Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tracking Defender issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2023, 07:04 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 115 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by inater
Sewell just had my car for a month.... My front AC was blowing the correct temp but the back was always blowing 120-140 degrees. They had my entire car apart and replaced the entire HVAC system. That was the first major issue that happened to my car and was a pretty big bummer. The biggest issue was more with how the car went back together rather than the AC issue its self.
I had that too, but the dial was locked at higher setting!!! Never touched it, but temperature was over 100 degrees F at rear.

The following users liked this post:
inater (05-24-2023)
Old 05-23-2023, 08:49 PM
Mudding
Received 100 Likes on 57 Posts

My rear door was stuck shut and couldn’t be opened from the inside or outside.

turns out the child lock somehow activated and couldn’t be turned off without a software reset.

this was the solution my dealer told me today…uhhhh…

Old 05-24-2023, 08:12 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

30 days with my 90 P300, I love everything about it but I ran into some issues within my first 1000KM.

1) I have a faulty "Fuel Tank Sensor", I don't know how much fuel is in the car because it is always at 0KM.
2) My entertainment screen just shut down while on the highway, had no access to maps, music..etc... had to park on the side for 20 minutes until it worked again.
3) Trunk wouldn't open for sometime

Old 05-27-2023, 02:54 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread scares me off as a potential future owner of a Defender 90. Just browsing vehicles as usual, but I already have four vehicles really not looking to get in anything anytime soon. This Thread is scaring me into a two-door Bronco or a Macan GTS/Turbo. Anything purchased in the future would be used for me. I really don't want or need a Macan I already have a 2011 Forester XT with about 400 to the wheels. With a modern Deck with Android auto and STI seats so it's comfortable. Of course I know all vehicles have issues but when I get something down the road it's going to be out of warranty.

Old 05-27-2023, 03:53 PM
Mudding
Received 100 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Rude
This thread scares me off as a potential future owner of a Defender 90. Just browsing vehicles as usual, but I already have four vehicles really not looking to get in anything anytime soon. This Thread is scaring me into a two-door Bronco or a Macan GTS/Turbo. Anything purchased in the future would be used for me. I really don't want or need a Macan I already have a 2011 Forester XT with about 400 to the wheels. With a modern Deck with Android auto and STI seats so it's comfortable. Of course I know all vehicles have issues but when I get something down the road it's going to be out of warranty.
I think you have to remember that you're reading posts from those who are early adopters. No one is going to post about their vehicles that don't break or haven't had problems. In 2-3 years with more time having passed hopefully all the known issues/flaws will have been made known and people who look to get a used Defender will be able to assess their risk tolerance better than the early adopters here.

I have a 2021 Z-71 Tahoe too with over 37,000 miles and literally nothing has broken on it, but the Tahoe forums are filled with people having problematic experiences left and right. Each vehicle is built differently even within the same model/platform.

Old 05-27-2023, 06:31 PM
Mudding
Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Rude
@NativeTexan is correct, the squeaky wheel gets the grease so you’ll hear about people who have issues but not from people who don’t. We have 2 Defenders - one P400 that my wife drives and has absolutely no issues, and a P525 that I drive that has 2 minor things: some wind noise and the rear door that gets a little hard to open at times. Honestly I was going to wait until next year’s service date to get these looked at while it was there. I am not dropping off my vehicle for minor issues.

Old 05-27-2023, 06:55 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 115 Likes on 85 Posts

None of modern cars can be called reliable in old-1991-Toyota-Camry-like sense.
We have fleet of Kia Carnivals - multiple problems at low mileage, fuel system, catalytics, not some piviPro freezing or wind noise.
I have Sienna hybrid, sort of recall on fuel pump (can leak pretty badly, warranty extended) and the thing can't properly brake.
Quick search shows that Defender is probably the most reliable LR product so far with exception of D200 in certain markets and diesels all together.
Time will tell.

The following users liked this post:
jusmax88 (05-29-2023)
Old 05-28-2023, 07:11 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,412 Likes on 713 Posts

Have the sticky rear driver side door. The gasket at the top is too large so it catches the glass panel behind the door.

​​​​​​It's a really simple fix, just needs a new gasket.

If it's ignored, it can eventually break the rivets on the door frame where it's held on. The glass panel on the rear door can then come off. In other words, don't delay.

Old 05-28-2023, 09:51 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts

I have the rear door issue and have been ignoring it after the dealership was like "naw man, it just needs to be adjusted."

Comparing left side (sticky) to right side (works perfectly), there is a visible difference in the gap between the door seal and the fixed window.

Thanks for the tip on urgency.

Old 05-29-2023, 06:14 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,412 Likes on 713 Posts

Originally Posted by racerpeter
I have the rear door issue and have been ignoring it after the dealership was like "naw man, it just needs to be adjusted."

Comparing left side (sticky) to right side (works perfectly), there is a visible difference in the gap between the door seal and the fixed window.

Thanks for the tip on urgency.
Apparently they've had a few popped windows so far and, surprise, once the glass comes off, parts are hard to get.

Quick Reply: Tracking Defender issues