Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on 22MY Defender XS Edition vs XD-HSE

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2021, 03:19 PM
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Thoughts on 22MY Defender XS Edition vs XD-HSE

Starting a thread to explore XS Edition for 2022 model year.

Interested to hear about other peoples thoughts.

Particularly:
why would one choose XD-HSE over XS?
what type of driver is the XS aimed at?

I personally love the full leather option, and hate fact of missing wheel arch protectors. But seems one can purchase a set of 4 arch protectors for not much…

anyone have thoughts, experiences and opinions on this?

The following users liked this post:
Royalist (08-06-2021)
Old 08-06-2021, 03:30 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 185 Likes on 109 Posts

I prefer the XD-SE as my personal fav trim because its the highest trim where I can do the extended black pack, a range of colors, the Suede seats, and most importantly, can configure it as a 90. The X-Dynamic HSE, you can't get the suede seats. As for the XS...ehhhh...it's a little dirpy but super unique I guess. Color palette is very restrictive on it though too, and obvi only on the 110. A little too LA rapper for me.

Old 08-06-2021, 04:39 PM
Winching
Received 246 Likes on 173 Posts

I ordered a my21 HSE in February. In march the m22 models got released and my HSE build went up by over 3k for the privilege of being a my22 model instead of a my21. My top color choice was Carpathian Grey. I thought the XS model offered a really good value as it bundled a lot of options into it and I preferred the same color lower body. What I didn't like was the limited color options. I went to my dealer and saw a RR sport in silicon silver and I thought it looked really good. I have not had a vehicle that color before so I abandoned the first HSE order and got a new my22 XS order in silicon silver. At the time, back in March, the LR US press release for the my22 models reflected the XS had air suspension standard instead of the new for 22 $1600 option cost. This turned out to be untrue. In the end the cost difference between the HSE and XS for my22 put me back at the price of my my21 HSE order.

Now there are some things I don't like like the lack of rear tow hooks and the limited wheel option. I plan on installing my own hooks and getting the wheels sprayed gloss black. The standard 20 wheels have grown on me although originally I did not want them at all. I also like that the seat color is all the same vs what the HSE offers. Its Windsor leather so its the top all leather package LR has. The V8 has a suede. The post above about suede must be referencing the non leather "vegan" option. I would have gone that route if I had a lower build as well. You cant get any of the wood trim which I wanted but that was obviously not a deal breaker for me.

I wish the vehicle had the extended black pack as well but I plan on addressing those myself as well in some way or another.

Which color would you be leaning? I know the lower section on the black is a different color black so not sure how those compare side by side to an all black HSE (are both lower sections glossy would be a good question as well). The black ones look great but I dont like their level of cleaning maintenance.

Old 08-06-2021, 05:25 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Moretti
I ordered a my21 HSE in February. In march the m22 models got released and my HSE build went up by over 3k for the privilege of being a my22 model instead of a my21. My top color choice was Carpathian Grey. I thought the XS model offered a really good value as it bundled a lot of options into it and I preferred the same color lower body. What I didn't like was the limited color options. I went to my dealer and saw a RR sport in silicon silver and I thought it looked really good. I have not had a vehicle that color before so I abandoned the first HSE order and got a new my22 XS order in silicon silver. At the time, back in March, the LR US press release for the my22 models reflected the XS had air suspension standard instead of the new for 22 $1600 option cost. This turned out to be untrue. In the end the cost difference between the HSE and XS for my22 put me back at the price of my my21 HSE order.

Now there are some things I don't like like the lack of rear tow hooks and the limited wheel option. I plan on installing my own hooks and getting the wheels sprayed gloss black. The standard 20 wheels have grown on me although originally I did not want them at all. I also like that the seat color is all the same vs what the HSE offers. Its Windsor leather so its the top all leather package LR has. The V8 has a suede. The post above about suede must be referencing the non leather "vegan" option. I would have gone that route if I had a lower build as well. You cant get any of the wood trim which I wanted but that was obviously not a deal breaker for me.

I wish the vehicle had the extended black pack as well but I plan on addressing those myself as well in some way or another.

Which color would you be leaning? I know the lower section on the black is a different color black so not sure how those compare side by side to an all black HSE (are both lower sections glossy would be a good question as well). The black ones look great but I dont like their level of cleaning maintenance.
Well in the US (if that's where you're at), all 110's are Air Suspension and the XS is only offered in a 110.

Old 08-06-2021, 05:25 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Moretti

Really wish the "extended black pack" was an option - although I can probably achieve the same aftermarket for half the price. For me, I'm really set on black - so the build just makes so much sense vs a HSE. If you want color options, then XS definitely isn't your thing.

Here are two builds - one is the XS I already ordered (delivering this Nov), and the other is a close match in a HSE....
XS Build: https://build.landrover/24ADE34C $75,665
HSE Build: https://build.landrover/F9EA6FBF $76,715

XS Build above comes standard with 18-way seats / clear view mirror / best leather options as you mentioned - and a handful of other perks...and less money. But def limited if colors are a concern. I'm attaching a copy of the XS build guide here, in case anyone finds it helpful.

Attached Files
Old 08-06-2021, 05:26 PM
Drifting

As of model year 2022 in the USA, AIr Suspension is NOT standard any longer.

Royalist (08-06-2021)
Old 08-06-2021, 05:31 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by olro
As of model year 2022 in the USA, AIr Suspension is NOT standard any longer.
OHHHHH, yeah you're right. That's actually awesome. I got a 90 with the coils and super glad I didn't go for the air. So, it's nice for 2022, the 110 guys and gals out there can do the same. I had air suspension on my 5th gen Ram and W205 C-Class and loved it, but prefer the coils for this setup personally.

Old 08-06-2021, 05:37 PM
Winching
Received 246 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by olro
Really wish the "extended black pack" was an option - although I can probably achieve the same aftermarket for half the price. For me, I'm really set on black - so the build just makes so much sense vs a HSE. If you want color options, then XS definitely isn't your thing.

Here are two builds - one is the XS I already ordered (delivering this Nov), and the other is a close match in a HSE....
XS Build: https://build.landrover/24ADE34C $75,665
HSE Build: https://build.landrover/F9EA6FBF $76,715

XS Build above comes standard with 18-way seats / clear view mirror / best leather options as you mentioned - and a handful of other perks...and less money. But def limited if colors are a concern. I'm attaching a copy of the XS build guide here, in case anyone finds it helpful.
Yeah you dont have many options selected there so you are mostly getting the bonus options the XS bundles.

I dont understand why they went with the bright silver badging and skid plates. The HSE has silicon silver skid pan, badging, etc and I figured the HSE would get the same color. With a silicon silver exterior I thought that would be unique, but JLR didnt like that option I guess..

Old 12-29-2021, 05:25 AM
Drifting
Default My XS arrived…

Here she is…

GrouseK9 (12-29-2021)