Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TDI Tune

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2022, 12:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 700 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by Muppetry
This paper primarily addresses a potential error in calculating relative O₂ concentration from absolute O₂ concentration in mol m⁻³, due to the variation of partial pressure with pressure, temperature and concentration. That shouldn't matter for a turbo, since all it cares about for combustion stoichiometry is absolute concentration.
ok, so does anyone know reportedly why turbos do not function at their most robust at low outside temperature?

Old 01-24-2022, 12:39 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

Not me, the longer I live beyond college mathematics the more my math skills regress. I'm hell on wheels with Excel spreadsheets these days, but beyond that I've got nothing. Interested in the topic, though.

Old 01-24-2022, 12:48 PM
Mudding
Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by TrioLRowner
ok, so does anyone know reportedly why turbos do not function at their most robust at low outside temperature?
I didn't know that was a common problem, and a quick Google search doesn't seem to bring up much on the subject. I did find one short discussion of the subject relating to GM vehicles:

https://gm-techlink.com/?p=11016

It mentions a few different issues, but the main one appears to be moisture condensing and freezing in the air cooler.

The following users liked this post:
TrioLRowner (01-24-2022)
Old 01-25-2022, 12:14 AM
Winching
Received 165 Likes on 116 Posts

simple answer is cold air is more dense and holds more oxygen.

turbos love cold air but when too cold the ecu is over compensating

i love early morning drives in my tuned m8. it is also running a piggy back tube but was customed tune. so not off the shelf. throttle response is amazing. but i love in California and the coldest it gets is low 30’s and that’s once and awhile

Originally Posted by TrioLRowner

Old 01-25-2022, 08:32 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Ehloo
simple answer is cold air is more dense and holds more oxygen.

turbos love cold air but when too cold the ecu is over compensating

i love early morning drives in my tuned m8. it is also running a piggy back tube but was customed tune. so not off the shelf. throttle response is amazing. but i love in California and the coldest it gets is low 30’s and that’s once and awhile
That's not really an explanation. The ECU is overcompensating for what? And why is cold better than hot, but too cold worse than cold?

Old 01-27-2022, 12:55 AM
Winching

there is a reason why i said simple answer. quick google search can explain why cold air is better than hot for turbos

if you research in more detail many have issues with their cars in extreme temperatures.

the ecu is over compensating then increasing fuel and in some cases running rich or not providing enough fuel and running lean, or enough fuel for the oxygen intake

quick summary of the link. cold air is more dense. you will notice you car perform better in normal cold temps compared to a hot summer day

https://www.turbodynamics.co.uk/medi...sonal-weather/

That's not really an explanation. The ECU is overcompensating for what? And why is cold better than hot, but too cold worse than cold?

Old 01-27-2022, 08:55 AM
Mudding

there is a reason why i said simple answer. quick google search can explain why cold air is better than hot for turbos

if you research in more detail many have issues with their cars in extreme temperatures.

the ecu is over compensating then increasing fuel and in some cases running rich or not providing enough fuel and running lean, or enough fuel for the oxygen intake

quick summary of the link. cold air is more dense. you will notice you car perform better in normal cold temps compared to a hot summer day

https://www.turbodynamics.co.uk/medi...sonal-weather/
That link addresses why turbos perform worse in hot temperatures. That wasn't the question, which was about why they might perform worse in very cold temperatures, so your "quick Google search" didn't work.

Old 01-27-2022, 06:18 PM
Winching

sorry cant help you if you can’t figure out from the link.

it’s pretty detailed and answers your questions.

maybe you should try reading it

That link addresses why turbos perform worse in hot temperatures. That wasn't the question, which was about why they might perform worse in very cold temperatures, so your "quick Google search" didn't work.

Old 01-27-2022, 06:28 PM
Mudding

sorry cant help you if you can’t figure out from the link.

it’s pretty detailed and answers your questions.

maybe you should try reading it
No - I read it, and it is just about why turbos perform better at lower temperatures. As for detailed, it's about as superficial as it gets. If you don't actually know anything about this subject then you might consider simply not posting.

Old 01-30-2022, 12:29 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,253 Likes on 672 Posts

I have had turbo cars for 30 years and ... guess what, as we all know, they're faster when it's cold.

Turbochargers do not perform worse at low temperatures. If the claim is that modern engine management software backs off the power at extremely low temperatures, which means that "the car performs worse"... then, that's what is happening. If you are wondering the *reason* why... well, then, I don't know. And who cares. It's emissions related (most likely). And are we actually racing a Defender at subzero temperatures?

In other words, this thread is becoming rather tedious...

Last edited by nashvegas; 01-30-2022 at 12:32 AM.

Quick Reply: TDI Tune