Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tracking Defender issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2021, 06:07 PM
Overlanding
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tracking Defender issues

It would be very interesting to have a list of issues per Defender model and year. 2020, 2021, etc. My 2020 110x with 5,000 miles, has so far only had the defective (leaking) front air struts.

The following users liked this post:
notourist (05-23-2023)
Old 10-28-2021, 05:56 AM
Overlanding
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jati
It would be very interesting to have a list of issues per Defender model and year. 2020, 2021, etc. My 2020 110x with 5,000 miles, has so far only had the defective (leaking) front air struts.
My 2020 Defender 110 has has the windshield wind noise A-column cover falling off problem, a windshield that cracked for no reason, slow-to-respond shifter, and finicky keyless entry issues. 15k miles.

Old 10-28-2021, 08:17 AM
Overlanding
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkZ
My 2020 Defender 110 has has the windshield wind noise A-column cover falling off problem, a windshield that cracked for no reason, slow-to-respond shifter, and finicky keyless entry issues. 15k miles.
Let me add very grabby and sensitive brakes!

Rychlr (02-18-2024)
Old 11-10-2021, 09:39 PM
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Keyless start

Have had my ‘21 Defender 110 for only a few weeks (preowned, 17k miles), and it won’t start unless you place the fob precisely positioned under the steering column. Called service department and they said might need a module replacement. Anyone have this issue? Replaced battery but didn’t help. Both fobs do this.

The following 2 users liked this post by Okie:
Royalist (11-12-2021), Rychlr (02-18-2024)
Old 11-11-2021, 02:30 PM
Drifting
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey Okie - I have a 2022 and had the exact same problem with the key fob. Try cycling on and off the Auto Start/Stop feature button once the Defender is running and see it that fixes the issue. Also use your key fob outside the vehicle to lock and then upload the Defender. I ended up doing both of these things and I have not had a problem with the key fob moving forward.

Royalist (11-12-2021)
Old 11-11-2021, 05:41 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 196 Likes on 112 Posts

2022 Defender 110SE.

No mechanical or electrical issues to report. Runs like a champ.

Have a sunroof or headliner very minor rattle over the drivers side. Not terrible or annoying but that’s the only fitment issue. Otherwise interior is solid.

Last edited by Count Laszlo; 11-11-2021 at 05:44 PM.
DefenderSISU (10-07-2023)
Old 11-12-2021, 11:48 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 185 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Okie
Have had my ‘21 Defender 110 for only a few weeks (preowned, 17k miles), and it won’t start unless you place the fob precisely positioned under the steering column. Called service department and they said might need a module replacement. Anyone have this issue? Replaced battery but didn’t help. Both fobs do this.
Originally Posted by DGINAZ
Hey Okie - I have a 2022 and had the exact same problem with the key fob. Try cycling on and off the Auto Start/Stop feature button once the Defender is running and see it that fixes the issue. Also use your key fob outside the vehicle to lock and then upload the Defender. I ended up doing both of these things and I have not had a problem with the key fob moving forward.
My '22 90 S had this issue a few months ago. Took it to the dealer and they managed to reset the system. Hasn't been a problem since. There is a Recall/TSB for it though, and they ordered the parts for it. 7 parts total and the majority are in. Several were on back order though but the rest should be in soon and will probs have it installed/fixed by about the next month or so.

Other than that, few screen blackouts, left driver side speaker may be blown, and squeak in instrument cluster left side plastic surround squeaks. Will have it all sorted when it goes in for the Recall/TSB. No real issues though, love the car.

EDIT: Just passed 8,000 miles today.

Old 11-13-2021, 10:03 PM
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DGINAZ
My wife tried and it worked! We’ll see if it freaks out again, but thanks for the tip.

Old 11-14-2021, 10:21 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

My 2021 P300 S had been great with no issues up until a few weeks ago. After about 1800 miles, I started hearing a relatively slight whirring noise along with somewhat depleted engine power. Took it into the dealer and was told I need a new turbo which is on order and now a few weeks away from showing up at the dealer. I was also told it was safe to drive in the mean time and no other collateral damage would be done.

All of a sudden on the highway yesterday, the whirring gets way worse and engine power is almost nothing. I get off immediately and it’s currently a struggle to get the truck up to 30 mph with nearly flooring the gas pedal. There’s also some shaking that happens when idling at red lights. Definitely dangerously slow and not safe to have on the road. Bringing it in first thing tomorrow morning and demanding a loaner until the issue is resolved. I just hope whatever is wrong now isn’t going to put my truck out of commission for a seriously long period of time.

Old 11-14-2021, 01:21 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,412 Likes on 713 Posts

Originally Posted by tkiel
My 2021 P300 S had been great with no issues up until a few weeks ago. After about 1800 miles, I started hearing a relatively slight whirring noise along with somewhat depleted engine power. Took it into the dealer and was told I need a new turbo which is on order and now a few weeks away from showing up at the dealer. I was also told it was safe to drive in the mean time and no other collateral damage would be done.

All of a sudden on the highway yesterday, the whirring gets way worse and engine power is almost nothing. I get off immediately and it’s currently a struggle to get the truck up to 30 mph with nearly flooring the gas pedal. There’s also some shaking that happens when idling at red lights. Definitely dangerously slow and not safe to have on the road. Bringing it in first thing tomorrow morning and demanding a loaner until the issue is resolved. I just hope whatever is wrong now isn’t going to put my truck out of commission for a seriously long period of time.
Driving with noise only isn't usually a problem with a turbo but reduced power and mileage + noise is not good.

It's pretty surprising that it didn't go into limp mode before that happened. Not even a check engine light? Best of luck getting it resolved quickly.

Last edited by _Allegedly; 11-14-2021 at 01:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Tracking Defender issues