2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What options would you add to this build??? 🤷🏼‍♂️

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2021, 09:56 AM
Mudding
Received 116 Likes on 58 Posts

Plenty of options I could see eliminating............Its a shame to buy a Defender without an Off-Road Pack...........Might as well get a Range Rover Sport!!!!

The following users liked this post:
wjsj69 (07-07-2021)
Old 07-07-2021, 10:00 AM
Winching
Received 561 Likes on 252 Posts

The X includes off-road and Advanced off-road packs as standard equipment, at least here in the US. That's why you don't see them in the options.

Old 07-07-2021, 11:12 AM
Winching
Received 246 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by stillruns
Good point about the 4 year warranty. What does that cover?

Again, if you plan on keeping the vehicle past the included 4 year warranty, it would be wise to at least research what warranty options are available. When something goes wrong with these vehicles, the cost to repair is through the roof. If you just spent $80,000 on a new truck, why not spend the money for a warranty to have peace of mind when something does go wrong?
I agree. It would be wise to always consider your options.

Old 07-07-2021, 12:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 700 Likes on 405 Posts

Pseftis:

You have stepped into the middle of what we on this forum now fully appreciate to be an unexpected buyers' conumdum; namely that Land Rover has clearly paid the necessary price in its core design to make New Denfender their finest off-road offering ever, even to the point of being in a position to claim the vehicle is possibly the most capable and focused of any global vehicle out-of-the-box, anywhere; yet, they also are offering options and making automobile configuration choices available to the buyer which do not make sense, from an off-road point of view.

The significant design prices paid to achieve off-road and overlanding performance include: a heavy body weight to obtain unprecented torsional rigidity and roof-top carrying capacity, limiting space within the vehicle to enable the best available approach, departure and breakover angles, creation of Terrain Response 2 to enable those living off-road in trying conditions to optimize the drivetrain setup for their unique off-roading driving approach, use of off-road video capabiilties, the offering of a suitable off-road tire for all wheel sizes, retaining the top-of-line tow limits of at least 7500 lbs, and the retaining LR sitting comfort, sightlines and ride quality to enable travel off-road for long distances, comfortably.

Configuration choices which fly directly in the face of the off-road/overlanding mission focus include: 22 inch wheels, most particularly; 20 inch wheels and 19 inch wheels also -- because off-road tires are not available reliably in 19 inch, and 20 inches is too large to be used primarily off-road (but converting is easy); making the rear locking ediff optional (the reason to buy the off-road pack), no sufficient standard rear recovery points and undertray armor, offering of a V8 engine, and NOT having ready with outside suppliers necessary supplies to confidently go off-road. Finally, their dealers seem complicit in this choice confusion, as they appear to be shepherding buyers towards less than critical option choices and ordering units for their lots filled with these options. (Yes, profit probably has something to do with it).

The conumdum places all New Defender buyers in making a choice upfront as to how they will use the vehicle. The interesting point is that JLR has many vehicles which one can buy which are nearly/somewhat as capable off-road, but better on-road (mostly due to their lighter weight per Horsepower (RR Sport).

I thought this primer might help.

Enjoy !

Old 07-07-2021, 12:25 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

For all the reasons @TrioLRowner said, you have a very impressive off-road vehicle. The tires are your only off-road limiter, though that too is a choice re: how you want to drive it. If you get into anything gravel+ oriented, go down to 20" and if you get serious convert to 18". I believe you already have the Off-road pack standard so the e-Diff is covered. Though you likely won't know what that is<g> (I say this in kind hearted jest as I don't understand most of what I have).

The question is the Warranty. The key here is that it is not an Extended Warranty. You are on your own as far as JLR is concerned. These are actually Vehicle Service Plans that are being sold and called "Extended Warranties". They are fundamentally different. On a down side, there is no broader ownership from Land Rover after the warranty goes out and each local Dealer negotiates their own 3rd party. So they have widely varying terms, costs, coverage, etc. In fact, if you go this route you should shop around to true third parties who likely cover more for less. On a good side, as Vehicle Service Warranties you don't have to go to the dealer. However, since most of the PIA are technology related, you'll likely wind up at the dealer anyway where you will find the true details of what you bought. My dad always said, you don't know your insurance until you need to use it. I suspect the same here!

Whether to get it or not is way personal. Many do, many don't and each have a personal risk to cost that they assess. To me, they wouldn't sell them (even on JLR vehicles) if they didn't make money.

Good luck!

Old 07-07-2021, 12:52 PM
Mudding
Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

I am LMFAO at some of the off-road snobbery we have going on here. Absolutely hilarious.

The following users liked this post:
AvoTow (07-07-2021)
Old 07-07-2021, 03:37 PM
Drifting
Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by sblvro
Front tow hook, rear towing package, rear third row with climate, etc
Have the towing package along with 3rd row with climate 👌🏻

Old 07-07-2021, 03:39 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by wjsj69
What a sad state of affairs. ..Just the fact that LR even offers 22" wheels on their "utility" offering is so disappointing and dumb.
Agree
Will be purchasing new 20”s for it
pretty Sure smallest I can go is 19 with the calipers on the X

Old 07-07-2021, 03:43 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Barstoolman1127
Plenty of options I could see eliminating............Its a shame to buy a Defender without an Off-Road Pack...........Might as well get a Range Rover Sport!!!!
off road pack is standard on X 👌🏻

also, it’s already built and being shipped (wanted one sooner than later) so can’t eliminate anything, there were a few things I didn’t want that it came with as well

Last edited by Pseftis; 07-07-2021 at 03:46 PM.
Old 07-07-2021, 05:10 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

@Pseftis many folks on the threads report having challenges finding a wide selection of tires for the 19's. The 20's appear to have more tire options. As you pointed out, getting 18's on it will be a big effort because you have to change the rear calipers. Someone with deeper experience with tires should give more pro's/cons of 19 vs. 20 if you can find the tire models you want for either.