2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tracking Defender issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2021, 10:39 AM
Mudding
Received 270 Likes on 108 Posts

Driving on the highway a few days ago with cruise control on. Out of nowhere the cruise control shuts down followed by the messages:
(from what I can remember, not exact wording)
Cruise Control Unavailable
Lane Keep Assist Unavailable
Emergency Breaking Unavailable
Cameras Unavailable
Cross Traffic Warning Unavailable
also, the speed limit “sign” no longer displayed

I ignored all that and just kept driving. To my surprise, after around 30 minutes, everything came back online.
So at least the computer was able to reset all these systems without a “reboot”.

The following users liked this post:
XCELLER8 (11-26-2021)
Old 11-26-2021, 06:00 AM
Mudding
Received 78 Likes on 45 Posts

I got my Defender in June 2020 (one of the first sold in New Jersey) and have 32,685 miles. I have had few issues but still love it. Here are my issues:

1) Coolant level low warning would go off but was not low. Known issue which was fixed on first service
2) My auto high beam assist is defaulted on by me in the settings. However, once or twice a month it will flip off and if I toggle it back on, it will flip off again before my very eyes (like it is possessed). It's a known issue w/ a fix--getting that fixed next month.
3) On Pivi Pro, about once a week the rear set air conditioning temps are in Celsius instead of Fahrenheit. Next day is fine.
4) My Pivi Pro Sirius XM will die constantly. If you hold the power button for 20 secs it will reset and be fine but it is highly annoying (as from time to time it will cause your pre-set radio stations to disappear). I have a service appt in December and will get it upgraded to version 3.0 and hoping that my fix it.
5) I am not getting software over the air updates any more it seems. Earlier this year, I got a message something to the effect of: "download failed - memory full" (I am one of the early owners) and I think that is the problem. Have service appt next month to address that.
6) I had major issues with my passenger side A-pillar making that annoying rattle noise. The first fix was a disaster as the A-pillar flew off a couple weeks later (and dented my vehicle slightly when it flew off). The 2nd fix did solve the issue for several months but I am noticing recently that it is starting to make that noise again.
7) Sunroof wouldn't open for a couple weeks and then it just started working on its own again. Sometimes it won't close, but I figured out how to reset the sunroof so it will close.
8) I had a rattle sound coming from the rear but the dealer figured out the source and fixed it perfectly.
9) If I pre-program home/work addresses in the Pivi Pro navigation system, they disappear a couple weeks later, but it's not a biggie because I use Apply car play.
10) The seats stain quite easily--even just from water on the First Addition. Apparently, the seats are quite durable but the fire retardant that they spray on during the final step is what causes the issue. It's a known problem with a fix and the dealer was able to remove the stains free of charge.
11) The vehicle gets rock chips far more easily than other other vehicle I have owned. I purchased some touch up paint and it helps a little.
12) The rear camera when going into reverse has a mind of its own. I would say it doesn't come on about 5% of the time.

Off all the items, the biggest disappointment was when my A-pillar went flying off. That is an engineering issue. The Sirius XM radio crashing constantly is getting on my nerves too but I am hoping with the upgrade to Pivi Pro 3.0 (assuming the dealer can upgrade me) will maybe fix that issue.
----------------------------------------------------------
2020 Defender 110 First Edition Indus Silver (Current)
2020 Discovery HSE Luxury Si6 Fuji White (Current)
2015 RRS Autobiography Fuji White (Former)
2011 RRS Supercharged Fuji White (Former)
2008 LR2 Fuji White (Former)

Old 11-26-2021, 06:07 AM
WMN
Three Wheeling
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

7) Sunroof wouldn't open for a couple weeks and then it just started working on its own again. Sometimes it won't close, but I figured out how to reset the sunroof so it will close.

Please let us know how to reset...just in case.

Thanks.

TheJsasse (11-08-2022)
Old 11-26-2021, 06:15 AM
Mudding

If your sunroof won't close, the trick to reset it is to hold it either in the open position or closed position (I can't remember which one) for about 20 seconds and it resets the system and it will close fine.

Originally Posted by WMN

Please let us know how to reset...just in case.

Thanks.

