2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What’s the most annoying rattle you’ve found (and fix?)

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2022, 04:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 682 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by alps.defender
this squeak is very high pitched correct? I push on the plastic surround on the screen behind the steering wheel on lower left corner and it goes away. I push on the padded trim to the left of that above the dash cubby hole and it goes away. Wondering where best to jam in some felt padding
Yes, that is it. I removed the padded trim piece and applied black adhesive felt to the edges that contact the pieces above and below the padded trim piece.

Old 01-17-2022, 06:00 PM
Mudding
Received 270 Likes on 108 Posts

Yet another tail-gate noise fixed. This one was a ticking sound like a coasting bicycle (turned out to be plastic-on-plastic contact).
Just a bit of painters tape applied to the bezel/latch and ticking sound completely gone.
It appears that Land Rover knows about his as they attempted two different solutions.
1) a piece of rubber inside the latch (arrow in photo)
2) a plastic extension added to the tail-gate-wedge to make contact with the rubber
That’s some “interesting” (and failed) engineering.
In my case, neither solution worked (and the plastic extension broke off).

Old 01-18-2022, 09:26 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 418 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulLR
Yes, that is it. I removed the padded trim piece and applied black adhesive felt to the edges that contact the pieces above and below the padded trim piece.
I believe I have this one as well. Mine is the trim that runs along the dash but squeaks right below the driver side air vent. Luckily this one is producible by just moving it so I am sure I can get it fixed pretty easily by LR.

Old 01-18-2022, 09:27 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 418 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by dj200
Yet another tail-gate noise fixed. This one was a ticking sound like a coasting bicycle (turned out to be plastic-on-plastic contact).
Just a bit of painters tape applied to the bezel/latch and ticking sound completely gone.
It appears that Land Rover knows about his as they attempted two different solutions.
1) a piece of rubber inside the latch (arrow in photo)
2) a plastic extension added to the tail-gate-wedge to make contact with the rubber
That’s some “interesting” (and failed) engineering.
In my case, neither solution worked (and the plastic extension broke off).

haha this is good to know.....within a week of owning the car I caught that plastic piece on my jacket and it snapped off. I wasnt sure what the point of it was and everything seemed to still work fine so I just left it. Haven't heard and noise from the rear luckily.

Old 01-21-2022, 08:22 AM
Overlanding
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Nice one.

Originally Posted by Dogpilot
I was reading this thread with a bemused expression. Now paying $100K for a vehicle and having noises is annoying and I mean no disrespect to the previous writers. However, if any had owned original Defenders or Series vehicles this thread would cause uncontrolled laughter, life threatening laughter. If you had taken a Defender or Series to the dealer and complained about the noises your answer would have been, "its a Land Rover Mate." Oh, and it leaks a bit from here and there, "its a Land Rover Mate." In fact, if the noises really bothered you, Land Rover Engineering, in fact the legendary Special Vehicles Unit designed these two flaps just below the windshield. If the noises bothered you, you simply opened them to let in overwhelming noises from the engine and road. Violá, no more noise from the cabin. Of course you gradually went deaf and the flaps where no longer needed to drown out the noises. Now some people mistakenly think the flaps where there for air. Well yes, they did let in some air, usually superheated air. Land Rover did realize there was a flaw in the noise flaps. It also allowed man eating insects to enter the cabin at highway speeds, they didn't even need to sting you, the impact was enough. So they offered small "optional" screens to let the insects smash into them and spray you with a nice even coating of insect innards. It is where I discovered I really don't like the taste of insects. I finally invested in a Fairy Overdrive for my Series III diesel. It was kind of a slow, moving guardrail slow. Now the overdrive allowed me to get to minimum Autostrada speeds while I lived in Italy. Of course it was a gradual acceleration and one needed patience. However the addition of yet one more gearbox and another rattling shift leaver made the sum of the noise at lets say 115 KPH, was astounding. So one wore earplugs. I always have earplugs, pilots have to, especially if you ever work off a carrier, that's noise.

I coughed out a good amount of scotch reading this. You owe me a nip.

Old 02-08-2022, 01:01 PM
Drifting
Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

Question:
Has anyone taken off the Driver Air Vent; closest to the door? Wondering how easy that is to pop out. After some off-roading in Death Valley, that's started to creak a lot. If I push the air vent (left side) and push it into the dash (right side); the squeaking stops. But I cannot reasonably just HOLD it all the time. And I think this is something I can fix vs taking it into the dealership.

Additional Squeak/Rattle: I think I also have the speaker frequency issue. Going to see if I can address that with dealership (or watch a PowerfulUK video on how they removed that door piece...)

Rear Squeak/Rattle: When you remove the boot cover and the styrofoam piece, there is a Black Brace bar where the bolt/nut is loose. I've just used a wrench to really tighten it, and that's solved that one.

Appreciate any help on the air vent; doesn't really happen on smooth roads, but any minor bump, it rattles as the dash flexes.

Thanks!

Old 02-08-2022, 04:20 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I presume you start by removing the grab handle at the end of the dash. Really easy with the exposed torx screws.

I removed the left grab handle to stuff foam & felt under the two rounded leather trim pieces under the left vent. Both were squeaking badly.

Old 02-08-2022, 05:58 PM
Drifting
Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulLR
I presume you start by removing the grab handle at the end of the dash. Really easy with the exposed torx screws.

I removed the left grab handle to stuff foam & felt under the two rounded leather trim pieces under the left vent. Both were squeaking badly.
Of course! That left grab handle. I'm going to start with that and try to see if I can adjust it. That's extremely helpful. Will follow up if that solves the air vent rattle/squeak!

Thank you!

Old 02-12-2022, 06:43 PM
Banned
Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by James_newdefender110
Hey all, I have the 110 SE 240, i get wind noise over 70 which sounds like something rattling behind the headlining at the front of the vehicle. Possibly the way the wind is hitting the screen?! Also creeky drivers door seal, not every journey, I can't work out if its temperature related, would a dry PTFE spray work?
I have the headliner rattle as well, I think it is a small air leak somewhere. Did you ever figure it out?

Old 02-13-2022, 06:43 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by MERCTwister
I have the headliner rattle as well, I think it is a small air leak somewhere. Did you ever figure it out?
https://landroverforums.com/forum/20...noises-110254/

Quick Reply: What’s the most annoying rattle you’ve found (and fix?)