Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speaker and Amp Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2023, 05:58 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 681 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by Polar993
I am also looking to upgrade the sound of the stock Meridian system in my D90. I want to keep it as simple as possible and maintain the factory Pivi Pro interface. Anyone have a good recommendation for a car stereo installer in either Westchester County, NY or near Greenwich, CT? I’m not exactly sure what types of upgrades I will need and I’d like to find a shop that has already modified a new Defender. Thanks!
I got quotes from high-end car audio shops here in the Boston area to upgrade the 400 watt system. Both said the only solution was to install an entirely new system. Cost options were $10K and $13K. I decided to swap out the tweeters with Focal Utopia tweeters from Crutchfield. Very easy to do yourself. To my ears, it now sounds almost as good as the 700 watt system in our other Defender. However, the Focal Utopia woofers actually sounded worse than the OEM woofers when I tried swapping those. So those woofers are now in my daughter's Honda.

The following 2 users liked this post by PaulLR:
ficklma1 (10-13-2023), Ronin Defender (10-13-2023)
Old 10-14-2023, 06:55 AM
Drifting
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulLR
I got quotes from high-end car audio shops here in the Boston area to upgrade the 400 watt system. Both said the only solution was to install an entirely new system. Cost options were $10K and $13K. I decided to swap out the tweeters with Focal Utopia tweeters from Crutchfield. Very easy to do yourself. To my ears, it now sounds almost as good as the 700 watt system in our other Defender. However, the Focal Utopia woofers actually sounded worse than the OEM woofers when I tried swapping those. So those woofers are now in my daughter's Honda.
These $2K tweeters or some other variant?

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_091TBM/Focal-TBM.html

Old 10-14-2023, 07:29 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 681 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by ckamps
These $2K tweeters or some other variant? https://www.crutchfield.com/p_091TBM/Focal-TBM.html
Yes those, but I bought the kit with the woofers included for the same cost:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_091165...a-165W-XP.html

Once you pry off the tweeter covers, you will need to cut out the OEM tweeter mounting tabs and glue-in the new tweeters since they are oval. I used JB Weld. You will also need a little extra speaker wire. Crutchfield sells it by the foot. Know that these Focal tweeters will need to break-in and sounded far better after about a week.

Old 12-10-2023, 03:37 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fmg
After doing all of this I am noticing a grumble in the subwoofer when I idle and then press the accelerator. I have moved the ground wire to a new location by itself thinking it was that. There was an empty ground pin under the Styrofoam insert in the load space area. I also randomly hear a loud pulse sound (deep base) during a song. I have separated the power and ground and speaker wires so I am at a loss of where this rumble is coming from.
Hi there.. new to this forum just cruising some threads, not sure if ever addressed the rumble. It is exactly the ASD (active sound design) feature from the factory. they pump in engine sound to the cabin for what they describe as an immersive feeling with the vehicle. Unfortunately , it comes through our speakers that should only emit musical notes. hope that helps if you haven't figured it out yet

Old 12-10-2023, 04:18 PM
Winching
Received 165 Likes on 116 Posts

the active sound or active noise cancelation is built into the meridian digital sound processor and not a separate module you can disconnect.

You can have it programmed out with one of those tuners that add features like adaptive lights etc. the purpose of active noise cancelation is to reduce road noise by creating a low frequency from the oem sub. when you add power and a much larger sun you really hear the difference.

any source played through the oem dsp will have this. my system has 3 separate sources, oem(carplay) direct hifi bluetooth and direct coaxial. the direct sources bypass the oem dsp into my aftermarket dsp and no issues with the ACN

Originally Posted by drjam
Hi there.. new to this forum just cruising some threads, not sure if ever addressed the rumble. It is exactly the ASD (active sound design) feature from the factory. they pump in engine sound to the cabin for what they describe as an immersive feeling with the vehicle. Unfortunately , it comes through our speakers that should only emit musical notes. hope that helps if you haven't figured it out yet

Old 12-16-2023, 05:12 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Polar993
I am also looking to upgrade the sound of the stock Meridian system in my D90. I want to keep it as simple as possible and maintain the factory Pivi Pro interface.

Anyone have a good recommendation for a car stereo installer in either Westchester County, NY or near Greenwich, CT? I’m not exactly sure what types of upgrades I will need and I’d like to find a shop that has already modified a new Defender.

Thanks!
Not sure if too late with this but if you're able to get to New Jersey it would be Joe Bruno Designs Berlin, NJ . Maybe a ride for you but he installed, diagnosed and solved all the issues everyone here seems to be having (rattles, vibrations, disconnecting ASD feature causing the bass rumble etc.) All with an OEM look like nothing was ever disturbed other than a small black **** for 12" sub control. I have a 23 D90 V8

The following users liked this post:
ficklma1 (12-18-2023)
Old 01-28-2024, 09:52 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the ASD, if you have nothing playing then there is no sound being sent to subs to counter road noise - it only works when playing sound thru the oem? I'm getting ready to have a complete install of Helix 12 channel DSP and replacing all factory speakers with Blam Multix. Wondering how the ASD affects the signal it sends to the DSP and how that will alter the programming - and if I had a Direct connect to AMP (bypassing the factory oem) would I still get the meridian sanctioned signal being sent to sub etc?

Thanks for any responses

Old 01-28-2024, 10:01 AM
Winching

ASD is always on and will send signals even when not playing music. you will hear rumbles from your sub but will be dramatically magnified if you are running new amps and subs

if you are running a new dsp which should have a digital source you will not have any issues with that digital source. Its only when you are using oem source i.e carplay, sirius you are going to have the issue.

i primarily use a hi-res bluetooth connection direct into my mosconi dsp which basically bypasses the oem meridian dsp. the meridian dsp is where all the problems are

sounds like you are building a high end build. your installer should know what to do.

but i did end up deactivating the ASD. JLR active has a new remote activation program. they mail you a laptop and he logs in remote and adds or deleted what you want within minutes.

Originally Posted by ClarkWGriswold
With the ASD, if you have nothing playing then there is no sound being sent to subs to counter road noise - it only works when playing sound thru the oem? I'm getting ready to have a complete install of Helix 12 channel DSP and replacing all factory speakers with Blam Multix. Wondering how the ASD affects the signal it sends to the DSP and how that will alter the programming - and if I had a Direct connect to AMP (bypassing the factory oem) would I still get the meridian sanctioned signal being sent to sub etc?

Thanks for any responses

ClarkWGriswold (01-28-2024)
Old 01-28-2024, 10:05 AM
Winching

the reason why your woofers sounded worse is that the utopia are 4 ohm speakers and your meridian amp is at 2 ohm. basically you reduced the amps power by half. The utopia speakers are cream of the crop and need additional power to drive them to begin with

i surprised you went so high end on the speaker replacement without adding other components

Originally Posted by PaulLR

ficklma1 (01-29-2024)
Old 01-28-2024, 03:06 PM
Mudding
Received 303 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Ehloo
ASD is always on and will send signals even when not playing music. you will hear rumbles from your sub but will be dramatically magnified if you are running new amps and subs

if you are running a new dsp which should have a digital source you will not have any issues with that digital source. Its only when you are using oem source i.e carplay, sirius you are going to have the issue.

i primarily use a hi-res bluetooth connection direct into my mosconi dsp which basically bypasses the oem meridian dsp. the meridian dsp is where all the problems are

sounds like you are building a high end build. your installer should know what to do.

but i did end up deactivating the ASD. JLR active has a new remote activation program. they mail you a laptop and he logs in remote and adds or deleted what you want within minutes.

Any contact info for JLR active ?

Quick Reply: Speaker and Amp Upgrade?