2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering wheel locked, but the rest seems ok.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2021, 11:43 PM
Mudding
Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

Before I do anything with the dealer I disconnect the battery and clear all of the codes then restart the car and see if I still have the problem.

The following users liked this post:
Elektrapops (12-23-2021)
Old 12-23-2021, 07:30 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

Same exact issue with mine after work yesterday. “Lane assist not available” warning and the steering wheel is extremely difficult to move (like it has no power steering). Had to tow it on a flatbed to dealership.

The following 2 users liked this post by TCole:
Elektrapops (12-23-2021), Whogan (12-14-2022)
Old 12-23-2021, 08:06 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,405 Likes on 708 Posts

With two people reporting a similar issue, perhaps this should be reported to the NHTSA as has been done with the spontaneous windshield cracks.

It's great that the dealer acknowledged it and reset it but that likely won't make it back to JLR in a meaningful way.

It's very easy to report and it may end up preventing an accident one day.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#vehicle

The following 3 users liked this post by _Allegedly:
Elektrapops (12-23-2021), Ericlockheed (01-09-2022), GrouseK9 (12-23-2021)
Old 12-23-2021, 09:40 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Oh heck, sorry to hear that. I think Allegedly is right in saying it might be time to report it, now there's two of us and it's not a one-off glitch.
(You weren't driving, right?)

Last edited by Elektrapops; 12-23-2021 at 09:42 AM. Reason: extra question
Whogan (12-14-2022)
Old 12-23-2021, 09:58 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by TCole
Same exact issue with mine after work yesterday. “Lane assist not available” warning and the steering wheel is extremely difficult to move (like it has no power steering). Had to tow it on a flatbed to dealership.
Can you expand a little on your experience - did the engine start and the car could drive ffwd and reverse, and was your interactive screen dimmed? If we have the exact same issue, then it's more than a glitch.

Whogan (12-14-2022)
Old 12-23-2021, 10:50 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Elektrapops
Can you expand a little on your experience - did the engine start and the car could drive ffwd and reverse, and was your interactive screen dimmed? If we have the exact same issue, then it's more than a glitch.
It happened after being parked at work for 9hrs. The “lane assist not available!” warning came on when I started the car. I noticed the steering wheel was VERY hard to turn. You have to use both hands and lean with body weight to turn the wheel a few inches which when the car is at a stand-still. It did get a little easier if the car was moving. The screen didn’t dim but now I recall, just for a few seconds, part of the cameras on the display screen were grayed out when I put it in reverse. This only happened once for a short time during the multiple engine on/off cycles I tried hoping it would go away. The “20 sec pivi reboot” didn’t fix it (I tried it about 3 times). Walking away and coming back didn’t fix it. (I was referencing this thread for a fix as this was happening)

the car otherwise turned on and off normally. Drove forward and reverse. No other warnings. Just the power steering was lost. The tow-driver lined up and drove the defender on the flat-bed without issue. Dealership said there was another defender recently with a similar issue that they had to “reset/update software and modules”. I have to wait and get the details. Unless it was you Elektrapops? Are you’re in MI, USA?

Elektrapops (12-23-2021)
Old 12-23-2021, 03:03 PM
Three Wheeling

It happened after being parked at work for 9hrs. The “lane assist not available!” warning came on when I started the car. I noticed the steering wheel was VERY hard to turn. You have to use both hands and lean with body weight to turn the wheel a few inches which when the car is at a stand-still. It did get a little easier if the car was moving. The screen didn’t dim but now I recall, just for a few seconds, part of the cameras on the display screen were grayed out when I put it in reverse. This only happened once for a short time during the multiple engine on/off cycles I tried hoping it would go away. The “20 sec pivi reboot” didn’t fix it (I tried it about 3 times). Walking away and coming back didn’t fix it. (I was referencing this thread for a fix as this was happening)

the car otherwise turned on and off normally. Drove forward and reverse. No other warnings. Just the power steering was lost. The tow-driver lined up and drove the defender on the flat-bed without issue. Dealership said there was another defender recently with a similar issue that they had to “reset/update software and modules”. I have to wait and get the details. Unless it was you Elektrapops? Are you’re in MI, USA?
No, I'm in PA, but this other driver at your dealership makes us three. And your description is exactly the same as mine. Following Allegedly's suggestion, I'm reporting my experience to NHTSA because at the moment it seems it only happens when first starting the vehicle, but I think it still needs reporting in case it's a bigger issue than we (or JLR) realize.

Perhaps show us a photo of what your dealership did - mine's on that earlier post.

Whogan (12-14-2022)
Old 12-23-2021, 03:23 PM
Three Wheeling

I’ll submit a NHTSA report too.

Right now it’s in que behind 25 other cars at the LR dealership over a holiday weekend. They don’t expect to get to it until mid next week. I’ll update when I get my paperwork on the fix.

Elektrapops (12-23-2021)
Old 12-28-2021, 09:35 AM
Three Wheeling

Update: dealer had to disconnect and reconnect the battery “hard reset” to get it working again. They are escalating the issue to “LR technical support” and submitting the car logs/data etc. I’m not getting the car back because they are not able to determine the root cause yet and can’t guarantee it will not happen again.

Does any one have the steps to properly do a “hard reset” with battery disconnect? I want to be able to try this myself in case it’s needed again. Thanks.

Elektrapops (12-28-2021)
Old 12-28-2021, 09:43 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,405 Likes on 708 Posts

Update: dealer had to disconnect and reconnect the battery “hard reset” to get it working again. They are escalating the issue to “LR technical support” and submitting the car logs/data etc. I’m not getting the car back because they are not able to determine the root cause yet and can’t guarantee it will not happen again.

Does any one have the steps to properly do a “hard reset” with battery disconnect? I want to be able to try this myself in case it’s needed again. Thanks.
Yes, it's in the workshop manual. Disconnect battery for 1 minute. Reconnect and use their equipment to clear any diagnostic trouble codes.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel locked, but the rest seems ok.