The following 2 users liked this post by Tucker Woods:
D90Hope (11-27-2021), GavinC (11-26-2021)
Old 11-26-2021, 10:41 AM
WMN
Three Wheeling
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Tucker Woods
If your sunroof won't close, the trick to reset it is to hold it either in the open position or closed position (I can't remember which one) for about 20 seconds and it resets the system and it will close fine.
Thanks!
Hoping I never need this but good to know.

The following 2 users liked this post by WMN:
D90Hope (11-27-2021), Tucker Woods (11-26-2021)
Old 11-27-2021, 09:29 AM
Drifting
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Tucker Woods - detailed post!

RE: 8) I had a rattle sound coming from the rear but the dealer figured out the source and fixed it perfectly.
- Do you happen to know what was the source of the rattle sound? I have a rattle in the rear of my vehicle and my dealer failed to fix it the
first time. It seemed to have abated slightly when they brought it back but after a day or two the rattle had returned.

Here are my issues with the 110 v8 2022 model:
  1. Rattle in rear
  2. Remote start no longer works
  3. Hot spot does not work
  4. Sometimes does not turn on (have to try a couple times)
  5. Engine coolant leak
This is all within a couple months so I now officially have the jitters regarding the vehicle for which I had had such high expectations.

Old 11-27-2021, 12:40 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Dndicicco
Tucker Woods - detailed post!

RE: 8) I had a rattle sound coming from the rear but the dealer figured out the source and fixed it perfectly.
- Do you happen to know what was the source of the rattle sound? I have a rattle in the rear of my vehicle and my dealer failed to fix it the
first time. It seemed to have abated slightly when they brought it back but after a day or two the rattle had returned.

Here are my issues with the 110 v8 2022 model:
  1. Rattle in rear
  2. Remote start no longer works
  3. Hot spot does not work
  4. Sometimes does not turn on (have to try a couple times)
  5. Engine coolant leak
This is all within a couple months so I now officially have the jitters regarding the vehicle for which I had had such high expectations.
Sorry to hear about your issues. I also had a situation where the vehicle would not turn on but only happened once to me. When that does happen, how do you get it to come back on?

In regards to the rattle in the back, the truck weather strip was starting to rip causing it to not seal correctly when closing the door and the trunk guide had excessive play causing the lid to shift against the weather strip causing some damage and wind noise. They removed and replaced the weather strip and it really did the trick. They also special ordered a trunk guide part but I don't think that ever arrived (or if it did, they didn't tell me).
/----------------------------------------------------------

Dndicicco (11-27-2021)
Old 11-27-2021, 12:43 PM
Drifting
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Super helpful! Thank you and will mention checking the weather strip to the dealer.

Poor syntax on my part - the car does not turn on when pressing the on button inside. It's a bit finicky and sometimes I have to press two or three times for the car to start. Nothing is catching or sounds off from the vehicle, so I'm assuming an electronic issue with the key fob.

Originally Posted by Tucker Woods
Sorry to hear about your issues. I also had a situation where the vehicle would not turn on but only happened once to me. When that does happen, how do you get it to come back on?

In regards to the rattle in the back, the truck weather strip was starting to rip causing it to not seal correctly when closing the door and the trunk guide had excessive play causing the lid to shift against the weather strip causing some damage and wind noise. They removed and replaced the weather strip and it really did the trick. They also special ordered a trunk guide part but I don't think that ever arrived (or if it did, they didn't tell me).
/----------------------------------------------------------

Old 11-27-2021, 01:31 PM
Mudding
Received 85 Likes on 37 Posts

Super helpful! Thank you and will mention checking the weather strip to the dealer.

Poor syntax on my part - the car does not turn on when pressing the on button inside. It's a bit finicky and sometimes I have to press two or three times for the car to start. Nothing is catching or sounds off from the vehicle, so I'm assuming an electronic issue with the key fob.
This might not be it, but are you depressing the brake hard enough? All my cars are push to start/stop, and in every single one, if it fails to start, it’s because I’m not applying enough pressure to the brake.

Old 11-27-2021, 02:57 PM
Mudding
Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts

Do you get a message on the screen when it fails to start?

Quick Reply: Tracking Defender issues