s here in OC, California and want to see how well I can preserve the stock look but have it sound better with changing everything back to the Phoenix Gold era . Was thinking to try to experiment with the integration because of all the software that runs for the system.

The following users liked this post:
ficklma1 (02-09-2023)

Quick Reply: Speaker and Amp Upgrade?